R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cpatel529 Send a message via Yahoo to cpatel529
Default Add Body Post Holes To Body...

I have a body that was already drilled for a car but the holes are kind of off and the body isnt centered properly. Is there a way that I could fill the holes and re-drill new ones? I was thinking that I could take lexan strips, glue them over the current holes, and then redrill new holes. Would this work?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
cpatel529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatel529 View Post
I have a body that was already drilled for a car but the holes are kind of off and the body isnt centered properly. Is there a way that I could fill the holes and re-drill new ones? I was thinking that I could take lexan strips, glue them over the current holes, and then redrill new holes. Would this work?

some shoo goo would work... IDK for how long tho

all i know is, i have the same prob.. i cant EVER get the wells and all rite, so i just cut them to accommodate lol just DONT use ca glue, that will just make the body crack/shatter
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

First, line the body up on the chassis so it's properly centered both ways. If the body aint black, stick a light of some kind under the body while it's mounted on the chassis. When using the light under the body, you can see the mounts. Add a dot with a marker where the mounts are and break out the reamer
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen View Post
First, line the body up on the chassis so it's properly centered both ways. If the body aint black, stick a light of some kind under the body while it's mounted on the chassis. When using the light under the body, you can see the mounts. Add a dot with a marker where the mounts are and break out the reamer
i kow

but it can look sqaured when its sitting aobove the wheels, and then cut the holes, and then there 2 miles off, is there something worng with my posts? or what, because i have done this to 3 bodys so far
Old 07-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
Tech Master

My question lies in is it possible to "fill" the previous holes that were created? If so, how do you do it? I was thinking to use lexan and glue it to the inside of hte body.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Well you could glue a piece of lexan under the body and ream out new holes...but you'll still see the old holes there so it won't "fill" the hole to make it look like it never existed. But at least you'd have a useable body then.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatel529 View Post

Here's a cool tip I saw Crashby do.

-Ream out the existing holes as much as needed to get the body to line up properly.
-Get some plastic body washers like these: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2932&P=7 .
-Put some shoe goo on the body washers and place them on the body post, shoe goo side up.
-Place the body on the posts and get it lined up as good as possible. The shoe goo will be wet and it can move and slide until the body is centered.
-Gently lift the body up off the posts, the washers should come with it and be stuck to the inside of the body.
-Add some more shoe goo to secure the washers, being careful not to move the washers.

When the shoe goo dries the body should be perfectly aligned.

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesArluck View Post
Here's a cool tip I saw Crashby do.

-Ream out the existing holes as much as needed to get the body to line up properly.
-Get some plastic body washers like these: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2932&P=7 .
-Put some shoe goo on the body washers and place them on the body post, shoe goo side up.
-Place the body on the posts and get it lined up as good as possible. The shoe goo will be wet and it can move and slide until the body is centered.
-Gently lift the body up off the posts, the washers should come with it and be stuck to the inside of the body.
-Add some more shoe goo to secure the washers, being careful not to move the washers.

When the shoe goo dries the body should be perfectly aligned.

-James

thats a awsome idea!

i will have to try that! i like that idea
Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Steve Bahnatka

Parma/PSE sells body repair kits found here....
You can use the long rectangular piece to make a new hole, if its close to the existing hole.
http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=8042/137.0
Old 07-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
Tech Master

What kind of glue is recommend for the lexan approach? I read earlier in this thread that CA glue will cause the body to crack when drilled into. Is this true? Is ShoeGoo strong enough or will it break apart from the body when a reamer is used?

Chirag
Old 07-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I missed by just a little bit, took a lighter to the body posts, heated them up and bent them towards the holes and lined up the body perfectly. Body stays perfect, no patching, stickers over holes or any of that.
You can do this over and over til you nail it AND you can do it again with the same body posts on a new body if you miss again
That's about 4 cents from me
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Actually I'm such a retard, all my cars have a couple tweeked posts but with the body on, you can't tell cuz the bodys aren't hacked up.
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

If you have some old body posts. First count the holes up from the bottom of the post to where you sit the body on the car. Cut them down just above the ride you wish to acheive. Put the cut posts on your car. Now you can set the body over the car and mark your holes. Now you can ream/drill your holes. Once done put your first body posts back on.

The main reason for offline holes is that when you try to put the body on and mark holes. Your body posts are either too long or bent. By the time the body is on the car, it is way off line. When body posts are too long that throws the markings way off. Nothing worse than taking your time painting a body only to screw it up by reaming out holes everywhere except where needed.

I've seen cars on the track with uncut body posts. When you ask the driver of that car "why don't they cut'em?" They respond saying that it help keep the car from getting scratched. Little do they know it also helps keep the scar from rolling over again back on all fours when they crash and roll.

All bodies make the car handle different. If you race try to stick to one body style only. Then use the old body as a template to mark holes and boby lines on the newe body.

Hope this helped.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote