R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default ADVANTAGES and Disadvantages of Tamiya kits (compare to others)

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Tamiya kits...??? Just wondering because some says Tamiya kits suck and some says they are great and wonderful...

[Tamiya] [Hot Bodies]

[Futaba] [SpeedPassion] [LRP] [YeahRacing] [3Racing] [Imax]
Xanavi_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

Sashi...

to each his own.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanavi_R34 View Post
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Tamiya kits...??? Just wondering because some says Tamiya kits suck and some says they are great and wonderful...
Anyone that says Tamiya's kits suck really know nothing about kits. ALL of their kits are well thought out & easy to get started on, & they even have differing levels of car to suit different skill levels of builder/driver(something XRay can't say, for sure). Plus, the plastic-tub Tamiyas(likethe TA05 & TB02, for example) are EXCEPTIONALLY tough, perfect for a beginner(beginners ALWAYS tend to hit things early on, which can really smash the more expensive cars, but the tub cars like the TB02 & TA05 can take almost ANYTHING, they're tough as tanks so they'll take the punishment & keep running), & cars like the TA05 are tend to handle VERY well & it can stay competitive, even after a driver has gained a lot more experience(it can grow with the driver). In fact, while I also have oneof Tamya's TRF cars(a 415 MSX), when I go outside to do some parking lot racing, my TA05 is still my weapon of choice(my MSX is more of a carpet car the way it's setup, & I intend to keep it that way). And even better, you can find the '05 for a LOT less than any of the "luxury" cars, & you can even get one heavily optioned(like their TA05R) for a good price, like around $260 or so(& it has a LOT of hopups on it at that price). plus, while this is less important for racing, Tamiya also makes some of the most detailed bodies ANYWHERE, so they can look good on a shelf or on the track(makes their Tamiya Championship Series races very interesting to watch, all sorts of different bodies you don't see anywhere else). And that also brings up another little thing you can enjoy with a Tamiya(if you're close enough to do it), the TCS races. They do regional events across the country, & all you need to race is a Tamiya car(race entry is FREE, but they do have some car rules that you have to be aware of, if you're curious, check out www.tamiyausa.com & look at their TCS section, has all the rules & class information, plus where & when all the TCS races are). Trust me, there's NOTHING wrong with having a Tamiya, they STARTED the touring car craze in the first place & they're keeping up with it nicely.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

Tamiya is one of the pioneers of RC. The latest 30 years of RC have been highly influenced by Tamiya and the current TC electric landscape that we know today has been heavily driven by them. as Grizzbob says, they cover the whole spectra of RC, from the initiation kit to the pro level, on-road, off-road, electric, nitro.

Their manuals covers every step with details and are the baseline to which every company in this world compares to... they have the advantage of not needing words to express what is intended, I wish other brands were able to do that as well....

Tamiya parts always match perfectly. No matter what kit you have, no grinding is necessary (99.95% of the cases). You can share parts between their different kits, so tuning options are endless.
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Pretty much everything Tamiya makes is slickly engineered, well produced, and has the best instruction manuals in the industry. Im relatively new to RC, but Ive had HPI and Tamiya cars, and while the HPI was nice, the Tamiya was nearly perfect.

Ive assembled a few of their plastic models, and they are gorgeous kits, too
Frost99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Tamiya's TRF kits are beautiful!!
CAT Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Tech Master

thanks guys for your inputs about tamiya kits and some other branded kits... For me, I really love TAMIYA, and never will I go to other brands (even just try them out, NO)... I love driving Tamiya kits especially (yes) the TA05 kit, it is like WOW, what the hell?!?! Very nice...

Yeah, I also agree with the bodies, they tend to make it very realistic and they really carbon copy the real car... With the big details to the very small details...

[Tamiya] [Hot Bodies]

Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
B3x
Tech Adept

Parts availability and cost might be the issue for some in the US.
I have built several Tamiya kits in the past 3 years and will keep going for most of the reasons listed in the previous messages.
I was however looking hard at the new TC5, parts availability will not be an issue.
But I just ordered a TA05MS...

Tamiya can be a bit addictive.
B3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:46 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3x View Post
Parts availability and cost might be the issue for some in the US.
I have built several Tamiya kits in the past 3 years and will keep going for most of the reasons listed in the previous messages.
I was however looking hard at the new TC5, parts availability will not be an issue.
But I just ordered a TA05MS...

Tamiya can be a bit addictive.
Yeah, I agree with you... Price can be so much of an issue, even here in my country... But what the hell, its our hobby, they are like that and there is no such thing as cheap anymore in this world when it comes to RC, I think... hahaha...

I agree also with tamiya can be a bit of addictive, not just a bit but so much, especially there bodies...

[Tamiya] [Hot Bodies]