R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #31
Tech Rookie

Something like that around here would be nice. Using a standard 6 stick might make things easier because most TC have the ability to run both styles, doesn't realy matter tho.

I have a RS4 original wide touring car 4WD with gearbox trans single belt. I didn't like this class of vehicle at first when I purchased it, it took some time before I got proficient at dialing it in as I switch from off-road to on-road back in the day. Once I pushed it to the limit and dial it I loved racing it.

The introduction Rs4 to me seemed like it had slightly more tuning, I was able to sling it into the pocket when ever I wanted.

I usually use stock rims and tires on mild setups, I use rolly tires (larger profile) in the rear and tight up front on hot setups.
Juglenaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarmchl View Post
Can you guys give any more suggestions on whee to find the "vintage" bodies. So far I have...

HPI
Bolink
r-design (ebay)
Parma...

i know there are others...please help if you can.
Right now we're specifying bodies by part number, and the only bodies are the HPI and Parma Mustangs, Camaros and 'Cudas. If any of the others become commonly available AND are '60's or '70's PONY cars (not chargers, etc) we would add them on a case-by-case basis. The HPI and Parma bodies are readily available via Great Planes so they're available to any LHS, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
Something like that around here would be nice. Using a standard 6 stick might make things easier because most TC have the ability to run both styles, doesn't realy matter tho.
The idea for going to the 4-cell was two-fold. First, we wanted the Vintage TA to offer a completely different driving experience from the normal TCs. Second, we wanted to create a class that new drivers can REALLY learn to drive in. 6-cell Stock is WAY to fast for new drivers, all they do is pound the car apart heat after heat until they get better. Unfortunately, most get frustrated and quit before they get good. 4-cell Stock motor in the sedans makes a VERY good driveable package where they can have a prayer of keeping it between the pipes AND finishing heats because the impacts are MUCH less severe. 4-cell 19T really have to be driven--they're by no means easy on these tires and without wings. Right off the bat this is our most popular class...EVERYBODY is jumping on it.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #33
Tech Adept

we are working on the concept in memphis as well. our solution so far is tt01 with black can motors, any treaded tire and any 70s or older body (most as of now have opted for the usual mustang, camaro and cuda). we had seven enter after two races and it looks like a lot of interest. we wanted a class like the mini class and a stepping stone from novice to the stock sedan. i've been trying to get a friend to start racing with us and he just couldn't get jazzed about racing a mini but once he saw that he could "race a cuda" he was in and he bought a car and ran his first ever rc car race. its all about the cool factor.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrehnelt View Post
its all about the cool factor.
DING DING DING DING DING!!!

Exactly. I LOVE the Minis, etc, but nothing appeals to folks like gettin' to race a muscle car/pony car! This has gained more interest for our club than anything in recent memory...our hope is it builds membership.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Scottrik,

We have been running a similar "old school spec class" at my local club (in Australia) now for the last 12 months, and I must say, its been fun to say the least. I will list our spec, just to give you an idea of we have done.

SPEC for 2007
Any 1/10th scale Electric Touring car is allowed.

Motor - HPI X30 Rebuildable (Part No. 31143).

There is a choice of 4 shells for this class. You can have a HPI 200mm 1968 Chevrolet Camaro Part No. 7494, a HPI 200mm Ford Shelby GT350 Part No. 17508, HPI 200mm Ford Mustang GT part No. 17504, or HPI 200mm 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Part #17510.

There is a battery limit of 3300mAhr NiMh.

Gearing is limited of 4.8:1. Driver will be responsible to prove this ratio by either calculation or manufacturers gear chart.

Tyres can only be HPI ADVAN A038 belted 24mm (27R) Part No. 4762 on suitable rims.

The HPI X30 motor is a great choice as it is rebuildable, as it has similar (if not greater) torque than a 27 turn rebuildable stock, but it is not quite as fast (top speed). In 2006, we ran a similar class, but used the Tamiya Black Sprots tuned motor, but we found these to be unreliable, and most drivers had to replace them every 3 to 4 race meetings. Most of the drivers in this class have not trued the comm on their X30's, and have had very little drop in performance.

Cheers.
StumpyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:46 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We recently did a race at a carshow that was a benefit for Cancer Victims. We put together some old Touring Cars with the McAllister Mustangs to kind of fit with the Car Show theme...

They were very popular...even though these bodies are just a bit too wide for a Touring Car chassis.

SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Any intersted in running Vintage American car bodies in SoCal?? I have an old TL01 & a HPI Shelby just screaming for a race!! Anyone?!?!
fordmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmike65 View Post
Any intersted in running Vintage American car bodies in SoCal?? I have an old TL01 & a HPI Shelby just screaming for a race!! Anyone?!?!
Wow...old thread resurrected.

We race the vintage cars here in Camarillo. The class is struggling, probably due to the huge popularity of RCGT, but we soldier on.

www.roadrunnersrc.com

www.roadrunnersrc.com/forums
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Right now we're specifying bodies by part number, and the only bodies are the HPI and Parma Mustangs, Camaros and 'Cudas. If any of the others become commonly available AND are '60's or '70's PONY cars (not chargers, etc) we would add them on a case-by-case basis. The HPI and Parma bodies are readily available via Great Planes so they're available to any LHS, etc.
I was sure that Doug had also added the four Pegasus options (If you can find one.) And the Mustang and Camaro from the old Bolink collection. Dumpy as they are. Wasnt there a Parma Mustang as well?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post

We race the vintage cars here in Camarillo. The class is struggling, probably due to the huge popularity of RCGT, but we soldier on.

www.roadrunnersrc.com

Awesome!! Gonna have to trek out there & check out the track. Very nice!
fordmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I was sure that Doug had also added the four Pegasus options (If you can find one.) And the Mustang and Camaro from the old Bolink collection. Dumpy as they are. Wasnt there a Parma Mustang as well?
Hey Snoop,

Yes, the Parma Mustang is listed in the paragraph you quoted

And Doug did indeed add the Pegasus bodies AFTER USVTA was created. Check the dates on this thread--it's been pulled out of the cellar. This thread is from the DAWN of Vintage TA...USVTA didn't happen until the following year.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post

www.roadrunnersrc.com

good read
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Thumbs up

There is definitely a TON of interest in VTA racing at Mike's Hobby Shop in Carrollton, TX. I started a thread back in February 2011 and today it has over 2400 views and over 320 posts.

Check out the thread for yourself... http://mikeshobbyshop.com/phpBB3/vie...php?f=3&t=7588
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Thumbs up

Roll Call for Thursday, May 12, 2011. Who is in for VTA Racing at Mike's?
Hey all you VTA racers, even if you don't have your VTA all put together just bring it to Mike's on Thursday so that I can take a picture for the web page :thumbup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Handler
I have my ASE tests Thursday evening, but I can hang for a few before. What time?
I will be there from 5:00 pm to midnight. Bring what you've got for VTA so I can take some pics.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #45
Tech Champion

Doh! why did you drag this one back up?