Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You have 3 settings for spring tension with the flex plates. No screw is the softest setting and least progressive. Installing the setscrew without touching the chassis increases spring tension a little and makes it a little more progressive. Touching it to the chassis will increase the spring tension a little more along with a slight bit more progressive feel.
The car seems to like similar tires that a T bar car does. I havent made many changes in tires as opposed to my T bar car. What seems to very is the traction at alot of the tracks. This is when you need to chose the right tire. Tires are a HUGE part of how well or bad a car handles. Finding the right ones is part of the trick. Then finding the little setup changes to accomodate them.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kail
I will reach that diameter next race

Maybe my problem with speed is due to the tire compound. Does softer compounds suit this car more?

Anyway by using the tweak screws, is the car supposed to get more reactive?
What compound & brand are you using?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kropy
What compound & brand are you using?
I was using Jaco prism purple fronts n grey rears.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Kail ~ What is the traction like at the track?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kropy
Kail ~ What is the traction like at the track?
I think traction was good. My rear was dialled, I had enough steering (but my dual rate was at 90) I never had fading throughout the 8 mins.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:23 PM
The Evicerator

Got a chance to run my car for the first time today and must say that I'm pretty impressed with how balanced and stable the car was through the changing track conditions and through the bumps that our carpet track has!

I want to get a little more steering/cornerspeed out of it but I'm sure that it'll just come with fine tuning of the car!

Has anyone else played with the side dampening or the spring rate much...?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Got a chance to run the car today and got some good runs on it. My track is fairly high bite with some bumps. I too was searching for steering after starting with the base setup. I changed my center spring from the gold to eventually a copper. I also raised the front of the shock to give it a flatter angle. I used an IRS tall ballstud and shimmed that 1.5mm higher. I am using 10K lube in the tubes and on the front springs. I moved all the caster shims to the back for max caster with the 10 deg blocks and set the pod droop to .5mm uptravel. All of this done over several runs of 19T. I'm also running a PF Speed 12. Lilac fronts and Yellow rears, very lightly glued...half compound on front. Tried Double Pink fronts for a last run but only compounded a quarter of the front. It pushed a bit I think I should have left half compound on and it would have given me the steering I was looking for. Car felt great and with continued testing it will get better and better.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:39 PM
The Evicerator

I went up to 10k in the side dampeners and to red spring and thought that was better...

I ran double pink fronts for most of the day with 1/2 sauce... they were much better than the lilacs with 1/2 but I think we can find more steering ...
Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

I went from gold to red to copper spring and it definitely gave more steering each change. Also changing to the tall ballstud and getting that shock flattened out helped with steering. How much pod droop were you running Steve?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:48 PM
The Evicerator

I had about 1 mm of droop in the front which might have been a tad too much... in the back... my shock was 67 mm ... which doesn't seem like a bunch of droop to me... I ran more with my L4... but I'm not exactly sure if that was the right way or not
Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

I took all the droop out of the front so there was none. I just measured my shock and it was just slightly over 65mm which resulted in almost no pod droop, there was still a slight bit...the car still handled the bumps well enough...but I could have probably found some steering with more rear pod droop. Will have to try that next time.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:05 PM
The Evicerator

Yeah, I'll have to experiment with pod droop more myself... I'm not so sure how sold I am on yellow rears though... I used to like running double pink wraps front and rear on my car here... I'd be interested in trying pinks or double pinks in the rear with the prisms...
Old 10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Craig how are you running your servo...flat or angled? A flat servo is more efficient on carpet from a tire scrub stand point if you are running stock but in 19T and mod somtimes an angled servo gives you that last bit of agressive turn in that you need.

We run double pink fronts all the time unless we are running stock and need less steering. We sauce 1/2 to 2/3 of the fronts.

What reactive caster block are you running? 10 is bast all the time unless you have insane traction and need to get rid of steering.

10K on the damper tubes is getting thick. At this poinmt your car will start to transition slower whick makes chicanes and such tougher to navigate. Try going lighter and look for steering somewhere else.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

I am running the servo flat and the 10 deg blocks. I will definitely need to do more runs with the double pink fronts and it sounds like with quite a bit more sauce. Which will give more steering for sure and possibly allow for thinner tube lube. thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 AM
Tech Champion

How about 7 or 8k? I think Ofna offers something around there.

Good read on all the setup tips you guys are posting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.