R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You say spinning out on 4 corners on your track.
Are these corners all to the same direction?? at least then we know if there's something wrong with the car or the setup.

How does the car drive in general, is it agressive, difficult to drive round the track??
Old 07-23-2007, 05:18 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quante View Post
You say spinning out on 4 corners on your track.
Are these corners all to the same direction?? at least then we know if there's something wrong with the car or the setup.

How does the car drive in general, is it agressive, difficult to drive round the track??
The car is fine through the rest of the track it is only when accelerating out of the corners, come to think of it they are right hand corners.

Thanks
16skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16skyline View Post
The car is fine through the rest of the track it is only when accelerating out of the corners, come to think of it they are right hand corners.

Thanks
so basically your kit spins out everytime you exit (going to the right) corners??? I think your kit is not balance or something... Just my thoughts...
Xanavi_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #34
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey 16skyline,
Where is that track at? That is a really nice track......

Any luck with your spinning?
Whatchamacallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatchamacallit View Post
Hey 16skyline,
Where is that track at? That is a really nice track......

Any luck with your spinning?
Hobart down in Tasmania.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #36
Tech Addict

When its only in right hand corners you have a problem on the left side of your car.
First check your tweak on a tweak board, then the droop of the left front wheel. shock oil on the left rear wheel could be too hard (maybe accidentally misplaced front and left). bad front left axle,... could be anything

Maybe post a picture of the rear of the car, maybe someone spots somethings thats wrong.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Right Guys/Girls.

I had the car running this weekend, it still doing 360 spins coming out of the corner.

From my original set up I have but harder springs(blue) on the front with softer ones on the back (yellow).

The back springs are set up as follows:

On the arms I have three holes I have set them in the middle one, one the top I have four holes I have put it on the third hole from the out side.

The front springs are as follows:

On the arms I have three holes also and they are in the same spot in the middle, on the top I also have four holes it is set at the first hole from the inside of the chassis.

The camber was 2 on the front and 1.5 on the rear, I changed it to 2 all a round.

On the front I have 2 degrees toe out I think ( at the front i have a 1B suspension mount and the standard one at the rear of the front)

On the rear I have toe in A suspension mount on the front of the rear and 1B on th rear of the rear.

I had a red sway bar on the front and a blue on the rear, took the blue off didn't make a difference.

I used a droop gauge and it is set at 6 on the front (was 4) and 4 on the rear (was 2).

Ride height was 5mm all round, tried 27 take offs and 28 sorex's.

I think that is all my settings can someone please HELP me as I am at a loss.

What ever I do it isn't stopping it from spinning.

P.S all the settings were set up on a station.
DROOP key factor on a car spinning out. 4-6 on droop gauge is very high, try 2-3 front, 1 rear or thereabouts (higher on front) this is what I call "more droop" meaning I allow suspension to work more when unloaded, ie. to travel up more when unloaded so the tires don't loose contact on the inside of the turn while the outside tires are getting more loaded. Also check droop again with car ready to go and tires on - pick up each end in the exact middle, until both tires are off the ground, make sure they free fall OK, check to see that both tires touch at roughly the same time, also check by pushing down on both sides to full travel - see if anything is binding

Try zero front toe. That much toe out really pulls the front end hard into the turns, making the rear swing hard.

Try standing up the front shocks more, try to loosen the front some.

You never mentioned what shock oil and pistons. Make sure there's still oil in the shocks, otherwise they bounce and you lose control somewhat unpredictably.

I always seem to get this backwards, so I hate to even mention it, but ... I think your front end shock mounting is soft (laid over vs. upright). You get more roll with the shocks laid over because for the same vertical shock travel you can roll farther... which puts more weight on the front wheels and you get more traction which switches balance to the front, so the rear end comes around more. Someone else may want to chime in as I hate to get this advice backwards.

I was considering suggesting removing all the sway bars (for sure remove the rear to start) but you said track is smooth. Still you may want to try this.

I looked back through your posts again and you said it's right hand turns. As someone earlier pointed out that heavily indicates tweak (lifting one of the right side tires, probably the right rear) allowing you to loose traction and spin out. I would do #0 (first thing) to check suspension travel on the rear of the car, with everything but body on, lift up in the very center of the rear shock tower and see if the right side wheel lifts off the table before the left. If that's the case it's likely to fix the prob if you fix your droop on that side.

Keep us informed, hopefully you get it nailed this week, it's frustrating to struggle with a car like this. But in the end you learn a lot, and next time it gets easier, and easier, and a lot more fun when you really start figuring it out.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Sorry if I missed this but does it only spin out on corners in the same direction? Like all right turns? It might be tweak.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Could it have something to do with a rear wheel binding on that side? I had similar issues when a chunk of CA on the inside of a tire (I used WAY too much!) rubbed the wheel hub and slowed the wheel when that side was under weight transfer.

When all else fails, take everything apart and put it back together according to spec
Frost99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #40
Tech Master

You have center one-way? Make sure its not on the wrong way or your car will be just rear wheel drive.

Make sure your tires are in good condition. Have you tried using softer in the rear? Your front belts, are too loose? loose belts result in teeth skipping that can off balance the power distribution.

And like everyone else said, check for any tweaks in the chassis. Take your shocks off, make sure there are no bind in the suspension travel(check for bent shock shaft as well). Take your pinion off and spin your drive train. you should be able to spin all four tires just by spinning one.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

mabe unequil caster from side to side
Branden Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
The track is newly laid asphalt so high grip, it is a fairly big track the straight is about 50 meters long. Here is some links to pictures of the track.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5656581...7594583126673/

As for the dampers what is the difference between 2 holes on the disk inside to three holes?

Check that rear shocks have the same size discs (pistons) and the front have the same pistons. Piston holes determine the rate of oil speed on rebound of shock. Meaning it will open up slower with thicker oil or a smaller holed piston. Usually they have a marking to tell you what pistion is there. A slower piston is the same as thicker oil. If you use a stiffer spring then you should use a slower piston or thicker oil. Dump the oil out and add new oil so you know that it's the same. Bleed the air out of the shocks. Do this by extending the now empty shock. Fill the empty shock with oil. Compress shock piston slowly then pull to extend shock slowly to let the air bubbles out of the oil. Try that at least twice or until you see minimal air bubbles. Build shock and do the other three. Remember front from rears. Make sure right side is symetrical to left side of car. Front and rear don't have to be, but left and right are a must. A empty shock or partially empty will also cause spinout because of not dampning properly. If the shock leaks, you will have to change the seals on it. This is why I point out the shocks.

Then try checking for tweak as some guys have already mentioned. Let us know what happens.

BTW that is a nice looking track.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #43
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Burlap

Quote:
Running a diff in the front
Yes, but which diff?

If it is the one way, there is a good chance you are running it the wrong way, which is easy to do with the 415.

I have a huge bet that is your issue.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Do every thing in this thread , then if none of that works get a new car, not a 415
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Hi,

I have pulled my car right down and know going to build it again, on this site in the TRF415 post there is a lot of caster talk, what is it and how do you work this out(using lwt arms) also does the shims under the suspension mounts have something to do with this I have put 0.5mm shimm on the rear of the front. Just following a set up sheet I found.

Also there is a lot of people that use one ways, I am using a normal diff. I am thinking of trying this put have one question one way NO BRAKE how do you slow your car down when using a 19 turn or mod motor?