R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 PM   #286
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
What kit am i best using for to put a hammer conversion on? I noticed on haras cars he has a purple damper and purple pod plates? Rick
It says to use L3/4 or YRX. but if you think about it, you can use almost any frontend you want and rear bulkheads..
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:08 PM   #287
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would just pick up a 12L3 and convert it. No need for an L4 or YRX! Mostly what is need is the standoffs from the car (and a few other small things) and the front end.
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #288
Tech Elite

All i have to say about the Hara is...AWESOME!! Its getting better and better everytime.

Another thing to note:
Make sure your on the bottom of the chassis where you put screws in for the rear pod. Make sure they are in TIGHT. If they arent your rear pod and whole rear is gonna be moving which will effect your car greatly.

I am thinking of getting the oldschool front-end for my Hara and see how that works out. It looks very good and my bro just recently got it and its nice. And there is alot of open space between them.

Question: What will a softer center spring do?
Old 01-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #289
Tech Regular

im interested in 1/12th but you cant seem to find them? is thier a company that sells like a rtr or kit 1/12th?
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #290
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to nmt6789

No, there isnt any rtr 1/12ths. There are plenty of 1/12 kits. THe Associated rc12l4, CRC carpet knife etc... Most 1/12 kits are based off of each other so they have the same parts.
nmt6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #291
Tech Regular

whats like the big kit right now? like 1/10ths tc4 is the big car right now? and the kit with the most parts availible for it?
and a kit comes with just a rolling chasis? no electronics, radio, batts, motor, etc
i really like that Associated rc12l4 but is it oval only?

Last edited by kh15; 01-22-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #292
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by JDXray
All i have to say about the Hara is...AWESOME!! Its getting better and better everytime.

Another thing to note:
Make sure your on the bottom of the chassis where you put screws in for the rear pod. Make sure they are in TIGHT. If they arent your rear pod and whole rear is gonna be moving which will effect your car greatly.

I am thinking of getting the oldschool front-end for my Hara and see how that works out. It looks very good and my bro just recently got it and its nice. And there is alot of open space between them.

Question: What will a softer center spring do?
A softer center spring will take away steering both on and off.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:07 PM   #293
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by kh15
whats like the big kit right now? like 1/10ths tc4 is the big car right now? and the kit with the most parts availible for it?
and a kit comes with just a rolling chasis? no electronics, radio, batts, motor, etc
Associated makes an RC12L4 for onroad not just oval. As far as the most popular kit for 12th road is probably the old 12L3 or the 12L4 because you can convert these cars into about anyother 12th scale out there.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #294
Tech Regular

cool thanks! i think i will order it when i get some extra paper in my pocket
Old 01-22-2005, 10:30 PM   #295
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
There are basically three types of 1/12th scale kits. T bar cars, link cars and U block cars. The T bar cars are probably the most common and consist of the Associated 12L3, 12L4, the Trinity Reflex 12, the Yokomo YRX and the Corally cars from Europe. The Associate cars are the easiest to get parts for as most hobby shops carry them. The Trinity car, while very unique and with interesting design features, can prove to be problematic in acquiring parts.

Then come the link cars. These types of cars have a pivot ball connecting the motor pod to the main chassis and two parallel links on either side of the battery pack that keeps the motor pod square to the chassis. These types of cars are the Calandra Carpet Knife (CRC) and the Speed Merchant Rev 3 and Rev 4.

Lastly is the “U” block cars or at least that’s what I call them. They are a derivative of the pivot ball cars but do not use two parallel links. Instead they have a large aluminum block in an upside down U shape that goes through two large diameter coil springs to control the fore/aft and side to side movement. These cars where made by HPI exclusively and are very hard to find as they are not made by HPI any longer. The Hara Hammer 12 is a design by Atsushi Hara that uses an Associated dynamic strut front end with the HPI rear design. These conversion kits are available on a limited basis from Stormer Hobby and some other internet dealers. Hot Bodies is the sole importer.

Now there are a bunch of derivatives of the T bar cars and range from conversion kits to full kits. There is the Josh Cyrl CFX but with his own front suspension design. The Quad 12 from Doug Powell, the IRS Rug Rat and the CRC T Force as well as some others that I may have failed to mention. Most of them use either the Associated Dynamic Strut or the Associated early design front suspension except for the CFX as mentioned. All of them are of very high quality and improve on an already very good design.

The first thing in picking a 1/12th car is first decide what type of racing you are going to do. The general consensus among racers is that for carpet a link car works best for stock racing while a T bar car works best for modified, although I have run both types of cars in both classes. Outdoors on asphalt the T bar cars reigns supreme but again, I have seen link cars run with some success. All of the cars use a center shock/spring system to control fore and aft movement and either dampener plates (Associated) or dampener tubes (CRC, Speed Merchant) to control side to side movement.

There is a lot of part interchangeability between the cars as well as a bunch of aftermarket parts made by independent companies. Which ever car you choose I am sure you will find 1/12th scale cars to be the most fun you will have in RC car racing.

Good Luck!!
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #296
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
the Torque tubes are from a Kawada RSW Limmited 2.. I have done this mode to my Hammer 12 also ...but have yet to get some track time with it
-Dave
Any news on how the torque tubes work on the track?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #297
Tech Regular

Default Re: 1/12 RS12G Atsushi Hara Spec.

what is that little thing its driving me nuts, it right above the top of that main shock its like a little disc with a saft comming out of it and its got the white spring on it and the allen head screw on the top? what is that thing and what does it do?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #298
Tech Elite

does anyone have or know where i can see some more recent pics of Hara's hammer?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:49 PM   #299
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: 1/12 RS12G Atsushi Hara Spec.

Quote:

what is that little thing its driving me nuts, it right above the top of that main shock its like a little disc with a saft comming out of it and its got the white spring on it and the allen head screw on the top? what is that thing and what does it do?
It is called a dampener plate or disc. There are two of them. One on top of the top motor pod plate and one under the top motor pod plate and they are centered with a shaft running up through the center of the discs.

What it does is control the side to side movement of the rear pod. It works very similar to early automotive friction style shock absorbers. In this application, you apply different weights of grease or lube between the two discs and the upper motor pod plate. You can also change the spring from light springs to heavier springs to slow down the movement of the motor pod, side to side. Some racers apply Teflon tape to the top and underside of the motor pod plate to reduce binding. I also have seen the discs made out of solid Teflon as well.

Without it the motor pod would hop from side to side uncontrolled.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:55 PM   #300
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to nmt6789

Why doesnt HPI make a 1/12?? Hara is good at taping his batteries in....
nmt6789 is offline   Reply With Quote