Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which is Quicker 5 or 6 cell? >

Which is Quicker 5 or 6 cell?

Which is Quicker 5 or 6 cell?

Old 07-19-2007, 06:55 PM
  #31  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (67)
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
have you run 5 cells?? I run 5 cells and you dont have to gear really crazy, only 2 or 3 teeth more on the pinion, i also ran 5 cells with the 10.5 at our last carpet race and it was pretty fast and my gearing wast too far off the 6 cell guys with the 10.5
i want to try this with my brushed stock


could be my experement

a 5cell pack, and a 6 cell pack, and comapare lap times

how much more gearing should i put on to my CO 27? i have 3 more gearing options, so i gan gear up 3 more teeth on what pinions i have
BlackedOutREVO is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
  #32  
Tech Elite
 
PitCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle Indoor Raceway
Posts: 2,129
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
have you run 5 cells?? I run 5 cells and you dont have to gear really crazy, only 2 or 3 teeth more on the pinion, i also ran 5 cells with the 10.5 at our last carpet race and it was pretty fast and my gearing wast too far off the 6 cell guys with the 10.5
No, I have not run 5 cells yet. I plan to run 5 cell mod very soon.

Nice to hear your results. Did you add weight so your car weighed the same as the 6cell cars?

I wonder why everyone keeps asking "HAVE YOU RUN 5 CELLS?" like it changes the laws of physics or something....

Funny thing is the guys jumping on my case are the 5 cell supporters.....with whom I am basically agreeing with.

I think its a cool idea, as long as its legal to have the car weigh less. Otherwise the power to weight ratio isn't there. Oh I better not get started again.

Just one question. How does a 12th scale mod make 8 mins if 6cell mod touring cars only make 6mins at best?
PitCrew is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 07:27 PM
  #33  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,147
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

smaller minute of inertia and less drag.
Sean R is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 07:44 PM
  #34  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (217)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 31,203
Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PitCrew View Post
No, I have not run 5 cells yet. I plan to run 5 cell mod very soon.

Nice to hear your results. Did you add weight so your car weighed the same as the 6cell cars?

I wonder why everyone keeps asking "HAVE YOU RUN 5 CELLS?" like it changes the laws of physics or something....

Funny thing is the guys jumping on my case are the 5 cell supporters.....with whom I am basically agreeing with.

I think its a cool idea, as long as its legal to have the car weigh less. Otherwise the power to weight ratio isn't there. Oh I better not get started again.

Just one question. How does a 12th scale mod make 8 mins if 6cell mod touring cars only make 6mins at best?
i didnt add any weight to the car if you run 5 cells your allowed to run a minimum weight of 1450, im at 1463 with the body (51.6 ounces)
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
  #35  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (217)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 31,203
Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post



a 5cell pack, and a 6 cell pack, and comapare lap times
thats what i did , ran 3 heats on a saturday with 5 cells went home changed the car to the 6 cell chassis then sunday i ran 3 more heats with 6 cells, and i was faster on saturday
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
  #36  
Tech Elite
 
PitCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle Indoor Raceway
Posts: 2,129
Default

sweet.
I don't doubt you can get around the track faster with 5 cells vs 6. The car should work better. As long as its balanced.

Maybe I should have run 5 cell at paved nats in stock. Maybe I would have won.
PitCrew is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 PM
  #37  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (217)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 31,203
Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PitCrew View Post
sweet.
I don't doubt you can get around the track faster with 5 cells vs 6. The car should work better. As long as its balanced.

Maybe I should have run 5 cell at paved nats in stock. Maybe I would have won.
maybe who knows!!
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 08:02 PM
  #38  
Tech Elite
 
PitCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle Indoor Raceway
Posts: 2,129
Default

probably not.
My car was on rails anyway.
2nd is ok with me.
PitCrew is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 PM
  #39  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (67)
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

i ran out front, motors stays really cool! runs nice!

but the batt is brand spanking new, so idk, but i THINK that im still udergeared with 3 extra teeth... because *about* 90- 100% throttle is the same speed.. no incrase at all, even off the ground, so im going to try and get these batts run a few times before tomarow, im going to charge, dis charge to 1.2 volts per cell (like my normal runs) and then charge, then repeat a few times

then run it another once or twice, and then race it

but so far, i like it, i might have to gear up more, so idk yet, i need practice time, but if i get killed, then thats what happens....

marcos, how much did u gaer up ur stock motor? i think a few more teeh for me mite be in need, BUT i have to wait and see what cycling the batt does first
BlackedOutREVO is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 PM
  #40  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,147
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
thats what i did , ran 3 heats on a saturday with 5 cells went home changed the car to the 6 cell chassis then sunday i ran 3 more heats with 6 cells, and i was faster on saturday
This isn't a fair test because you are running the same setup for both.
Example: a dialed 6 cell setup could be garbage with 5 cell.
You would need to find an optimal setup for 5 cell and 6 cell and then you could compare them.
Sean R is offline  
Old 07-19-2007, 11:28 PM
  #41  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (87)
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,950
Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)
Default

Have any of you tried 5 cell modified on carpet w/foams? I wonder if the same weight rules will carry over?

Thanks in advance.
RBLove is offline  
Old 07-20-2007, 01:18 AM
  #42  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (67)
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr View Post
This isn't a fair test because you are running the same setup for both.
Example: a dialed 6 cell setup could be garbage with 5 cell.
You would need to find an optimal setup for 5 cell and 6 cell and then you could compare them.
true

very true


i will find out tomarow, i will see what needs changing to be fast on 5cell
BlackedOutREVO is offline  
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 AM
  #43  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (217)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 31,203
Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr View Post
This isn't a fair test because you are running the same setup for both.
Example: a dialed 6 cell setup could be garbage with 5 cell.
You would need to find an optimal setup for 5 cell and 6 cell and then you could compare them.
same set up all i did was the chassis change
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 07-20-2007, 12:35 PM
  #44  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NorCal. Napa area
Posts: 7,222
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
true

very true


i will find out tomarow, i will see what needs changing to be fast on 5cell
5 cell chassis... mine is coming a week or so..
rc-zombies is offline  
Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
  #45  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (67)
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
5 cell chassis... mine is coming a week or so..
haha thats what u ordered over seas?


im going at 4:30 to see what i can pull outs this brushed motor lol...... so we will see if i can drive it somewhat fast, if i can keep up with the experts assuming im racing with them) then i will stay 5 cell till im bl and all that

because i know for shure that i could use less power through turns and all so i dont need brakes


how much was it? i just dont know how well batt soldering will be, i have to run mine in the back because i use deans

lmk when u are racing again zombies, i want to see all this new stuff u have
BlackedOutREVO is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.