R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default velocity black brushless heatsink* hard to put on"

hey guys, i have a 4.5 brushless motor and im puttin a black race tuned heatsink on it, nd its proving a challange fir me as the heatsink wont sink onto the motor

can anyone help?
xxblackheartxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've read that some of the black sinks are machined really tight on the tolerences...

I've heard guys say if you get your motor ready for it - then use a hair dryer or heat gun to get the heat sink hot so it expands a little they will drop right on. Then when they cool they get a really good heat transfer by being extra tight...
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Indeed, you just have to be very careful with it, I have a blue one that was also VERY hard to slide into place(got Charlie to help me with it at the Novak Race & it took both of us to get it into place without damaging anything). One thing we did was use the purple ring(that the heat sink replaces) as a guide, placed over the heat sink & then apply the pressure to the ring. Seemed to do the trick for me(& the heat sink is DEFINITELY worth the effort, I see mine get as much as 20-25 degrees hotter than the rest of the motor, so it's definitely pulling heat out).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Hold both the heatsink and can with pliers... get the heatsink really hot (melt the sticker off) and also warm up the can itself pretty good... then slide the heatsink on really fast... if you can get it on far enough then you can put the endbell back on and crank it down with the 3 long screws
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just sanded the inside of my heatsink with a flapper wheel in a Dremel until it would just barely slide on. Didn't take much sanding.

Make sure you have the orientation right before you put it on, it will be really difficult to move once it's on.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

a heat gun is your friend.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I just sanded the inside of my heatsink with a flapper wheel in a Dremel until it would just barely slide on. Didn't take much sanding.

i heated mine up for a few minutes and it slid on with ease
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rigg View Post
Hold both the heatsink and can with pliers... get the heatsink really hot (melt the sticker off) and also warm up the can itself pretty good... then slide the heatsink on really fast... if you can get it on far enough then you can put the endbell back on and crank it down with the 3 long screws
+1 for the heat gun. Thst the best way by far.

I would be careful using the endcap and screws to get the heatsink in place. I snapped of screws into the body of two motors trying it this way. I now have two novak paper weights If you get it all hot enough you shouldn't need that kind of force.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

thanks guys, the heat trick worked really well! thanks again.
xxblackheartxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote