R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2001, 09:45 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation KO Discharger?? 5 amps??

I have a KO Propo Discharger, however it only discharges at a max rate of 5 amps. Is this a problem? If I have to get a new discharger, which one do you recommend for 3000's and 2400's.
Thanks.
rccarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 10:00 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Is the Trinity Real Time 2 ok for Sanyo 3000HV's? Is this a good discharger in general?
I know that 3000's don't need to be discharged till there close to empty, that they shouldn't be but I'd rather discharge them and put a little bit of charge in them after.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:09 AM   #3
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Depends what you want to do. If you are just discharging the residue charge after a run then 5A is not too bad. If you are using to discharge fully charged packs then its probably not so good because the packs will soften. The Trinty RT2 is also around 5A (I think!). It is very good for residue discharge but the unit will get damn hot after taking down a fully charged pack.

As for good dischargers this will depend on your budget! In general a good discharger will be more expensive than a good charger.

For the likes charger/dischargers; Protrak, GM Commander and Turbo 35BL, there is more money going into the discharge circuit than the charge circuit. All are very good.

I only know of three dedicate dischargers, the KO, Orion and Tekin (I think Kyosho also use to make one)

The Tekin is probably the best (but I don't know if you can still buy it). The Orion is good value for money it has 30A, 25A and 20A discharge, but it only "counts" the capacity of the cell rather than measuring it, and it doesn't give avg voltage of the pack. The KO you already have!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:11 AM   #4
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by rccarracer
Is the Trinity Real Time 2 ok for Sanyo 3000HV's? Is this a good discharger in general?
I know that 3000's don't need to be discharged till there close to empty, that they shouldn't be but I'd rather discharge them and put a little bit of charge in them after.
If you plan on part charging 3000s it not necessary to equalise them on a discharge tray like the RT2 first. You only need to discharge and equalise them on thr RT2 before you do a full charge on the 3000s.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:10 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

What do you think fo the GM commander? The thing is I already have a Millennium charger so I don't want another charger.
Is the Indi Octane 2 any good. The only thing that worries me is there is no cut off, so what do you recommend?
Old 12-05-2001, 04:45 AM   #6
dtm
Tech Champion

Sorry rccarracer- The GM is the only one I haven't owned so I can't comment! I like the Turbo and Protrak for different reasons but I currently have a Protrak!

The Indi discharge boards are usually copies of the Trinty boards, but cheaper in price!

The RT2 will discharge cells indivdually so you don't have to worry about going negative. If you leave the cells in the RT2 (and probably Indi) they will go down to around 0.02v per cell after about 15 minutes (after the lights have gone out). I would recommend the RT2 for equalising the cells before charging. The GM/Turbo etc are good for cycling cells and taking measurements of the packs performance (they're not bad chargers too!! )