NiMH size?

Old 12-03-2001, 12:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

NiMH size?

I heard somewhere that NiMH cells are larger than NiCd cells. Is this true? If so how are the bigger.
The reason I ask is because I just bought the Schumacher battery holddowns for my 414M, and I'm already having trouble fitting the NiCd pack in the holddowns.
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:53 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Larger? I don't know about that. My Panasonic 3000SMH cells are noticably smaller than my 2400s. They even slide around a bit in the battery holders in my Yokomos and XXX-S.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sanyo 3000 cells (the old one, not the HV type) is a little bit longer than those old 2000/2400 cells. however, those parasonics blue cell and black cell (smh) is noticable shorter than those sanyo cells, the GT3000 (blue) cell is also shorter.
I havent tried any HV cells yet but i guess it is the same size as the old Sanyo 3000 cells.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok , I'm getting some Sanyo HV's, some hopefully there no larger so I don't have to do any mods. Does anyone know if the diameter of the 3000's are larger than 2400's? Thats the most important thing.
And has anyone had trouble to use the Schumacher holddowns with 3000 cells that have been individually shrink wrapped?
Old 12-03-2001, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rccarracer
Ok , I'm getting some Sanyo HV's, some hopefully there no larger so I don't have to do any mods. Does anyone know if the diameter of the 3000's are larger than 2400's? Thats the most important thing.
And has anyone had trouble to use the Schumacher holddowns with 3000 cells that have been individually shrink wrapped?
The only troubles you'll see is when you use the schumacher holddowns with Sanyo RC3000 cells, are a little larger in diameter and if you individually shrink wrap, you have to make very high force to lock the battery.

This can ve solved installing a small washer under the holddown to make a little supplement.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've now got no problem with the cells in terms of the height, but the problem is the the width of the three cells together. There so tight that the wont even fit between the posts. What should I do, gring away some of the posts? This is really annoying as this solution is supposed to be easier than taping and at the moment there not!!
Old 12-03-2001, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rccarracer
I've now got no problem with the cells in terms of the height, but the problem is the the width of the three cells together. There so tight that the wont even fit between the posts. What should I do, gring away some of the posts? This is really annoying as this solution is supposed to be easier than taping and at the moment there not!!
Yep! Sanyo RC3000 is almost 1mm larger than the previous cells, the only solution to this is file carefully your chassis or battery braces. Or, use Powers or Panasonic cells that are sligtly smaller.