Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing in the wet - Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

Default Racing in the wet - Setup

Apart from the obvious waterproofing what things need to be done in order to get the car to work well. How different do the settings of the car need to be. Cheers.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Usual advice is quite simple really.
Raise the ride height - if it's very wet (standing water in places), then the car will bottom out on the water, adding drag. Raise the ride hieght up a couple of mm to help. If it's just damp, then you can keep it as is.

Change the tyres - obvious one really. Pitsumi D20 wets (21mm) seem to be the best for the job. Just use a 21mm wheel, and the standard soft foam insert they come with. don't forget to drill out air holes in the wheel too. Also... ring out the insert after every run (squeeze the insert through the tyre, water will come out the air holes), you'll be suprised how much gets soaked up. Being a narrower tyre, they cut through the water very well, and work awesomely on a soaked track.

Setup change - I've personally always found that steering is king in the wet. Make adjustments to your setup to give more steering, and you'l be good to go (lay front shocks in, rear shocks out, softer front spring etc). I'll even put a one-way in the car if I want more.

HiH
Ed