Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #46
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
id think this to!

why is it faster? speed punch faster... or just smoother laps?
its alot smoother to drive in my opinion and i can gear up alot more,and less heat in the motor and esc

the best thing you can do is try it yourself like i did then make your choice after,, all i can tell you is that i do not have any 6 cell packs in my box anymore!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You've replaced the 6cell packs with pinions the size of cells, eh?
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Like others have said, faster lap times are yielded for a few reasons:

1) It smooths the power band out. Many don't want to admit that they could actually go faster with less motor. Why do you think people run a 12 turn brushed motor in a 2wd offroad buggy instead of a 7 turn?

2) The car is lighter and thus more nimble around the track.

3) Less power produces less heat allowing the motors to run faster longer.

4) Less power and weight reduce wear on the tires, thus tires have a longer "peak" performance.

These are just a few advantages I've seen in the 4 months of 5 cell testing I've seen. Hopefully the racers will embrace it and it will become the norm.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:37 AM   #49
Tech Addict

From my experience 5 cells helped bring mod TC back to where more people can drive it.....the power is smoother, you gear up to get the same top speed, and the car is lighter which actually helps make it feel like it has more cornering grip. I think it is unbeatable as long as there is also a break in the weight limit (like ROAR and Reedy Race). I don't plan on switching back...ever.

I wanted to post what I've been running just so people know what the Factory guys are using. I know I am sponsored by LRP, but I've driven other combos and LRP X11 4.5 and Sphere TC is what I would recommend. I think most people with a LRP 3.5 would have too much motor and I would only recommend it to someone racing at the highest level. I think the Novak motors and speedos behave a little differently and you would have to consult Charlie or Steve for help with their stuff.

Here's where I start with my 4.5:
Small outdoor/indoor track: use 8.7 gearing to start. For 3.5 start at 9.2
Large outdoor track: start at 8.2, go to 7.9 if needed. For 3.5 start at 8.5

My radio setup:
Throttle: 100% EPA, -20% EXPO THR
Brake: 65% EPA, -10% EXPO BRK
Speedo: 2-4-1-2

I would play with the mode2 (throttle profile) between 3-4-5 depending on how much power you want.
kdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
You've replaced the 6cell packs with pinions the size of cells, eh?
lol nope just a smaller spur
Old 07-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #51
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would try 5 cell but I switched to LiPo in last year september and will NEVER look back...
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #52
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01 View Post
I would try 5 cell but I switched to LiPo in last year september and will NEVER look back...
im waiting for lipo to be legal here , they may allow the hard case lipos so ill wait until that day
Old 07-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #53
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doucakis View Post
Post some more photos with electronics neatly installed and maybe some details regarding left/right balance.
Hi
the motor position is not enought to balance it (all electronics in the left side). And the front/rear balance point is a 10mm longer to the back side, just missing the track test

+gaz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
i never tried it with brushed motors i havent touched a brushmotor for over a year and a half

i dont have my money for bl yet......... soon enuff, but idk if im going to go nitro yet
but i think elec........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
its alot smoother to drive in my opinion and i can gear up alot more,and less heat in the motor and esc

the best thing you can do is try it yourself like i did then make your choice after,, all i can tell you is that i do not have any 6 cell packs in my box anymore!!

yeh, but with bl..... in theory can 5 cell work? and how much do u think i should gear up? when am i over geared? i cant really tell, i just had someone tell me my gearing and it works good
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #55
Tech Initiate

I also change my T2 to 5cell type today. The balance is O.K. Many people tell the car will be much more drivable than before. Is it true? I will run it to feel next weekend.

LRP Sphere original + 3 Star
Attached Thumbnails
5-cell: Lessons, Experiences, Tips, Issues, Questions-01.jpg   5-cell: Lessons, Experiences, Tips, Issues, Questions-02.jpg  
srw_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw_g View Post
I also change my T2 to 5cell type today. The balance is O.K. Many people tell the car will be much more drivable than before. Is it true? I will run it to feel next weekend.

LRP Sphere original + 3 Star
you might want to run the batteries all the way foward and the receiver in the back.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

well i raced

i didnt try out 5 cell

i ran onn 6, an dit was SLOOOW so i got my motor cut, and new brushes and it was good again!

so then it got cooler and i switched to sorex 28's and man car was AWSOME

and i didnt want to try getting it to work on 5 cell, i got lazy lol

next time, but i think i will wait till i go bl
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #58
Tech Master

In case anyone is wondering what happened to my 5-cell experiment, here's the story.

I put the ESC back on the motor side and ignored the left-right imbalance. First race of the day, 5 minutes to start, I soldered my battery to ESC. Lots of sparks, followed by lots of smoke from the ESC, followed by me unsoldering the connection. I looked again at the wires, and confirmed that I had the red wire at the front as I was intended. WTF??? Looked again, and noticed the small cell tab was at the back-outside. Back-outside is supposed to be the negative connection - the big tab! Dammit! Turns out with a direct-solder 5-cell system you can have the battery in 180degrees out and it is very hard to tell until smoke pours out.

Those of you direct-soldering 5-cell, what's your safety tip? Just look at the battery and note which end has positive tab and which negative before putting it in, every single time, without forgetting?

So, I boxed up my shiny but stinky almost-new LRP and mailed it to AE. Which is stunning, because after reading the "LRP Service Sucks" thread some months ago I swore to not buy an LRP ESC. Then the TC Spec came out, and it sounded like it wouldn't die for no reason like earlier LRPs, so I broke my word and bought one. Then, before I even get a chance to drive the car, I smoke it and send it in for 'LRP Service.'

Back to 6-cell for me. When that ESC comes back (how much do you figure that replacement will cost me?) I'll be using pigtails and Deans on the battery so this can't happen again. I might switch to 6mm bullets in a few months.

Thankfully I was also testing the Novak 13.5SS in my stock car, since our club recently allowed stock brushless in stock. I ran that in Mod, and ended up winning (second place was a Checkpoint 9t). Pretty fast motor, those 13.5SSs.

-Adam
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Paint a big red mark on postive side of battery always work for me.

Or using Dean connector. Or, using different size of banana connector, ex: 4mm on negative side, 3.5mm on postive side, would save you some ESC..
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #60
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 View Post
Like others have said, faster lap times are yielded for a few reasons:

1) It smooths the power band out. Many don't want to admit that they could actually go faster with less motor. Why do you think people run a 12 turn brushed motor in a 2wd offroad buggy instead of a 7 turn?

2) The car is lighter and thus more nimble around the track.

3) Less power produces less heat allowing the motors to run faster longer.

4) Less power and weight reduce wear on the tires, thus tires have a longer "peak" performance.

These are just a few advantages I've seen in the 4 months of 5 cell testing I've seen. Hopefully the racers will embrace it and it will become the norm.

Has these findings been just for mod or is it the same for 19 and stock as well with brushless. I know Marcos says its faster but we all need more testimony...

Texas EOS 2018!
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote