R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Justin, if you are really interested in racing again, definitely pick up a Rev 4.5 and head to Excitement on a Tuesday night. You will not be disappointed. Bruce, the owner of Speed Merchant races here, and will help you build, set-up and tune your chassis. And if he is not there, there is plenty of talent to get/keep you going. Plus it's BBQ season all summer. With Shawn at the grill and running hot laps, nothing could be better!
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to kúv!n

At the moment 1.10th touring car is huge, it changes from time to time, eventually we will all be racing 1.12th

The main reason why I don't race 1.12 is because my local track is an off road track, that only races on road during the winter series. If more people were to start racing 1.12th at my club im sure I would too!
kúv!n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think the biggest problem is that 1/12 cars are not for your average driver and definately not for beginners. Its a class that requires near perfection in driving and setup before you can start enjoying yourself, let alone, start enjoying any possibillity for success.

At our club, the guys who were a lap up in touring car ended 3-4 laps up in 1/12 scale. It magnfied the performance disparity and predictably, once guys got the feeling they were not going to be able to compete, they stopped showing up.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #19
Tech Elite

i would think the same guys will have the same attitude toward tc. if they can't compete, the tend not to show for tc as well.

One of the biggest down side to 1/12 is that they can not be run on parking lot concrete tracks. not sure about elsewhere, but here in texas, most are concrete.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #20
Tech Addict

12th scale is huge sadly some of the larger events limit the class because it takes too long to run alot of 12's it's alot hard to do then running alot of tc's the program itself has to be alot smoother most place just don't want to bother or atleast it seems and for the moment tc's are big so they don't care.But I stop running tc's it just costs too much period.car kits are too much and a ton more stuff to play with to get it right 12's are so much easier once you learn it which I won't lie takes a bit of time.I look at this way if you can drive 12th scale everything else is a bit easier.
bill941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
At our club, the guys who were a lap up in touring car ended 3-4 laps up in 1/12 scale. It magnfied the performance disparity and predictably, once guys got the feeling they were not going to be able to compete, they stopped showing up.
See now that's a problem I see more and more lately. For me finishing that far behind gives me incentive to practice and learn. These days it seems many people new to racing for some reason think they are going to buy a car and be competitive with guys who have been racing 10+ years. Yes some might be but the majority of them will not.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

12th has never been any different. It has always been perceived to be difficult to get into, and disruptive to race meetings. Despite that, it is the oldest electric RC class, and it is getting stronger and stronger.

The reason it has survived, and now thrives, is because although it is perceived to be difficult to get into, it is in fact very easy. Everyone who races 12th is very happy to help new drivers get going, and freely provide all the advice and support you will ever need. They do that because they know that it is purely a driving class, and if you can drive better than they ca, that gets respect. You cannot buy an A Final in 12th, you have to earn it.

The low-cost nature of the class is enshrined in its rules - a solid rear axle and a low weight limit. Between these two, there is very little you can do to get a better car, so there have been only three (basic) version of the best selling car, the Associated RC12, since 1987. It also means that almost anyone can make a car, and so there has always been a source even in the bad times.

The "eight minutes disrupts a club night/National" isn't real. The extra three minutes are continuous, so they only add three minutes to each heat - time usually wasted in TC waiting for people to get to the line!! I've never found any Club that has tried it that has a problem with it.

I think it is not popular today because you have to make a real effort to race. Off-Road and TC have good RTR cars, and once you have them you just run them - it's like a 3D Play Station. With 12th, you have to put more effort in to both build, learn to drive, and maintain the car. Everyone says they are so finicky on set-up, but the truth is that all cars are like that. TC and Off-Road are just more tolerant to bad set-up and maintenance, but they are going badly just the same!

12th is doing great, so if people don't want to come and try, we'll live with that. However, for people in 12th, we never lose an opportunity to presuad epeople to give it a try and help them out - which usually results in a new driver! We 12th drivers are dedicated, as the length of this post shows!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Reading this has been interesting. I really would like to try driving 1/12 pan cars, but I have no clue where to start, or if there are even any carpet tracks that run pan car near me. I live in Santa Barbara CA btw. I would rather go nitro TC, but the closest track is darn near 3 hours away. (I actually started RC runnning Nitro TC) I dont mind traveling that far to race my 8th scale buggy, mainly because it takes so much to break those that I rarely have to be in the pits. If I can just hang around a good track for a while I will pick it up VERY fast. Since I am NOT an electric guy, I would rather run brushless and lipo, instead of buying a motor lathe and have to worry about battery maintenance...
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

once upon a time it was a little hard to figure out how to setup the cars and also somewhat difficult to come up with a fast motor and to make run time with the batterys. Happily all those troubles are things of the past. If one gets a car from CRC or Speedmerchant and sets it up exactly per their instructions and their readily available posted team driver setup sheets....the cars will work. There's no need for a bunch of upgrades either, their current cars come complete with "all the right stuff". todays batterys are so good that run time is no longer a problem and really good packs can be purchased most anywhere at decent prices. No need for those rare and super expensive super team packs any longer. Today's packs also last a good long while too as compared to previous generations of battery that went soft pretty quickly. And there's enough good aftermarket motor tuners like EA Motorsports, or team Brood, or Express Motorsports that offer really good pre-tuned motors at very fair prices. So let's just say that most all the things that were once challenging to overcome if one wanted a really compedative car are far less problematic than ever. 1/12th scale is great fun racing available at a fraction of what one would spend to run any other scale of RC. We heartily invite you to make the plunge and to join us. And as others have stated on this thread, most of the "veterans" are also more than happy to help new guys figure things out.
vafactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Well, I do have to say that 12th scale is something to appreciate. When I started running this class I had no idea what I was doing. I gave up after a couple of races and stuck to TC. However TC was making me more upset cause no matter how much I practice, I was always 4 laps behind the lead guy and coming in last. I gave into running 12th scale again a year later, now I am 2 to 3 laps down from the leader (P2), and on my best day I am 1 lap down also I am not finishing last. Plus, any small changes done to a 12 car is more noticeable than to a TC. I have 3 of them and might end up adding to my collection later on.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why on earth would people want to drive a car that costs less and runs longer than TC's? You mean you actually have to drive them? What fun is that???
Schuie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuie Driver View Post
Why on earth would people want to drive a car that costs less and runs longer than TC's? You mean you actually have to drive them? What fun is that???
Why else, I do it to give the nitro touring guys hell going into a turn,flipping them like pancakes. Also to see something this small go as fast or even faster than a nitro tc and grab some air when the front end lifts up.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

12th can be for beginners it makes you learn setup real fast and learn how to drive real fast, I am proof of that I ran some tc then tryed 12th and I liked it alot more, yes I was gettin owned im the beginning but if you keep at it you can get competetive pretty fast ,I did it because tc was too expensive and I personally think tc is more finnicky than 12th and with the statement 12th is harder to drive I do agree to a point but thats a good thing so it makes you try more than tc. and theres no weird roar rules with 12th its all 4 cells and motors are the only class variants.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

12th scale growth comes from feeding off existing classes. Joe"RTR" ain't picking up a 12th scale to bash on the street with his buddies. He is getting a monster truck or nitro car and maybe just maybe an electric TC. Regardless there is about .5% of newbies buying a 12th.. Its probably even less as most shops in our area don't carry what they cant sell. Racing is secondary to most shops as they can dump off Savage after savage after revo after revo as fast as they can. When someone was to ask about that 12th scale they need this that and o ya you cant run it anywhere but on an ozite track or the most pristine of pavement... Love or hate 12th its got an up hill battle against the RTR market and the strangle hold TC racing has. I have raced both started our racing 10th pan and loved it. I can never get a 12th to run consistently but my TC on rubber tires runs the same run to run even after bitch slapping some boards. 12th I'm sorry it simply takes more precision to drive and set up properly. Maybe its my big hands and its small parts!?? LOL

But 12th lack of popularity has probably more to do with RC lack of racers or lack of growth at the club level. Locally we have been struggling for the last few years... the one constant has been stock TC. Its easy to sell to new racers cuz the cars can be used at home, they look supper cool while a 12th well lets be honest they are pretty boring

Not bashing if 50 guys showed up weekly to race 12th at my track i would be the first buy a new car.... but you need 50 racers period before you can expect 12th to grow. Johnny newbie ain't going to just show up one day with this brand new 12th, its gonna be existing racers moving from TC or other racing classes to 12th. Unfortunately for 12th scale lovers at the hobby shop there is very little push to sell these cars and with the total lack of selection and perhaps bling? what really attracts a new racer to the class?

Last edited by Joel Lagace; 07-17-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: poor ass spelling
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #30
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Mini racing is the new 1/12th scale. :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote