R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #76
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Can you guys tell me what company makes electric rally car.

I know HPI, and Tamiya any other company?
Clangeddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:16 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well any tc can be converted, as you can see by my earlier post i used a nikko evolution 1/14! actually, i discovered i can fit up to 12AAA batteries in the battery bay. thats 14.4 volts
Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #78
Tech Master

Hi guys, I just wanted to add a couple of coments to you guy's thread. Quite a few years ago, I had one of the HPI rally cars. It was awesome!! I totally tricked it out with all the carbon bits, ball diffs and even had a 2 speed gearbox for it (like on nitro cars). It used to go really well. I also used to race electric buggies at Tiverton. This was an indoor dirt track used for electric buggies but one season, they organised it so that there was a route around the jumps for people to race rally cars. Loads of people turned up! Really good fun to watch all the cars (mainly Impreza's, suprise, suprise!) racing around and the dirt getting kicked up! I ended up selling my car to a mate but I may ask if I could buy it back from him! If anyone could post some more pics of their cars in action, that would be great! All the best guys, Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #79
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
well any tc can be converted, as you can see by my earlier post i used a nikko evolution 1/14! actually, i discovered i can fit up to 12AAA batteries in the battery bay. thats 14.4 volts
Do you have to find any conversion kit with it by any chance?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #80
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Does anyone here have part# A192? 4x50mm layshaft.
4wheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:35 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
what mt parts did you use?
Looks like MT arms for sure. The HPI cars and trucks of that time period (from gearbox original RS4 all the way to the Sport 2/Pro 2, MT, Rally, Mini, etc.) all used the same size inner & outer hinge pins so the arms, uprights, knuckles, hubs, etc., will all fit and interchange. We used to have some fun with that! For instance, put narrowed Mini tires and Mini arms on the front of a Super chassis, and soft wide Super wheels and touring car arms on the rear and you've got a decent dragster

The rally series we used to run at SoCal RC was TC-based cars (one guy with sedan tires on a XX4 didn't like it, but too bad), no buggy tire cut-downs (encouraged spending loads of money), run-what-you-brung action. Loads of fun and extra style points for mud guards, driver figures, lights, etc. Made for a great Friday night.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clangeddin View Post
Do you have to find any conversion kit with it by any chance?
nope you don't neccesarily need conversion kits. more preload on the shocks will instantly give you max ground clearance, and fiddling with the A arms will give you even more.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #83
Tech Adept

Is there a specific website I can read about how to convert to a Rally car (electric)?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #84
Tech Elite

just fiddle. all you do is get some beefed up tyres and give yourself a load more ground clearance and you have a rally car. sure though you may want to have a bash plate and stuff.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #85
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clangeddin View Post
Is there a specific website I can read about how to convert to a Rally car (electric)?
Easiest way:

more ride height -
longer lower ball ends on the shocks (cheapest), or
longer shock shafts, or
buggy front shocks front and rear (most expensive
You might also be able to find RS4 Rally shock sets somewhere, also Tamiya Rally Block tires are touring car size, but have a really high sidewall because of the tread

tires -
HPI X-Pattern or similar semi-slick tires for on-road
HPI Rally (spike) for loose off-road
HPI Pirelli tires for uber-scale looks and hard-pack off-road with a little dust

undertray - helps to slide over jumps
best method: get a sheet of Lexan. Put holes in it to fit over the front body posts. Decide whether you want it to go over or under the foam bumper (over is best IMO). Bend over the front bumper and continue the bend under the car as far as the Lexan will go. Find a convenient place to attach the sheet underneath and use an old piece of bulkhead or plastic shock tower or something to act as a 'nut' on the top side of the main chassis (it needs to be large enough to not go through the chassis), make a hole in the Lexan sheet, then use a button head screw to screw through the Lexan, through a space in the chassis and into the plastic 'nut' piece. I hope that makes sense I just don't have time to make/edit a picture
next-best method: use the undertray like the one made for the RS4 Rally, however eventually this will get damaged and break, and the larger/sturdier undertray described above is better.

Then get a rally-type body and you're good to go
Old 08-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #86
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir miles View Post
Can you mutate it again to 200mm width so you can use a scale body? BTW nice aluminum chassis.

back to 200mm with the 2 speed tranny...only 30 min later. Scale body...it's got one, called the mutant for a reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKinney View Post
Looks like MT arms for sure. The HPI cars and trucks of that time period (from gearbox original RS4 all the way to the Sport 2/Pro 2, MT, Rally, Mini, etc.) all used the same size inner & outer hinge pins so the arms, uprights, knuckles, hubs, etc., will all fit and interchange.
what he said. In the pic I have the 200mm (kit) that i've put together to change between on road and off road.
RS4Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #87
Tech Adept

What Rally car still in production?

I check Tamiya website they seems to be discontinue and HPI RS4 Rally is discontinue too.

Anyone know any current Rally car for sell, that way I can get parts very easy?

Prefer something that is 1/10
Old 08-21-2007, 03:06 AM   #88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The only rally car still in production is the tamiya TLO1, TBO2 and TTO1. These cars all have a sealed drivetrain. But you have to work on the shocks and rideheight for it to handle off road.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:34 AM   #89
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to racer34v

what about the tc3 ''0''
racer34v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #90
Tech Fanatic

I don't think the AE or Losi kits or conversion sets are sold any more unfortunately - in the US there was a big surge of rally kits for a year or two but it fizzled out...too bad!

I think the best option for anyone wanting to build up or convert a kit is to find a Pro 2 on eBay (of course I'm partial to HPI) and do a few mods to get it off-road worthy. The Pro 2's are way durable and nearly impossible to break If you can, find the front skid plate parts tree for the RS4 Rally, it'll never break so you should only have to buy it once

I forgot to mention above that for at least the older HPI cars you have to shave down the front c-hubs to get enough droop on the front end. This is even a standard assembly step for the RS4 Rally.