Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Does it seem to be touching down evenly along the sides of the chassis or just the back corners?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Finally got to run my BD12R today. Very pleased and the first time I have a 12th scale consistent enough to have some confidence in. Still have some testing to do before our season starts at the end of Sept. Can't wait to see what she'll do with a little further TLC.

I think I'll have to break down and order the lowered pods.....she's a keeper.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car. If you have any questions or need help with anything,please feel free to ask.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by protc3
Does it seem to be touching down evenly along the sides of the chassis or just the back corners?
Back corners...some of that is just suspension compression but I've noticed in the past with my other link cars if I see increased amount of wear there then the car is loose under cornering.

Have the car at 5mm now with the 10k damper oil...didn't touch the droop because after I measured it it was at 1mm. Car is working much much better today. I also figured out the odd handling issue for the first few minutes. The rags I'm using to wipe off the traction compound aren't doing a good enough job. I usually use a teri cloth but forgot to bring some last race so picked up those red shop rags...they really blow for taking off traction compound. Car is running pretty good now, the driver is another story Oh I broke the lower pod plate somehow...oddly enough traction got better after, might be something to look at as a tuning aid. Anyway I'm sure I'll be making another order soon.

The customer I built the other DB12R for is running his today and liking it a lot. It is hundreds of times better then the Cyclone 12 he was running.

Well I have to get back to the race. Hopefully I can pull my head together for the main Some fast guys out there though!
Old 07-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Lord

I found that with the .020 linear front springs that the front rolled more and took some of the load off of the rear. I also move the batteries forward and go to a softer center spring if the traction becomes an issue.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Cool I was just going to ask about that. For the main I moved the battery foward to get a bit more cornering speed and that helped. I really like the way the car pivoted through the corners in the S's. But the back did lose just a tad too much grip and would step out on certain corners. So I'll try going to the gold spring. I was definately right about the rags...after I started using a 2nd clean rag to wipe off the compound the car got much more consistant. Next race will be back to good ol teri cloth Now there is 1 more thing I want to work on. The car is really good through S's but comin off a straight into about a 100 degree bend the car would have a lot of initial push and sometimes a double steer. Maybe I'm just going into the corner too fast but it really doesn't feel like it, especially compared to the cars I'm trying to catch. Maybe I should try dialing in a little more drag brake to get a quicker transition to the front?

Even with the setup off this is still a lightning quick car. Had the driver been more on it today I could have easily placed higher then 4th or at least be battling closer to the fast guys. Top 3 guys ran a great race.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yah Gadgt your DB12R is still among the fastest 12th's out here!

Still can't believe the chunk you took out of that lower rear pod plate!!!!

I wish I knew all this fancy talk about setups? I am a really bad example of a 12th Scale racer I pretty much just charge the battery and put sun tan lotion on the tires!hehehe Yup I don't even use traction compound

My car still ran very well today although my finish does'nt show that.
My DB12R is close to the fast guys as far as fast laps go, and trying to get a little more use out of my tires may have cost me today? But my Spektrum Rx cutting in and out was my biggest issue in the main.

Bottom line though I always have a BIG Smile on my face whenever I am running this car!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

If your Spektrum is cutting out and it wasn't previously you probably have a battery pack that is going bad. The cheap fix is to use the Spektrum capacitor. I know Wayne was having an issue with his too and we tested with a capacitor and it fixed the problem. I had the same problem years ago with my F1 car and couldn't figure it out. The car seemed as fast as before but was cutting out. Tried everything I could think of to fix it and couldn't get it to work right until I replaced the battery packs...and that was with 6 cell even...4 cell is even more sensitive.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

I'm still trying to figure out how I broke half of the back of the lower rear pod plate off...I don't remember backing into anything again. Oh well...just gives me an excuse to order more stuff!!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

when will the DB12R kits be available through the BMI site again?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 AM
Tech Lord

I will have them on the site again this week. We ran low on pod plates and the last batch are out for anodize. They should be back by thursday or friday. Sorry for the delay.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

J hope your getting ready bro the next FCC race is at the end of August.! and did you ever put any thought to what i sent you before?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
when will the DB12R kits be available through the BMI site again?
I have one new in box for sale. check rc tech for sale.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Back corners...some of that is just suspension compression but I've noticed in the past with my other link cars if I see increased amount of wear there then the car is loose under cornering.

Have the car at 5mm now with the 10k damper oil...didn't touch the droop because after I measured it it was at 1mm. Car is working much much better today. I also figured out the odd handling issue for the first few minutes. The rags I'm using to wipe off the traction compound aren't doing a good enough job. I usually use a teri cloth but forgot to bring some last race so picked up those red shop rags...they really blow for taking off traction compound. Car is running pretty good now, the driver is another story Oh I broke the lower pod plate somehow...oddly enough traction got better after, might be something to look at as a tuning aid. Anyway I'm sure I'll be making another order soon.
I was just wondering what would the difference be in using 5k wt to 10k wt diff lube in the damper tubes. Right now I am using 5k wt. I was just thinking that 10k would be to stiff.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

10,000 is fine, at my local track, thats what a lot of people run, and it keeps it a little less sketchy they said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.