R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

bump for a good read. can't wait to see what turns out. Thanks for keeping us updated Shawn!!
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
Old 11-08-2007, 02:50 AM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to d4_racer

hey,
just wondering but why are people on the threads (not this one) dissing the SP brushless motors, eg. 6.5r and saying they are shit and bad?

i dont understand why they say it when i personally own one and it RIPS!!!! its got amazing torque and gets to top speed in an instant and can run hotter as its got cooling vents built in and a fan. the motor is bloody great and faster than a novak of the same 'r' eg. 6.5r is faster than a novak 6.5r.

its annoying random people on the net that prolly dont even OWN the motor and continue to say they are shit and crap.

anyone wanna shed some light into why they are crap? with PROOF

thanks,
HAPPY SP MOTOR OWNER
^^^^^^^^^^^^

out of racing, but a proud marshall, lol
Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 AM   #108
Tech Elite

A lot of what is read must be taken with a pinch of salt.
Unless the guys justify there statements then theres reason to believe.

Its still early days for SpeedPasion compared to Novak, LRP etc.. but there is some very nice products to follow...
so to all interested and involved with brushless "keep a open mind" theres lots to come from all the players in the brushless game.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
Old 11-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #109
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ran a SP 9.5 for the first time this evening and was very impressed. I geared at a rollout of 30mm and the motor came off the track at about 200F so it was high but I did run for longer than normal. Lap times were almost identical to a checkpoint I was running earlier in the evening. I was only able to run the motor once but it's certainly looks promising, just have to get the temperature down.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Are the SP ESC on sale yet? Any links?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #111
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I ran a SP 9.5 for the first time this evening and was very impressed. I geared at a rollout of 30mm and the motor came off the track at about 200F so it was high but I did run for longer than normal. Lap times were almost identical to a checkpoint I was running earlier in the evening. I was only able to run the motor once but it's certainly looks promising, just have to get the temperature down.
The shaft came apart from the magnet while I was revving the motor on the bench so now we'll see what Speed Passion's service is like

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
Old 11-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #112
Suspended

Any body know what the 13.5 b/l motor are equal to they are not equal to a stock 27t motor i will tell you that much,maybe a 19t,is that why novak made the 21.5ss motor to cover their "ASS"! MY.02cents!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #113
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidriver70 View Post
Any body know what the 13.5 b/l motor are equal to they are not equal to a stock 27t motor i will tell you that much,maybe a 19t,is that why novak made the 21.5ss motor to cover their "ASS"! MY.02cents!
Don't blame Novak. Thier computer modeling test said the 13.5 was right with the bonded rotor. Unfortunatly the bonded rotor wasn't very good for typical racers that really pushed everything to the limit.

The sinterd rotor was better from an idiot proofing standpoint...it just made the more faster. It not quite as fast as a 19T but it is faster then a stock motor when geared properly.

13.5 is like a boulder running down hill now...It will be the "New" stock class even though its really faster...there is no stopping it.

Even if you wanted to go to 17.5 or 21.5 BL you could not hit the gear ratios necessary for these motors with the cars we have today.

To run a 13.5 in my sedan I need to switch from my normal 116T spur used in 27T, 19T, and mod for a 96T spur. In 1/12th on a big track I have to go from 96T to 78T (thats about the size of my diff rings)! It would be damn near impossible to gear 17.5 or 21.5 high enough to get it to run right.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #114
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidriver70 View Post
Yep, Novak is coming out with their 21.5 since it is commonly considered that stock is too fast for novice, etc. and with the way things are going stock is being redefined. They also have a 17.5. I think it is a good move on their part to slow things down a bit. I probably won't be running it, but still think the lower classes need something like this. BTW, Novak never said their 13.5 was equal to a 27t; only similar. In fact, their 4300 bonded rotor motor when first out was marketed as their stock motor but never the same as 27t and we know that motor (now called 10.5 with sintered rotor) is faster than a 19t brushed. The 13.5 with sintered rotor is closer to 19t brushed.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #115
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
The shaft came apart from the magnet while I was revving the motor on the bench so now we'll see what Speed Passion's service is like
This should not happen but it brings up a good thing to mention.

NEVER REV ANY BL MOTOR TO FULL THROTTLE WITH NO LOAD.

This is especially true of sub 10.5T BL mod motors. They can generate such huge RPM under no load that even a perfectly made motor can self destruct due to harmonics in the shaft/rotor, centripital forces, play due to slightly worn bearings, etc....at 70,000rpm+.

Actually,this is true of Mod BR motors in the 8T-7T range too.

Under racing conditions the weight of your car and drive train loads keep terminal rpm in check.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #116
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
To run a 13.5 in my sedan I need to switch from my normal 116T spur used in 27T, 19T, and mod for a 96T spur. In 1/12th on a big track I have to go from 96T to 78T (thats about the size of my diff rings)! It would be damn near impossible to gear 17.5 or 21.5 high enough to get it to run right.
You hit that on the head. The current slotted motors require the smallest gearing possible in mod and the largest gearing possible in stock. The downside of needing low cost and using the same parts to build all the motors instead of designing for each application.

It will take some time to educate people on our motors because the Kv's are about 50% to 70% of the current mod motors. Fits the middle of the gearing range better and allows you to gear over a wide range.

Unfortunately our 10.5, 13.5 and 17.5 slotted sensored motors are the same and require the tallest gears. We have no choice in the matter. It is a odd situation that we must be equal, not better or we are illegal, not slower or we flop, the same...

The 17.5 does need full size tires and the largest pinion in most cars to get it all and keep up with a stock brushed. It is a closer match than the 13.5 unless the stock motor is geared to gernade.

Tekin Prez
Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #117
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
13.5 is like a boulder running down hill now...It will be the "New" stock class even though its really faster...there is no stopping it.
You are exactly right - we are getting what we asked for. I believe the 13.5 is way too fast for the beginner - the torque on these things (when they are geared like a grenade) is unbelievable. Call it like it is - this will be the next "stock" class.

At a race not too long ago, where the track was extremely tight - I actually ran a faster single lap with my 13.5 than my 10.5. I was about 1 lap total faster with the 10.5, but I could almost be as fast in a really tight track with my 13.5 than my 10.5.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #118
Team Tekin

However they match up I have to admit we are having a lot of fun with the slower 17.5 motors. You can actually bump and grind like real nascar and the racing is very tight all over the track. Tires last forever and we race 20min. Beer drinkin speed!

Tekin Prez
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #119
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
You can actually bump and grind like real nascar and the racing is very tight all over the track. Tires last forever and we race 20min. Beer drinkin speed!

Tekin Prez
nice......
Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #120
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Tekin: Now with even more bump & grind.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 13.5 in action. I hope it can run well with the CC ESC's too, they're popular with the off-road folks around here since the company is local, and those guys don't want to buy new ESC's to run on-road in the winter.
Closed Thread