R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-31-2007, 04:19 AM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs View Post
antiquated sub c's trinitys track record for there batteriers isnt to bad. i can only speak for my self but 2005 snowbirds winner stock and sport 19t, 2005 iic stock win, 2006 iic 12th win, and 2006 us indoor champs win. Not too bad
Jilles Grosscamp 2007 Snowbird Modified touring champ.........
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 AM   #77
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill941 View Post
trust me there will always be team packs or cherry picked packs period!!!
There are soo many great IBs in current batches. Cherrypicking is a thing of the past. Trust me 98% of the racers could not tell a diffrence from a 1.235 to a 1.245 if they didnt know what was in there car. Also for "Cherrypicking" cells. I and others sell what we have no holding. I had a young racer from Maryland call me last month looking for cells, What did he get... 1.252s.. He was more than happy to say the least. Batches DO vary from time to time so #s will vary slightly, This past batch was real high #s for example. So much for holding out..

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #78
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs View Post
antiquated sub c's trinitys track record for there batteriers isnt to bad. i can only speak for my self but 2005 snowbirds winner stock and sport 19t, 2005 iic stock win, 2006 iic 12th win, and 2006 us indoor champs win. Not too bad

Jeff, I am sure I saw AAA pack in your ride when you won those races

Last edited by Elijah; 07-31-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
There are soo many great IBs in current batches. Cherrypicking is a thing of the past. Trust me 98% of the racers could not tell a diffrence from a 1.235 to a 1.245 if they didnt know what was in there car. Also for "Cherrypicking" cells. I and others sell what we have no holding. I had a young racer from Maryland call me last month looking for cells, What did he get... 1.252s.. He was more than happy to say the least. Batches DO vary from time to time so #s will vary slightly, This past batch was real high #s for example. So much for holding out..

hey, I've never got 1.252's!!!! I will agree with Tag on this one. I was rooming with EA at REEDY and he had a monster box of batteries he was deliverying for his team (probably 30-40 6 cell packs) - and most of the numbers were just as good as the next guy. Yes there were some higher #'s than others, but nothing drastic.

We as consumer's can get just as good of packs that alot of these guys can. I have seen some of the packs my LHS gets in from SMC - and they are really strong packs.

All that to say - the playing field is probably more leveled than ever before. Yes the top guys probably are racing the best equipment - but regardless - the fast guys will always be fast.....

I am excited to see how the EP cell vs IB battle plays out. Competition helps out the consumer, and for the longest time, due to lack of other choices, IB almost had a monopoly. Now that EP's are getting great reviews, I think that this will only spur on each company to make a better, stronger, and more reliable cell.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #80
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ever since I got this box of free tires, I LOVE the IB cells.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 AM   #81
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Marc.. belive it or not.. NO team guys did. Just was a great batch last batch that filled orders. I did take 1 pack but was only 1.247. Yea only..LOL

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:35 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Only hassle with the EP/Ib debate has been that the EP cells were supposed to be cheaper but with them getting a better rep and good results from matchers the price has increased to equal the IB.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:27 AM   #83
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
Marc.. belive it or not.. NO team guys did. Just was a great batch last batch that filled orders. I did take 1 pack but was only 1.247. Yea only..LOL
Got 2 IB packs from Tag a couple months ago, they were even better numbers than packs some of his drivers were using, 1.24+, just because they were newer. That and a Tag-tuned CO27 and the car seems just about as fast as anyone on the track. Sure, I need more driving and setup skills. But HP is not a limiter.

I've also used the ProMatch EP, 1.23+ packs, I was very happy with them and these seemed fine when new, now after being run hard they're falling off a bit, just like any other battery. They did seem more stable than the earlier IB's.

Both brands take TLC, time and money part of the price of admission unfortunately. I'll get new packs periodically and sell the old ones cheap to a needy local racer to help get and keep people racing.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 AM   #84
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Ever since I got this box of free tires, I LOVE the IB cells.
We interrupt this potentially productive thread to retaliate at another ridiculous statement meant to discredit those who already understand the point of this thread is EP vs. IB and has absolutely NOTHING to do with Lipos.

Bring on the LIPO REVOLUTION. That way Danny and everybody else can start zapping, and matching them. When we start RACING a Lipo pack should last around 4000 cycles or so right? And they're never defective from the factory, and they're so cheap too.

Lipos will not be the 2nd coming for electric racing. Neither will brushless. A year past the legalization of these items, you'll all be bitching about the battery and motor of the week. That is the very nature of ANY motorsport.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 AM   #85
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Only hassle with the EP/Ib debate has been that the EP cells were supposed to be cheaper but with them getting a better rep and good results from matchers the price has increased to equal the IB.

Actually EP packs should be sold cheaper than IB packs because they cost less to buy for the matcher. Also if you believe all the hype that the cells don't seldischarge and have no issues this means the matcher should have more cells at the end of the batch to match up as a certain percentage of the IB cells will selfshort in the matching process which costs the matcher some money as the cells can't be sold at the regular price.

That being said you can buy one of our Economy matched packs that sells in the 50-60 dollar range and has higher average voltage than the top of the line EP packs.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 AM   #86
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
We interrupt this potentially productive thread to retaliate at another ridiculous statement meant to discredit those who already understand the point of this thread is EP vs. IB and has absolutely NOTHING to do with Lipos.

Bring on the LIPO REVOLUTION. That way Danny and everybody else can start zapping, and matching them. When we start RACING a Lipo pack should last around 4000 cycles or so right? And they're never defective from the factory, and they're so cheap too.

Lipos will not be the 2nd coming for electric racing. Neither will brushless. A year past the legalization of these items, you'll all be bitching about the battery and motor of the week. That is the very nature of ANY motorsport.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion
Whoa whoa whoa! I didn't say any of that, I was just poking a little fun. Stop dragging LiPo into this, you're gonna get everybody all riled up again and start a riot.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:45 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Whoa whoa whoa! I didn't say any of that, I was just poking a little fun. Stop dragging LiPo into this, you're gonna get everybody all riled up again and start a riot.
Also just poking fun, hence the "We interrupt... blah blah blah" this thread got way too serious way too quick.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #88
Tech Addict

Flame war flame waar yeah yeah yeah ehehe ehehe ehehe

Seriously people... I have been reading this thread from the beginning... but I have yet to figure out which batery to use...
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #89
Company Representative

When it comes to batteries everyone has there own opinions. If you have a deal or have been happy with a certain matcher then you will say the cell they use is the best.

I reccomend that you buy 1 EP and 1 IB pack and see which one gives you the performance your looking for. In the end the best car setup and driver will win the race not a cell with .2 less IR and .01 more voltage.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM   #90
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
In the end the best car setup and driver will win the race not a cell with .2 less IR and .01 more voltage.
i agree - we just want a more reliable cell!!! i personally have made it to Vegas, Halloween Classic, Novak, Snowbirds, and Reedy all this past year - all on my own dime - and I do get new cells for each race - just ask Tag -

the problem is that these cells I have had don't last very long at all. I believe that the EP's are great cells, just a hair short on power compared to the IB's........but on the flipside - i would sacrifice initial power for longevity of cells. This way my cells I buy for Vegas can last me through the winter for club racing.

I just did some testing with LIPO this past week, and I do like the convenience factor of the LIPO, but I was faster with the NIMH.....

Long live RELIABLE NIMH!!!!