R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene
Default Good beginner car for electric onroad

I have been racing 1/8 off-road for awhile and enjoy it very much but want to also race elecric onroad.

I currently have a Tamiya TB4 which has a Castle Creation 7700 in it. I bought it from a guy real cheap. Can this car be competative? Its shaft drive and I see most cars are belt drive. Should I just buy something newer and if so what car is good for a beginer who learns fast?

I was thinking about either tyhe new serpent that will be out next week , the xray or the Losi. I would like to run 19turn brushed as I already have an old Tekin speed control thats laying around. Suggestions on motors are also welcome.

Thanks
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would sugest a TC3 they are a great beginner car good luck.
Branden Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Can't go wrong with an X-ray. They are very durable and handle well right out of the box. Downside is parts are pricey, but that's offset by they don't break or wear out. Also Fk05's can be had for very reasonable prices.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If your have been racing 1/8th offroad and you have had success of tuning the engine, setting up the car and understand the mechanics to repair the buggy on your own then your not limited to a "good beginer" car. You need to ask your self what you plan to do with the car? IF your just going to bash? Then get the cheapest car you can and slap on a sexy body and set of wheels that turn your crank. But if your looking to go racing the get your self a pro level car. If you can handle 1/8th you can handle the task of building and tuning a pro level sedan. (but dont assume that you will be able to drive it instantly fast though offroad and onroad are two different skill sets)

PRO cars to look for:
Tamiya 415 versions 12345678910
Xray T2'007
Corrally Phi
Hotbodies cyclone
losi jrxspro
ae tc5
shumacher mi3
many others............
Old 07-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
I have been racing 1/8 off-road for awhile and enjoy it very much but want to also race elecric onroad.

I currently have a Tamiya TB4 which has a Castle Creation 7700 in it. I bought it from a guy real cheap. Can this car be competative? Its shaft drive and I see most cars are belt drive. Should I just buy something newer and if so what car is good for a beginer who learns fast?

I was thinking about either tyhe new serpent that will be out next week , the xray or the Losi. I would like to run 19turn brushed as I already have an old Tekin speed control thats laying around. Suggestions on motors are also welcome.

Thanks
It is a great car to race and it is still competitive enough for clubracing. Stick to it. You could buy a new car but will it make you faster. As you know it is the man behind the wheel who is in control of the car. Advantage of a shaft drive is there is no stretching of belts, it accelerate faster and maintanance is less. I drive a Yokomo SD LCG which is also a shaft drive. I prefer sahft above belt. Advantage of the belt cars is that the end speed is higher less rotating parts. It is up to you. I wouldn't recommend the Serpent car. I live in the area of the factory and it is still in devolpment, that is the trick behind Serpent. I remember the Impact series which would be a spec class for nitro until the aftermarket parts came and it became again a high end class. No offense to Serpent it is a great car but the Xray is a better car (or is the Serpent a copy of it, Xray is distributed by Serpent here).
For you: stick to the TB IV, there are enough replacement parts for it available and why do you need another car?
MrUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Default Beginner

I think XRay still makes the T2R, its a great car to begin with, its cheap and has a great design compared to other kits in the same price range.
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

What does your LHS stock? Are there sponsered guys selling cars off cheap you can get your hands on? With so many cars out there you need to choose one you can get help and parts for easily. Don't buy a "beginner" car or low-end kit you'll out grow fast. You'll end up buying twice.

The Losi xxx-s is still a great, easy to drive and durable car.Parts are still available, and you can get your hands on one cheap if you look around. I had a rtr version that I replaced the electronics on over time and it was a great car, I never messed with set-ups it just drove itself.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

thanks for the tips. I will start of with my tamiya. what brushless motors are equivalent to a 19 turn?
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
thanks for the tips. I will start of with my tamiya. what brushless motors are equivalent to a 19 turn?
Novak 10.5 and Orion 10.5
Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Also the Novak ss#4300.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote