R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2003, 02:54 AM   #16
dw
Tech Adept

I think he problem is your bodyshell.

On the pictures there is a large gap between the foam bumper and the shell. The foam bumper might as well not be there.
What happens is you clip a track marking. The shell bends (also the cause of paint loss) and the front corner of the wheelarch stabs the centre of the tyre.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:04 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Thanks for the suggestion, i'm not too sure if I want to spend a few hundred bucks on a truer though... but I guess it would save me money in the long run.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:10 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho

Ask someone at the track to let you use there's. Im sure there are plenty of people that when asked nicely will let you use their truer.
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:25 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Noone at my track has one .
Old 05-01-2003, 05:33 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to munrath

Accord,

It looks like your running the Nitro shoe instead of the Touring car foam. You may want to consider changing; just a suggestion though.

As far as the tire truer goes, it's worth the weight and gold. Get one of your buddies and split the difference. Recommend the OFNA with the Hudy adapter and the Hudy cutting bit.

Mark

Races for 2015:
PNB, AMS, E-Nats Warm-up, E-Nats, LCRC North East Challenge, RAC, LCRC Halloween, Badlands, ROAR Region 2 Series, and Local Club Racing
munrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:31 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

John, a couple people have truers at the track. Not many poeple have been running foams lately, so they dont get them out. The tires do work better and chunk less when trued down.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:33 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

That Hudy fully automatic tire truer is just calling my name... anyone have any experience with it?
Old 05-01-2003, 06:58 AM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

I have a hudy tire truer and it works awesome. It only cuts 1/10th scale and 1/12th but I do not not own a 1/8th scale so no big deal. It's small, compact and with the carbide bit, it cuts awesome. Great investment, approx 300 bucks.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:10 AM   #24
che
Tech Regular

I have the Corally fully automatic tire truer, which is VERY similar .

It is an awesome machine!
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:14 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Definitely true your tires down before you run them!!!

I don't know the mm measurements, I use inches. New foams come out of the package at about 2.5 inches. I usually true them down to about 2.36 before I race them on carpet. I don't have much trouble with chunking, and I do hit the boards every now and then.

Chunking in the center of the tire like you have is usually caused by hitting a board when your wheels are turned to full lock. If you set your car down and turn your steering all the way, push your body back and you will see that the corner of the front wheel well will touch the tire somewhere in the middle. Once it is cut, it won't be long until you lose a chunk.

As far as driving on chunked tires, go for it!!! At club races, I've hardly felt a difference with a chunked tire. Unless the tire has chunks all over it, you should still get some use out of it.

Jeff Gilligan
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:06 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by gotpez
Definitely true your tires down before you run them!!!

I don't know the mm measurements, I use inches. New foams come out of the package at about 2.5 inches. I usually true them down to about 2.36 before I race them on carpet. I don't have much trouble with chunking, and I do hit the boards every now and then.

Jeff Gilligan
can't you just use the mm side of the ruler?
traxxasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:22 PM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

You don't use a ruler, you use a calipers to measure tire diameter. YES DO true your tires down before you use them. 59-60 mm, or 2.36-2.38 in. is good. And thats a really bad chunk in the center, but i've had similar ones that are smaller and i don't know the difference. The only ones you'll feel on the track are the outside rears for the most part.

And yes Plaid front, purple rear....don't know who told you the opposite...

Another thing, toss those 24mm jacos, get 28mm ones.

Also, glue the outside sidewalls of the tires after you true them down. This will help prevent chunking and will help prevent traction rolls.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:29 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzchop
Default chunked tires

first try finding tires from Speedmind they are only 13.00 a pair and chunk less then jacos and your chunk should not effct car much at all I had a chunk almost as bad and my car was dialed all day won evevy heat and main with chunk missing in front tire.
Fuzzchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:28 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to JANTLE

It is correct that your center chunks are from the bodyshell. Gotpez hit it. Trim that tire down and give the bottom front of your wheel arch a little bend to the outside. This will help, and does not hurt the handling of the car enough to notice. This way the tire may rub but not get cut when the body comes in on the tire.
JANTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:46 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

I was just thinking, would it prevent things like this from happening in the future if I line the edges of the wheel wells on my body with fuel tubing?