R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #62
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here is a test I just finished on the improved cells versus the previous lots.

I put 1900mAh of charge back in the cells last Monday and today I discharged them to see how much runtime was left in the cells.

Older style: 94 , 104 , 113 , 113 , 121 , 127 , 128 , 131

New cells: 116 , 141 , 149 , 149 , 151 , 157 , 157 , 161

This shows that Intellect has been able to slowdown the selfdischarge and best of all the voltage is as high as previous lots and the IR is as low if not lower. One thing to note to help slowdown the selfdischarge is to store the cells in a cool place.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #63
Tech Master

How can I find out if the batteries I buy will be the new batch vs old ones?

I too, had a pack vent on me during the middle of the charge.

Last edited by redbones; 07-30-2007 at 06:56 PM.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AxiomJacob

Danny, what cell codes should we look for to make sure we are getting the newer cells? I've had a couple packs vent just recently.

Thanks.

Proline Racing
AxiomJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Intellect has improved the World Cell by making it selfdischarge slower while being able to maintain the high average voltage and low IR of the cell. If your a serious racer looking for the highest average voltage and lowest IR then the IB4200WC is the cell you will want to use.

As far as cells selfshorting this has been minimized but can still happen.

Out of a case of 200 EP M3 cells that someone I know matched he had 4 dead cells in the case and 11 that vented badly so this means there is no perfect cell out on the market. GP has also delayed the launch of there high voltage 4300 and there 4600 because they have the same issues.

Intellect was the first company to come out with the new higher voltage cells and we expect them to stay in the lead. The latest improvements proves that they are committed to our market.

Danny i am in no way starting an argument with you, but did the someone you know get the EP cells zapped from trinity? As far as i know trinitys zapper is fairly old. Someone i know has gone through around 20 cases and has never had any of the problems your friend had with the ep cells.

But i like jacks view on lipo batteries... the lipo faithful are foolish to believe that the pro drivers are just going to use 1 pack for a whole national event and that the lipo packs are batteries and they do decrese in performance with time.
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #66
Company Representative

The improvement is a running change and everything we have matched from last week moving on will be the improved cells.

As far as the EP cells go these were the brand new M3 version I really don't know what caused the issues but my point is to show that there is no perfect cell as all the newer cells have real high performance which makes them on the edge.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #67
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
This post sums up the argument for brushless and LiPo. Trust me, it won't equalize the playing field. The best guys will still win, and the people who enjoy tinkering- with motors, etc. will leave the sport. It is already happening. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR- I'm telling you!
What happens when you show up at a race and the factory guys have a new speed control that is a tenth faster than your box stock one you just bought? Won't happen? It already has. And since you cannot tweak the motor with different brushes, springs, etc. you are screwed. The thing that makes this sport exciting is the ability to make changes and see the results. Whether it is chassis, motor, tire, body, etc, changes- that is the fun of it. If you start "dumbing down" our choices as racers, the sport will suffer. I think BL and LiPo are a FANTASTIC idea for entry level...but not the existing competitve racing environment.
couldnt agree more
Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #68
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS STORTI View Post
well Jack
i am using my info from airplane guys quite a few etoc champions an they are getting 200 cycles out of a lipo not like im trying to argue but i been in the industry pretty long an have some good friends that are members of team JR an i will have to use that as my reason to disagree i know u are in the matching buisness so u got to promote your product but a lipo will make the rc racing better since there will be no more team packs
trust me there will always be team packs or cherry picked packs period!!!
bill941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #69
Tech Addict

Danny,

Interesting self dischage figures you have there on the latest IB's. Going by that I would say there is some difference but is it enough? I would really appreciate yourself or someone else to try some EP's and see the results of self discharge.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 AM   #70
Company Representative

Actually it may not look like a big difference but it's significant as it averages out about 35% less discharge with the newer cells.

The EP cells have a faster selfdischarge than the IB cells even the previous IB lots. One thing that is different with the EP cell is that if a cell selfdischarges under 1 volt it will most likely not lose as much runtime as an IB cell that goes under 1 volt.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 AM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Danny,

What is your thought on dead-shorting IB's and EP's? We all know run time is lost, but are there advantages for voltage and ir without losing cells?

Thanks!
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #72
Company Representative

As far as deadshorting goes I can only talk about what it does on the IB cells as I have not tried it on the EP cells.

With a decent amount of IB cells selfshorting after a few cycles that pack will only be as good as the shorted cell. By deadshorting the pack it will balance out the cells and will keep the IR low. I had a few packs built with cells that were down in runtime and when I deadshorted those packs the runtime went from 355 up to 376. At 376 seconds a pack should still be fine in stock racing at the club level.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

All of Trinity's disinformation, half-truths, and downright lies did nothing to hold back BL from taking over and the same thing will probably be said of lipo in a year or two. Trinity's BL motors went over like a lead balloon and their lipo offerings will be just as popular. I wonder why. Trinity should take comfort in the fact that they can still sell their antiquated sub c's and brushed motors to an ever shrinking minority of racers who fear change as much as Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.

Now back on topic: I'm glad to hear IB is getting its act together. For me personally, it's literally a month late and four cells short. I'm done with them.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:26 AM   #74
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm sticking with IB's... .because thats all EA matches LMAO. But seriously, I've always been impressed with the performance of the IB cells, you jusy have to be a little more atentive with them. Overall, I feel they are faster, and thats what matters most to me.

-Korey
Old 07-31-2007, 04:07 AM   #75
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
All of Trinity's disinformation, half-truths, and downright lies did nothing to hold back BL from taking over and the same thing will probably be said of lipo in a year or two. Trinity's BL motors went over like a lead balloon and their lipo offerings will be just as popular. I wonder why. Trinity should take comfort in the fact that they can still sell their antiquated sub c's and brushed motors to an ever shrinking minority of racers who fear change as much as Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.

Now back on topic: I'm glad to hear IB is getting its act together. For me personally, it's literally a month late and four cells short. I'm done with them.
antiquated sub c's trinitys track record for there batteriers isnt to bad. i can only speak for my self but 2005 snowbirds winner stock and sport 19t, 2005 iic stock win, 2006 iic 12th win, and 2006 us indoor champs win. Not too bad