Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba 3PK and Spectrum module

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Futaba 3PK and Spectrum module

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has tried or is running the Hitec Spectrum synthisized RF module in their Futaba 3PK. Does this combination work 100% right?

Are there any problems (glitching, loss of control etc.), in using this combination aside from the usual "you will void your warranty" and "this is not legal" offical lines that Hitec and Futaba will give me?

If you are running this setup can you share your experiences with us?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-14-2003, 11:02 AM
che
Tech Regular

A couple guys up here tried it and found it NOT to work at all...
Old 04-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default RE: Spectrum and 3PK

Hi Che,

Do you have any details? Which Futaba transmitter, 3PK or 3PJ? What modulation were they using, PPPM, PCM, HRS? What brand and model of receivers, were they Hitec dual or single conversion, Futaba High Rate, PPM or PCM? Please ask your friends about the details of what they tried and what hardware they used. Thanks!

Cheers
Old 04-14-2003, 11:54 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There is another thread here with people that say it works fine.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Just to keep people from being confused, it's "Spectra" module made by HiTec. I use one on my 3PJS and it works great! Combine that with Novak XXtra receivers and I'm never waiting for a frequency clip. Dunno about the 3PK, though. It looks like it takes the same transmitter modules that the 3PJS takes. I don't really care about PCM and have never experienced any glitching with this setup on electric or nitro cars.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

In case you care about this, I also made it through ROAR and TCS tech with this, even though it's against FCC regs to run the Hitec module in a Futaba radio.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Futaba 3PK and Hitec SPECTRA module

Hi Psycho,

I just came back from the local Hobby People shop where I tested the Specta module in my 3PK. I tested the 3PK in PPM with the Tx antenna down with one of my Hitec DCX dual conversion Rx's, the DCX's antenna was coiled up. I came back at after I got outside the store, it was still working perfectly and glitch free at well over 100' with 10.0 volts showing on the Tx's internal battery voltmeter.

Then I repeated the test with the 3PK in HRS modulation mode using a new Futaba HRS R203HR Rx with a tightly coiled antenna with a wire twist tie on the antenna and it too was working perfectly past 100'.

Based on this testing I would say that this is a pretty good combination to use. It seems safe and I'll try it out this week and see. But from what I've seen now with my own Tx and Rx packs this is a hot combo!

Thanks all for the help!

Cheers/Chip
Old 04-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default ???

Hi Psycho,

Is this you from the F201 boards?

Cheers/Chip
Old 04-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Cool! It's good to know that I can use the Spectra module if I decide to upgrade to a 3PK. Yep, it's the same me from www.formula1-rc.com he he he...
Old 04-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 3pk and spectra

I have been using this combination for a couple of months now. It works perfectly. We actually have a couple of people at our track using this combo. I have never once had a glitch with the exception of a few weeks ago when someone left a radio on at the race directors table. The only negative is that you have to take the module out to change the frequency(I had made a mod in the 3pj so that I could change without removing).

My guess is that Futaba will have a module of their own in the future. I would think that they did not design those to slots in the module door for looks because they are actually ugly.

Bottom line is that you should not have any problems using the module with the radio. You obviously wont be using PCM or the new HRS but it works as a PPM transmitter.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 3PK and Hitec Spectra module

Hi Joneser,

Read a little bit higher up in the thread. I tested my 3PK with the Spectra (now MY Spectra module BTW), in place using HRS modulation mode with my HRS R203 HR, it worked as well as the Hitec DCX did in PPM and did not glitch or stop working even after I was well past 100' from it with a coiled up Rx antenna and fully collapsed 3PK antenna! It appears to work in HRS and PPM modulation modes. I don't have a PCM receiver to try it on so cannot say one way or another with it.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Be careful on using the Spectra on the 3PK's. I have switch to 3PK from 3PJ because of the ease of use in settings and figuring out that the Spectra works. It sure does work but the servo' exhibit a shaking movement in neutral position that does not occur in the 3PJ, I have 2 spectras and they both do the same. Now I'm back using the 3PJ until I get enough Crystals to use on the regular module. The 3pk is good when you want ease in settings and use of digital servos.
Oh yah, these are all base on a non-digital servo/receiver setup.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Izzy,

I only tested using a digital servo, I used the same digital servo on both receivers Itested with. I'll try a fast analog servo with one of my DCX receivers in PPM and see what happens. Thanks for the lead! I'll post results later.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by chiplouie
Izzy,

I only tested using a digital servo, I used the same digital servo on both receivers Itested with. I'll try a fast analog servo with one of my DCX receivers in PPM and see what happens. Thanks for the lead! I'll post results later.
OK so, you mean that a digital set-up works fine with the Spectra Set-up?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

will the hitec spectra module/futaba 3Pk/novak xxtra receiver work on 4-cells?

i plan to get a spectra and xxtra for my 1/12 because im having problems getting the hrs receiver to work on 4-cells. ive been told that hrs needs 6 volts and i dont want to install a receiver pack. thanks for any info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.