R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2003, 05:45 AM   #46
Tech Master

i use a reedy mvp [standard out of box] and it beets trinity stock fully tuned on dynos.
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:36 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to omalley

i just got my monster stock. ran it at 74/22 but was pretty hot after a couple minutes so i pulled it out. was a good overall starting point. I am going to swap out the 74-48p and go to 64pitch gearing so i am open to some suggestions.
omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:54 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Default Monster Stock Gearing

Guys;

For Small to Medium Tracks, start with a Final Drive Ratio bwteen 7.5 to 8.0 and adjust from there. The MS performs best when it is allowed to Rev.
I am running 7.87 FDR with mine and very seldom is anyone faster on the Straights.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:44 AM   #49
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Calvin & sup, for the record, no, The Monster doesn't make more torque than the others(at least not at low speeds, at low speed it actually makes less than any stock motor I've seen), but at mid-range to top end, it makes as much or more than any others. It is most definitely a rev-happy motor, so it's not happy unless it's geared just right(very much like the Green Machine 3). But when it is geared right, it does run very strong, & it's great when you need to carry speed through corners(that's where its torque at high rpm makes itself known)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:34 PM   #50

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

how much better is it compared to the p2k and the p2k 2 pro????

is it like twice as fast?
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:40 PM   #51
Suspended

It the best stock motor out there. It is faster
R C king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:52 PM   #52
Tech Adept

Fastest motors in Aus, we run around 35mm roll out ,Fantom tune out a good one
SmokinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:58 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
how much better is it compared to the p2k and the p2k 2 pro????

is it like twice as fast?
Hi Calvin,
Unfortunately you will find that the Monster is no where near twice as fast as the P2K. The Monster is simply a higher reving motor than the P2k, but not to the extent that you are thinking. The P2k has more torque than the monster and is suited to tight tracks where there are a lot of tight corners. The extra torque of the P2k in theory means that your car will accelerate faster between the corners than what the Monster will with the same gearing.
However on a faster more flowing track with long straights and sweeping corners the Monster in theory should reach higher top speeds than the P2k and therefore be faster in that situation.

Also note that not all motors are created equal and it is usual for two Motors of the same type to perform differently. Sometimes you can get an absolute screamer and occasionally you could get a real slug. I have heard of some guys buying the Monster and being totally disappointed with the performance. Majority though seem to perform very well as is the case with mine which seems to be one of those screamers

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:38 PM   #54
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Quote:
Originally posted by Steevo
Also note that not all motors are created equal and it is usual for two Motors of the same type to perform differently. Sometimes you can get an absolute screamer and occasionally you could get a real slug. I have heard of some guys buying the Monster and being totally disappointed with the performance. Majority though seem to perform very well as is the case with mine which seems to be one of those screamers

Steevo
That is so true about any motor you buy. My first Monster was bought from a tuner and I was really disapointed. I went to a hobby shop that had a few dozen to choose from so I went through them until I found what I felt where good numbers on the label (for me atleast). What a difference. If I could only buy two motors I'd get a P2K and a monster and that would cover most if not all tracks both short and long.
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:39 PM   #55
Tech Regular

most of the time when people are dissapointed with the monster its because they arent gearing it right.
ausracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 12:18 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ausracer
most of the time when people are dissapointed with the monster its because they arent gearing it right.
I agree,
Most of the time the poor performance would be due to incorrect gearing but still occasionally you can get a lemon of a motor.

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 12:57 AM   #57
Super Moderator

Correct, it's in the nature of mass-produced machine-wound motors that some will naturally be better than others & some will be dogs no matter what you do to them. That being said, a good stock motor is a good stock motor, regardless of its design(though as I said before, some will be easier to set up for some situations than others). With the Monster, if you need lots of top end & the ability to carry speed through turns(& can gear it right & drive smoothly & precisely) then it'd be a good choice. But if your track is really small or tight, & you spend a lot of time getting on the brakes & accelerating out of corners, then something more like the original P2K might be better suited(due to its low-speed torque)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:05 AM   #58

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

is the monster pro better then the monster by alot???

i think their is another one called the Monster Stock JR 4 PRO 36 D

which one is the best in rpm and which one with torque???????
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:16 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Default Monster Problem

After reading all the rave reviews about the monster, I bought two of them with high expectations. I usually run tamiya 23t stock motors and expected the monster to be slightly faster. I ran one of my monsters and was sorely disappointed. This thing is sooooo slow. I am running an Evo3 with rubber tires in a concrete outdoor track with a 150 foot straight. The track is rather open and flowing. Tried to tune the Monster by aligning the brush hoods. Tried changing the springs to purple on both sides. Tried using Tribo. Tried all final drive ratios between 6.7:1 to 7.8:1. Nothing seems to work. Now I dont want to use my second still new in box monster for fear that it will be just as slow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:31 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Default Motor selection

Guys;

I believe that a truly FAST, above average Motor is 1 out of 100+. With the Majority being just average and maybe 10% being just Dogs. This is also taking into account having optimized tuning.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote