Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #706
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
What FDR are you running on your 10.5?
With Rubbers Ritchie (skypilot) is running like 5.2-5.4fdr. I'm on foams, and I'm at 36mm rollout

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
Old 01-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #707
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Put mine on backorder :P
Hey knucklehead...call me!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #708
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Thumbs up Speed Passion Exige

G'day Shawn,

I have the Speed Passion Exige with the JR RS-540BL1 motor which is a 17T sensorless motor. The package comes complete with the speedie and motor and has a male Deans plug fitted for the battery.

I have been using this system in my Mini and it has comparable lap times to the Tamiya RS 540 black can. This is with the 20 tooth pinion fitted.

We are currently trailing this motor against the black can during the latest Mini point score.

Later

Calvin.
Attached Thumbnails
Speedpassion Brushless.-dsc00372.jpg   Speedpassion Brushless.-dsc00374.jpg  
Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #709
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Bro, I love the Avitar. Uncle traveling matt was the man!!!
Fraggle rock was/is the best. i grew up watching it and now thruogh DVDs my kids love it too.

oh yeah...

still no postman
Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #710
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Last night I made a little discovery...
I advanced the timing on the motor (10.5) by one screw hole clockwise. Electronically timing was at the default (18.75*) and punch turn to its max. I went out for a practice run & the motor wouldn't turn over. I thought maybe it was the sensor wires, so I pulled one end out. Surprisingly the motor worked but had that little hiccup of hesitating from full-off to full-on. But I practiced any way and ran for about 6-7min without ANY PROBLEMS whatsoever. I was pretty amazed.
Did some more bench testing after that, and with the timing advanced mechanically like I had it, the motor wouldn't turn over w/ the sensor wire plugged in. And I tried this with the "AMTS" timing @ #1, #4-8. But the motor worked w/o the sensor wire though. I can't speak intelligently on the reason for this but I found it to be pretty cool.
Nevertheless, I put the motor back to normal and ran the following settings-

2.(6) 4.(9) 7.(1) 8.(2) 9.(6)...I also boosted my Throttle Expo to +30 and that helped with the punch that I was looking for. I didn't have as much top-end but with our track, I like having the infield/handling advantage
don't forget its a sensor OR senorless esc so with out the cable it would still run the motor, just not as smooth
Old 01-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #711
Tech Elite

Are the Speed Passion ESC's waterproof at all?

Thanks
Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Old 01-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #712
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Losi View Post
don't forget its a sensor OR senorless esc so with out the cable it would still run the motor, just not as smooth
I knew that bud...the point I was making was about the mechanical timing on the motor.
On that note...Adrian, Shawn, anyone- is there timing on the motor to begin with?

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #713
Tech Apprentice

Hi Guys,

Just received my Speed Passion 3.5 Competition to run with the GTB

I know its for onroad but my gtb is in my B44 right now and I cant wait to try it!! Speed Runs!!

I'll be running 84/18 that makes it FDR: 11.67, do you think it will be ok??(knowing buggy wheels are bigger)

On the box they suggest a ratio from 9.2 to 12 but I guess thats for touring cars..

Any thoughts would be helpful, will try it anyway just want to be sure I wont smoke it on the first run, will be monitoring with temp gun

Does the SP thermal protection/shutdown actually works? Anyone has experienced it??

THANKS!!!
Kyosho MP777 RB S7
Kyosho Mad Force (needs work) and Minium cessna
Jammin CRT.5 SH .12 turbo engine
Traxxas S-Maxx
Yokomo World SD replica (500 items only)
Schumacher Rascal (needs new tank)
Losi Micro-t
CEN Nemesis (needs radio)
....perhaps a little addicted??
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #714
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

There's not much info on the SP 3.5's yet because the US version has yet to be released, we should have them very shortly, but I'm not sure which version of the motor your using to assist.

I would start with whatever FDR you were using with your previous 3.5 and go from there.

As for the thermal protection I'm honestly not sure? We havent "temped" any of our systems yet in the shop, and that's normally a torture test I try to avoid

Maybe someone else may want to chime in on temping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loverc View Post
Hi Guys,

I know its for onroad but my gtb is in my B44 right now and I cant wait to try it!! Speed Runs!!

I'll be running 84/18 that makes it FDR: 11.67, do you think it will be ok??(knowing buggy wheels are bigger)

On the box they suggest a ratio from 9.2 to 12 but I guess thats for touring cars..

Any thoughts would be helpful, will try it anyway just want to be sure I wont smoke it on the first run, will be monitoring with temp gun

Does the SP thermal protection/shutdown actually works? Anyone has experienced it??

THANKS!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #715
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loverc View Post
Hi Guys,

THANKS!!!
i'd have to say, with the tire size, you may want to go 89/15 or 14 on that, oh and hang on tight,. i'd temp it after a few laps
Old 01-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #716
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Does anyone know what tempature the SP GT will use the over-heat protection? I noticed that you can either enable or disbale the over-heat protection. Mine will be enabled, but it would be good to know the temp. I would also assume that the over-heat protection is for the GT and not the motor.

Thanks...
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 AM   #717
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default wiring

Finally got my car done and ready to do some testing on saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
Speedpassion Brushless.-dscf0714.jpg   Speedpassion Brushless.-dscf0715.jpg   Speedpassion Brushless.-dscf0719.jpg  
Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #718
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Well I installed my speed passion gt and 10.5 in my car yesterday and got to run a couple of packs through it. I am amazed at how smooth the throttle was. I started the car out with a 88/35 and the car was about the equivelent to my stock times. I then increased to 88/39 and now started to flirt with 19t brushed times. So I put in a fresh pack and ran it for 5 minutes and temped it immediately after , the highest temp I got was 150. After that run I wasnt quite impressed with the speed of the motor and with the temp not being off the charts I increased to 88/42 now the motor started to come alive, so once again I put in a fresh pack and ran 5 min + 3 additional laps and temped it again the highest temp was 153. The car felt the best with the 88/42 and turned the most consistent lap times compared to my brush 19t motors but I am still thinking I can go more with the gearing what kind of temps are these motors running at . I am now at a 41.9 rollout with foams . I am using all stock settings except drrs is at 9

AWESOMATIX USA-SANWA--BSR--TEAM SCREAM --SWEEP RACING USA--TQ WIRE--ROCHE USA--LRP
Old 01-04-2008, 04:17 AM   #719
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Sal,

What brand of car are you using? I know you listed your roll out so it probably doesn't matter. From everything that everyone has posted about running BL, its time for me to buy some new pinions

Would you say by the end of the day your BL setup was faster than your 19T BR?

Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 01-04-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #720
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

[QUOTE=corallyman;4037005]Sal,

What brand of car are you using? I know you listed your roll out so it probably doesn't matter. From everything that everyone has posted out running BL, its time for me to buy some new pinions

Would you say by the end of the day your BL setup was faster than your 19T BR?

I am running the Corally PHI

I wouldnt say it was faster so far about the same but I will do more testing today to give some more feedback . One thing for sure after the second 5 min run I immediately discharged my pack and at a 35 amp discharge on GFX I had 235 sec left ! that crazy

AWESOMATIX USA-SANWA--BSR--TEAM SCREAM --SWEEP RACING USA--TQ WIRE--ROCHE USA--LRP
Closed Thread