R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya TA05MS vs TRF415 MSXX (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/171991-tamiya-ta05ms-vs-trf415-msxx.html)

Xanavi_R34 07-11-2007 02:12 PM

Tamiya TA05MS vs TRF415 MSXX

Guys, which one do you think is worth it to buy??? I don't know which one to get... Getting confuse here... Any suggestion, comment, feedback, etc, etc will do... Originally I was suppose to get the MSXX but suddenly the TA05MS came and now I don't know which is which... I only plan to run it if ever which kit from these two in 23t or 19t (this is the lowest turn for me first)...

sportpak 07-11-2007 02:48 PM

The MSXX is a proven design. I had a TA05 and liked it. This however is a different animal. If your new, both these cars will be capable.

rampal 07-11-2007 03:45 PM

what do you want to race, in the first place, carpet or asphalt? msxx is the beast for asphalt, ta05ms, I'm keen to see it work yet... are you in a hurry?

HACHIROKU13BT 07-11-2007 04:09 PM

TA05MS VS. TRF415MSXX

:nod:Since the motor placement on the TA05MS is more toward the center - the TA05 is easier cornering. On the other hand TRF415MSXX, the motor is placed more toward the rear of the chassis, you may have more of a pushing out sensation on corners. Also, the TA05 allows for stick packs, where the 415, doesn't:nod:

rctouringracer 07-11-2007 04:12 PM

The 415's have stick pack options, one for the MSX and a soon to be released kit for the MSXX>:rolleyes:

Xanavi_R34 07-11-2007 09:35 PM

I run on asphalt...

What do you mean am I in a hurry??? getting the kit??? Not really but I want to have one of them asap...:D

Xanavi_R34 07-11-2007 09:38 PM

btw guy, right there are still some plastic parts from the ta05ms rather than the msxx??? msxx has no more plastic parts except for the arm, body posts, etc... on the other hand, ta05 ms's bumper stopper is still plastic, the servo holder is still plastic, not like the msxx...

rctouringracer 07-11-2007 10:16 PM

Don't forget the TB EVO 5 comes with the same amount of plastic the TA05 MS has and that doesn't make the EVO less a performer than the MSXX.:D

MrJames 07-11-2007 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Xanavi_R34 (Post 3477026)
btw guy, right there are still some plastic parts from the ta05ms rather than the msxx??? msxx has no more plastic parts except for the arm, body posts, etc... on the other hand, ta05 ms's bumper stopper is still plastic, the servo holder is still plastic, not like the msxx...

for a few bucks those plastic pieces can be aluminum. that's nothing.

Ben.C 07-11-2007 11:57 PM

Hi, I've heard from a friend saying that the TA05MS is more for stock class racing.So if you're doing stock class then the 05MS is for you. Or not you should go for the MSXX.

My 2 cents

TryHard 07-12-2007 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by HACHIROKU13BT (Post 3475893)
:nod:Since the motor placement on the TA05MS is more toward the center - the TA05 is easier cornering. On the other hand TRF415MSXX, the motor is placed more toward the rear of the chassis, you may have more of a pushing out sensation on corners. Also, the TA05 allows for stick packs, where the 415, doesn't:nod:

Sorry, I don't agree with that. There are other factors at play with regard handling and motor placment, namely the increased traction provided by the rotational force from the motor (the further back the motor, the more this adds traction).
Also... the TA05MS will have the batteries placed further off the centreline of the car. This is due mainly to the drivetrain, with the way the belts run not allowing them to be placed closer.
The layout of the 415's drivetrain (with the front belt down the centre line, and the layshaft behind the rear most cell) allows both the batteries and motor to be closer to the centre line, which will have a bigger effect on handling than the f/r motor placement.

I'm not trying to rubbish the 05MS, but trying to add a little perspective on the car verusus the 415 range. I still think we'll see a 416 out at some point in the not too distant future. IMHO this car is NOT a replacement for the 415 range.
No doubt it will be a good car...and in the hands of the average racer, they will probably very similar (and the TA05MS IFS looks really trick :p). But for ultimate performance the 415 will still have the edge.

Cruisaaja 07-12-2007 12:43 AM

Thanks ED clear that up. I still wait my MS and i thought at that car is my new carpet car with 5 cell and i still keep my MRE for the asphalt racing :cool:

I racing 17t class with my MRE and MS :)

rampal 07-12-2007 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cruisaaja (Post 3477428)
Thanks ED clear that up. I still wait my MS and i thought at that car is my new carpet car with 5 cell and i still keep my MRE for the asphalt racing :cool:

I racing 17t class with my MRE and MS :)

Oh, I will keep my MSXX, my original TA05 with all xenon bits (nothing is original anymore... :lol:) and the 05MS... all for mod... and see which one performs the best... I think all of them will have their own ideal usage of different situations...

cheers,
al

GymBeam 07-12-2007 02:14 AM

torque steer

buboy28 07-12-2007 02:16 AM

if you are going to get the kit with our LHS better get the MSXX:) i was informed that the TA-05MS will be almost the same price as the MSXX:)

rampal 07-12-2007 02:21 AM

the only plastic pieces that are different from the MSXX are upper bumper holder and servo holder....

the servo holder I will use some aluminum ones I have from an older project (tamiya as well) and i even prefer the plastic bumper holder, mainly because I put my transponder at the front, and plastic is more "transparent" than carbon to the transponder.... I even use the plastic one on my MSXX....

the 05MS can be a good option, donīt get down because these small plastic bits... everything else is MSXX alike...

cheers,
al

Xanavi_R34 07-12-2007 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by buboy28 (Post 3477677)
if you are going to get the kit with our LHS better get the MSXX:) i was informed that the TA-05MS will be almost the same price as the MSXX:)

oh really??? well I might as well get the msxx if that's the case... hahaha... can't wait for the msxx to come to our LHS... S#%@!!! whats taking so long for it to come to our country?!?! :cry::(

rampal 07-12-2007 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Xanavi_R34 (Post 3477875)
oh really??? well I might as well get the msxx if that's the case... hahaha... can't wait for the msxx to come to our LHS... S#%@!!! whats taking so long for it to come to our country?!?! :cry::(

distributor fights or decisions... for example, in my country, almost no LHS carries tamiya, due the distributor policy with prices... perhaps is your case as well....

Xanavi_R34 07-12-2007 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by rampal (Post 3477938)
distributor fights or decisions... for example, in my country, almost no LHS carries tamiya, due the distributor policy with prices... perhaps is your case as well....

maybe not sir... because they don't really have any problem with carrying Tamiya shops here in the Phil, it's just that they are mostly alwasy delay with the new items of tamiya international...

buboy28 07-13-2007 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Xanavi_R34 (Post 3480779)
maybe not sir... because they don't really have any problem with carrying Tamiya shops here in the Phil, it's just that they are mostly alwasy delay with the new items of tamiya international...

well maybe because the demand of the new products are much much higher in the U.S. and in Europe so might be thats the reason why they always have the new products first and since only a few of us wants it we almost always have it delayed or last to received it:)

nexxus 07-13-2007 01:14 AM

Like comparing a WRX to an Excel

IMO the TA05 MS is just a super hopped up Excel, underneath all the bling it's still a TA05

The MSXX is and was a supurb racer, a WRX.

flying G.E.O. 07-13-2007 01:58 AM

Wow sashiboy wants to buy an msx. Ready to take racing seriouslyspend for 4 sets of sub c every 5 months? :p
415 all the way. Its the kit of choice of tamiya worlds runner up Takaya Youichiro and you know how good he is here. ;) Banzai!

HI_808 07-13-2007 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by nexxus (Post 3481002)

IMO the TA05 MS is just a super hopped up Excel, underneath all the bling it's still a TA05

What's an Excel?

I think I get what you're saying, but inferring from the fact that I have no idea what an Excel is, that may be an unfair comparison. It might be more fair to say that the TA05 is to the MSX as the Silvia is to a Skyline.

Anyway, has anyone really examined the performance (actual, not theoretical) of the TA05MS yet?

miccal 07-13-2007 02:47 AM

An Excel is the cheapest model of Hyandai in Australia.

sosidge 07-13-2007 04:18 AM

Back on the TA05-bashing pills again then I see?

It's clear that the TA05MS is nothing like a normal TA05, and shares only a tiny amount of parts with the TA05-R.

As far as I can tell the only TA05-compatible chassis and drivetrain parts on it are the diffs and the new aluminium front and rear bulkheads. The whole weight distribution, and belt arrangement is new, and the LW suspension is just that, the same suspension all the top Tamiya cars run.

This car is a totally different beast and should be treated as such. Let's see what it does on the track before making rash comments about it's merits.

Wouldn't it be funny if your beloved TRF415 got spanked by an MS and you had to eat your words!

Xanavi_R34 07-13-2007 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by flying G.E.O. (Post 3481052)
Wow sashiboy wants to buy an msx. Ready to take racing seriouslyspend for 4 sets of sub c every 5 months? :p
415 all the way. Its the kit of choice of tamiya worlds runner up Takaya Youichiro and you know how good he is here. ;) Banzai!

not really... it's just that I cannot join stock touring anymore in TAC next year... so I'm just getting ready for the war next year if ever... hehehe... and about the sub-c... it depends... I don't charge my batts at 6A higher just to get some punch from the batts... I only charge my batts at 3A - 4A only but I am competing with people who charges their batts at 5A - 6A... No offense to those who charges their batts at a high rate, for me, I just don't see any difference, you're just killing the batts quickly... Anyway, about the kit, well I think I already made a choice here, msxx is my choice...:nod: Oh and btw, I also just want to have one of the high end kits of TRF...:D

buboy28 07-13-2007 06:56 PM

well from my point of view, never under estimate an enemy or a competitor:) the MS might be badged as a TA-05 but a lot of its parts are common with the 415:) lets just see what it can do when its finally run by the racers themselves:)

MrJames 07-13-2007 10:52 PM

try building both...it's night and day difference. i would compare the ta05ms to the evo 4....but even the evo 4 has better parts. :D

rctouringracer 07-13-2007 11:45 PM

MrJames are you saying the parts in the MS kit of are lower quality compared to the TRF and TB kits?:confused: Why?:(

rampal 07-14-2007 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by MrJames (Post 3483553)
try building both...it's night and day difference. i would compare the ta05ms to the evo 4....but even the evo 4 has better parts. :D

I have to disagree here... which parts do you say are worst quality on the 05MS?? :confused: :confused: I have the MSXX and the 05MS and all suspension is exactly the same, dampers, steering... the only things that really change are upper and lower deck, bulkheads (and I like them a lot) and motor mount.... :weird: if you're complaining for the plastic servo holders and upper bumper holder, you can buy the aluminum servo holders for 2.50 euros and the carbon bumper for 6 euros or so... plastic battery parts I didn't even opened them, as I use 5 cell and tape...

MrJames 07-14-2007 01:17 AM

for example the bumper supports are all plastic while the evo4 or 5 is carbon fiber. the servo mounts are plastic which can easily be replaced with aluminum ones. the diff and spools have cheaper materials. the center diff is a bit different. all of these components can be upgraded, which i think tamiya wants them to be. i really like the aluminum bulkheads and motor mount. the chassis is top notch. i'd say you get what you pay for on the ta05ms and it's a very good chassis from what i see. i would say upgrade the screws and you have a very serious contender out there. i'm sure it can put a few evo and 415 owners to shame. i'm not a big racer myself because i build them, run them a few times and put them on the shelf because i got other chassis' to mess around with.

MrJames 07-14-2007 01:32 AM

however my ta05ms will be using square racing parts soon...so nothing to worry about :D here's a pic of my evo 4, trf414m2, ta05R 3 racing ssg conversion, trf415msx mre. :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9/e8978aa2.jpg

rampal 07-14-2007 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by MrJames (Post 3483719)
for example the bumper supports are all plastic while the evo4 or 5 is carbon fiber. the servo mounts are plastic which can easily be replaced with aluminum ones. the diff and spools have cheaper materials. the center diff is a bit different. all of these components can be upgraded, which i think tamiya wants them to be. i really like the aluminum bulkheads and motor mount. the chassis is top notch. i'd say you get what you pay for on the ta05ms and it's a very good chassis from what i see. i would say upgrade the screws and you have a very serious contender out there. i'm sure it can put a few evo and 415 owners to shame. i'm not a big racer myself because i build them, run them a few times and put them on the shelf because i got other chassis' to mess around with.

ahh... so basically are the pastic servo and bumper holders ... :lol::lol: don't know about the diffs, I have really to compare MSXX and MS side to side... they seem equal to me, but need to check. About one-way, perhaps you're right :p
the spur gear holder seems very solid to me I like it so far... and I like the stabiliser holders a lot, much more than the MSXX ones (actually I've changed the MSXX ones by cyclone ones)

by the way, I run champ aluminum/titanium screws on all my kits!!! :sneaky:
but don't worry, I will test the car with 5cell brushless 3.5r very soon... I have everything ready to be bolted on the chassis, as soon as I finished prepping the chassis.

will do a report on that soon, the only problem is that here in Madrid we're expecting 40 degrees celcius at the shadow this weekend, so don't know if I will be capable of getting out the house to go racing.... :sweat::sweat::sweat::flaming::flaming::flaming:

Xanavi_R34 07-14-2007 05:22 AM

cant wait for it sir...:nod::D

hemi426 07-14-2007 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MrJames (Post 3483719)
the diff and spools have cheaper materials. the center diff is a bit different.

I just finished mine and I don't see a difference in the materials used in the diff and the one way compared to my MSX (don't know what the MSXX has to offer). Does anyone know if the Tamiya part 53875 (aluminium servo stay) will fit on the MS?

I think the TA05MS is a pretty complete kit (besides carbon bumper support and aluminium servo mount). You have aluminium uprights and turnbuckles from the start. My Evo IV came with steel turnbuckles and plastic uprights. I will be getting a screw kit from Champ as well (seems that aluminium & titanium is currently out of stock).

Xanavi_R34 07-14-2007 07:49 AM

It seems that both trf415 msxx and 05 ms has their own performance... both kit are very competitive... I think it will now depend on the driver...:nod:

oversquared 07-14-2007 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Xanavi_R34 (Post 3484209)
It seems that both trf415 msxx and 05 ms has their own performance... both kit are very competitive... I think it will now depend on the driver...:nod:

both are great cars just get one and set it up right and you are good to go. by the way if you need to compete at a higher level please charge at the range of 5-6amps. :lol: no matter how good you drive. you will not survie the WAR

Xanavi_R34 07-14-2007 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by oversquared (Post 3484311)
both are great cars just get one and set it up right and you are good to go. by the way if you need to compete at a higher level please charge at the range of 5-6amps. :lol: no matter how good you drive. you will not survie the WAR

yup... I will... but for now, I'm just waiting for any of the kit to come here in our country... hopefully by this month...

Thanks for the tip about AMP rate, I think I will stick with my 3A-4A only for winning isn't my goal but FUN!;):D:nod:

JayL 07-14-2007 10:21 AM

the ta05ms MAY be the future, but the msxx is at the current top, 2007 reedy....
It usually takes a few tries to get the cars 'perfect' look at all the 415 versions

RC MARKET 07-14-2007 11:31 AM

MSXX la !