R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #766
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In the instructions it says if you enable the temp cut off it happens at 95*C....thats 203*F. That's were Neo Magnets begin to start weakening. Running at 180*F is OK as long as you keep your runs to 5 min and let the motor cool off between runs.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #767
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
In the instructions it says if you enable the temp cut off it happens at 95*C....thats 203*F. That's were Neo Magnets begin to start weakening. Running at 180*F is OK as long as you keep your runs to 5 min and let the motor cool off between runs.
Setting for the 13.5 Novak I ran default/recommended with no temp or voltage cutoff. I did find it weird that I was getting temp cutoff saying it was the motor. But I temped the motor and it was only about 140ish no more then 150. Was getting the double blinking lights on the ESC. So I just ran without it on.

Next time I fire the car up I'll check the settings to be sure and do one of those sheets
Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #768
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
What timing and punch settings did you end up running?

Hmm...we need a speedo setup sheet...see below.

sweeeeet...........thanks, looks great!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #769
Tech Addict

how much does the GT wieght ?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:08 AM   #770
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

How do you guy's like this new speedo over the LRP?

1/12th Fo' Life!!! R.I.P Mike Reedy, R.I.P John Williams

[-Horsham RC-] [-Jackson RC-] [-RC Car World-] [ Black Out Free 2015 ]
Old 01-07-2008, 05:39 AM   #771
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to makytc4

question for you. got my self a speedpassion gt at weekend car was fast smooth the lot very impressed. slight problem with it tho just wondering if anyone else had had the same problem. works fine but every other lap when you let the throttle off it brakes it self to a sudden stop occasionally it did it and went back a meter or so. reset it all tryed capacitors on everything still no different take i just have a faulty one
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 AM   #772
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by makytc4 View Post
question for you. got my self a speedpassion gt at weekend car was fast smooth the lot very impressed. slight problem with it tho just wondering if anyone else had had the same problem. works fine but every other lap when you let the throttle off it brakes it self to a sudden stop occasionally it did it and went back a meter or so. reset it all tryed capacitors on everything still no different take i just have a faulty one
Mine did this when I hadn't set up the neutral, throttle high point and brake high point properly.

Are you running sensored or sensorless?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #773
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by makytc4 View Post
This is exactly what mine did for the mains at US touring car champs. It was fine up until the mains then it started to do this same thing. It was also making my receiver/radio(futaba 2.4 system) go into fail safe mode. The GT worked great up until the mains when for what ever reason it started to do this where it would stop for a second and then just start up again for no reason. When I had the car in my pit I could watch it run then when I would let off it would stop for a second then run backwards for a spilt second then go forward again. I tired a new receiver, extra cap, reset everything and still the problem was there. I dont know if I would have done any better in the mains but the car stopping on the track 2 or 3 times a lap didnt help me out much. When the speedo was working it was awesome but now I dont know it is just strange how this happened. Maybe I have a bad one aswell?
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #774
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

When will the next shipment of speedos be in?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #775
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
This is exactly what mine did for the mains at US touring car champs. It was fine up until the mains then it started to do this same thing. It was also making my receiver/radio(futaba 2.4 system) go into fail safe mode. The GT worked great up until the mains when for what ever reason it started to do this where it would stop for a second and then just start up again for no reason. When I had the car in my pit I could watch it run then when I would let off it would stop for a second then run backwards for a spilt second then go forward again. I tired a new receiver, extra cap, reset everything and still the problem was there. I dont know if I would have done any better in the mains but the car stopping on the track 2 or 3 times a lap didnt help me out much. When the speedo was working it was awesome but now I dont know it is just strange how this happened. Maybe I have a bad one as well?
I know you probably dud this but did you try resetting the speedo to the transmitter's neutral high and low points?

How much throttle endpoint were you running. The SP instructions call out for +/- 100% endpoints. Novak and LRP tell you to run the endpoints up to the max the radio can go. I know Keyence speedos hiccup and do weird stuff if they see an endpoint greater than 100%.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #776
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
I know you probably dud this but did you try resetting the speedo to the transmitter's neutral high and low points?

How much throttle endpoint were you running. The SP instructions call out for +/- 100% endpoints. Novak and LRP tell you to run the endpoints up to the max the radio can go. I know Keyence speedos hiccup and do weird stuff if they see an endpoint greater than 100%.
Yeah I reset them and then reset the speedo again and the problem was still there. The only thing i didnt try was another radio or another ESC. Next time I get out thats what Im going to try.

I was running them at 100%....that was the first thing I thought of too when I started to have this issue. But it was strange and sucked that it just started to do this for the mains. The whole rest of the week it was fine and when it was fine its a very good speedo and I like it alot....now I just need to figure out why or what the heck is going on.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #777
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I got to run the new 13.5 and the 5.5 motors yesterday and all I've got to say is WOW! Nice power band and lots of ponys.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #778
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

46 grams WITHOUT wires, but that includes the Cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttmonkey1969 View Post
how much does the GT wieght ?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #779
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
How long were you running per test session? Our track is like 85' x 50' (skypilot chime in here) and I'm running a 36mm rollout. Temps are about 145-degrees max. I haven't played with more gear than that but in a 6min run I'm gonna have to find out what kind of speed (if any) I can get in that temp range. I'm loving the SP stuff though the more I play with it
I was testing in 5 min + 3lap sessions (just short of 6 min) I honestly think that 140 deg is being extremely conservative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Jaybee can you tell us what that rollout is in Final Drive ratio?

They did well in at Novak. Market did not want to risk switching over electronics the day of a big race so he still ran a GTB. Kevin was running the Speed Passion GT for sure.

--

I tested the SP GT again today after stopping by to watching some of the Novak mains...

With a Novak 13.5 it definitely rips. Playing around with timing and gearing I think is the key to getting it even faster. But the default/recommended settings work just as good as the GTB.

Running a SP GT and SP 10.5 it seems you really have to gear it up. I'm not sure what sns820s 48mm rollout is equal to in final drive but we were running close to 4.6! The motor really came alive at that ratio. This was tested with both a SP GT and Novak GTB.
The final drive for that rollout cannot be determined without knowing the tire size
Maintaining 47- 48 mm rollout with tire size changing my final drive has been between 3.7 -4.0 this is crazy but this is were I ended up in order to maintain comparable lap times to my brushed motor runs.Motor temped in 180's

AWESOMATIX USA-SANWA--BSR--TEAM SCREAM --SWEEP RACING USA--TQ WIRE--ROCHE USA--LRP
Old 01-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #780
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I never set mine either (using the radio) and experienced the same thing.

I've only programmed my speedo directly though the programming box only. Our recommendations are to set the end points exactly like the instructions say, then do the fine tune programming on the box. (Timing, DTRS Etc.)

(*throttle, neutral, and brake on the radio should be done as initial programming)

Once thats complete you shouldn't be finding these issues any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Mine did this when I hadn't set up the neutral, throttle high point and brake high point properly.

Are you running sensored or sensorless?