R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default FT TC4 Still Competitive?

Is the Factory Team TC4 still a competitive car? Will it still be a competitive car if I mount an object about as heavy as a 6 cell battery on the top deck?

I'm not kidding at all.
Yub, yub, cmdr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Yes the TC4, in the right hands, can still hang with the new breed of touring cars on the market. As for a 6 cell pack on the top deck, it will effect the handling due to the added weight up top (higher CG), but if theres another 6 cell pack in the normal spot too, it should be plenty fast
Old 07-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yub, yub, cmdr! View Post
Is the Factory Team TC4 still a competitive car? Will it still be a competitive car if I mount an object about as heavy as a 6 cell battery on the top deck?

I'm not kidding at all.
Well i still run my old TC3 and and regularly beat new styled belt driven cars, at the end of the day it is about driving ability and also the setup of the car. If you were to mount an object on the top deck it would increase the C of G and would cause you no end of problems on the race track...

steve
bs6ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Can I offset it?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What do you mean by offset it? Offset the raised C of G? Not really, to some extent you can by lowering the car, but that will only help a little.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Sean R

If you drive in extremely low traction conditions, the higher battery location will give you extra traction that you otherwise couldn't have.
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Tech Adept

See, I need to find the right platform to mount a robotics controller on for a racing robot. It has to be fairly durable and decently competitive even with a 3 ounce, 85 gram, 3x4 in controller on top. I messed up in saying it's a 6 cell pack weight. It's much less. Will 85 grams be too big of a problem? I'll run LiPo/13.5 if my externally set budget allows.

So, my choices for a chassis right now are

TB02
TC4 new or used
used TB Evo

Belt drives I cannot find one that will fit this controller without mounting it vertically or to the body.

As a last resort, I'll run 1/10 pan car. That should have plenty of space.

Any suggestions on chassis?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'd say stick with the TC4, unless you fine something that is dramatically better. If you are worried about the cars handling, you could use something like the HPI D-Box to help control the attitude of the car.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yub, yub, cmdr! View Post
See, I need to find the right platform to mount a robotics controller on for a racing robot. It has to be fairly durable and decently competitive even with a 3 ounce, 85 gram, 3x4 in controller on top. I messed up in saying it's a 6 cell pack weight. It's much less. Will 85 grams be too big of a problem? I'll run LiPo/13.5 if my externally set budget allows.

So, my choices for a chassis right now are

TB02
TC4 new or used
used TB Evo

Belt drives I cannot find one that will fit this controller without mounting it vertically or to the body.

As a last resort, I'll run 1/10 pan car. That should have plenty of space.

Any suggestions on chassis?
Sounds like an old BMI TC3 or TC4, whatever is cheaper (TC4 is more durable) will fit the bill. Don't know about any of the others, they may be good too. The BMI chassis was great and has all that room on top for stuff. 85 grams is not too bad although up that high will mess with the CG. I would guess the TC3 is about 1/2 - 3/4 lap down on the belt drives for a typical driver, and maybe another fraction of a lap with another 3 ounces up high.

Another possible option is a custom mount you fab for one of the belt drive cars you like. You don't have to be stuck with the OEM deck, just drill out holes and fab something out of plastic for a mount.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote