R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default Whats The Best Li-po for Performance only?

Was only interested in the best performing li-po (7.4volt)

as i will be racing stock 27t,

So punch , voltage, is everything!!!

I know i have herd that all li-po's are prety much the same, but surely they are even a little Different in performance????

thanks......
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

They actually aren't all the same under load and of the two I've really seen compared that I trust in a safety standpoint is the Trakpower and Orion packs. Trakpower tends to hold higher voltages than the Orion on lower loads seen in stock racing. Orion's are more suited for modified. On that note, I've heard not many optimistic things about the lifespan of Trakpower's packs.

The new Cores, I don't know enough about and I will not recommend soft-cased packs for our purposes anymore.

Last edited by kuzo; 07-26-2007 at 07:04 AM. Reason: sPeElling miTsakes
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I love LiPo, but you're probably going to be at a disadvantage in stock if other people are running NiMH. So, depending on how competitive you are, and the racing is, it's hard to recommend LiPo at all for stock racing in sedans if every last .1 volt means the difference to you. Now, if you can get away with running your car lighter, then LiPo could be great for you. LiPo's day in stock racing will probably be when weight rules change, or everybody switches. Unfortunately, low-power motors like stock don't take advantage of everything LiPo has to offer.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Check out the Flightpower Evo 30 Lipos. Most batteries (like the Orion and Trakpower) have a 20C constant discharge, the Flightpower have a 30C constant discharge rate.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Why won't lipos be as good for stock racing compared to NiMH?
magerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

For me...or running club racing...that does not bother me.

However, for the A-main level drivers...it is 7.5+V vs 7.4V (lets say everyone need to run the legal weight)......and if running stock, every thing counts.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by magerp View Post
Why won't lipos be as good for stock racing compared to NiMH?
Lower voltage. NiMH packs peak out at 9+ volts, and LiPo stops at 8.4. LiPo batteries hold their voltage under load much better, but stock racing doesn't seem to create enough load to make a difference, so NiMH has a slight edge in stock. It's not huge, but it's there. It begins to matter a lot less in faster classes like mod, or if minimum weight rules are revised.

For me, competitive as I am, I'd still rather use LiPo, and try to make up for it with driving and setup. Or maybe drop some weight and see how that works out. LiPo is a much better experience in general.

It's important to understand and LiPo and NiMH are apples and oranges. We're finding ways to run them together, which is nice, but ultimately, in competitive racing, we're going to have to decide on one or the other. The same is true for stock brushless. They're close enough that we can run them together, but eventually we'll have to decide on one to keep things "fair," because they're too different to make things fair between them.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Well put syndr0me. Honestly as much complaining there is about too many classes already, open up new classes and let the chips fall where they may. I would bet that if you laid out to someone getting started in racing that they can choose the NiMH/brushed path or the lipo/brushless and showed what was required for each most would pick the lipo/brushless. Wish I had that option when I started out myself - learn to drive and setup my car not play with batteries and motors all the time. 3 kids with RCs led to the path of expediency for me.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I love LiPo, but you're probably going to be at a disadvantage in stock if other people are running NiMH. So, depending on how competitive you are, and the racing is, it's hard to recommend LiPo at all for stock racing in sedans if every last .1 volt means the difference to you. Now, if you can get away with running your car lighter, then LiPo could be great for you. LiPo's day in stock racing will probably be when weight rules change, or everybody switches. Unfortunately, low-power motors like stock don't take advantage of everything LiPo has to offer.
I think you are over exaggerating the difference between the two battery`s ...
Because in off-road at Trcr those who have ran a Orion 3200 Carbon`s in stock have set track records , legal weight and all...

I asked every customer who has purchase their Carbon`s bout the punch and everyone has always responded back they have more punch not less, compared to Nk Ml 4200`s..
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Lower voltage. NiMH packs peak out at 9+ volts, and LiPo stops at 8.4. LiPo batteries hold their voltage under load much better, but stock racing doesn't seem to create enough load to make a difference, so NiMH has a slight edge in stock. It's not huge, but it's there. It begins to matter a lot less in faster classes like mod, or if minimum weight rules are revised.

It's important to understand and LiPo and NiMH are apples and oranges. We're finding ways to run them together, which is nice, but ultimately, in competitive racing, we're going to have to decide on one or the other. The same is true for stock brushless. They're close enough that we can run them together, but eventually we'll have to decide on one to keep things "fair," because they're too different to make things fair between them.
I agree. I guess because there is lower amp draw, Li-po doesnt really get the opportunity to stretch their legs. Unlike the power hungry mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
I think you are over exaggerating the difference between the two battery`s ...
Because in off-road at Trcr those who have ran a Orion 3200 Carbon`s in stock have set track records , legal weight and all...

I asked every customer who has purchase their Carbon`s bout the punch and everyone has always responded back they have more punch not less, compared to Nk Ml 4200`s..
Punch settings for dirt is different for off-road than on-road....you are grasping at straws...shame on you cherry.....

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Tech Lord

I don't think off-road is nearly as voltage intense in stock.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a giant LiPo zealot, but even the best battery can be a square peg if the hole is round enough.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:11 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

My local club is strick on weight, so i have to weigh it up, also its ultra competitive in stock....

hopfully li-po's get better or something, or i hope ni-mh die so every one runs li-po and its even stevens....
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #13
Tech Legend

Quote:
I don't think off-road is nearly as voltage intense in stock.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a giant LiPo zealot, but even the best battery can be a square peg if the hole is round enough.
O ! I heard that one before....

Not being a crazy Pro li-Po guy, learned so far the Carbon is competitive enought that anyone can win with it in the stock class`s...

If you really feel you need that .5 volts that is gone after you run a few hot laps , all the power to yeah ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well when the battery wizards start running Lipos and they start showing us how to over peak a pack. The lipo with the highest over peak rating will be th KING. Then the stock fans will have there lipo day.

Keep your eyes out for the smoke, that will be signal.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was 1 tenth faster with my good NIMH on stock rubber/carpet.

Pretty much the same time as my older avg 4200 packs. The Lipo are relly consistent though. I will now get two good NIMH and run the lipo in practice and in some qualifier
J@UNE is offline   Reply With Quote