R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As much as you can without being below the weight limit. Better ways to gain .1 sec in lap times would be practice and changing your car setup.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You can reduce the rotational mass but at the expense of durability. In full scale, it is commonly said that for every 1 lb of rotational mass (unsprung mass) reduced is like 10 lbs of static mass (sprung mass) reduced in the rest of the car.
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Way back in the day, with pan cars on oval, I would build the car very light, then add weight to get to the min at tracks that would weigh the cars during tech inspection. I'd remove the weight for tracks that didn't tech, and it was way faster without all the weight.

On those light cars, and on the smallish tracks I was running on, I'd guess that 2 ounces would be an easy tenth. Might have been closer to 1 ounce per tenth. My superlight stock motored car could run with the mod cars on the smaller tracks. With the weight added, the mod cars could run away. And the diffence wasn't as big on bigger tracks.

Of course, things are a bit different with a TC on a road course compared to a pan car on a oval. But that's my experience.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek Nickal View Post
"An object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion at constant velocity, unless acted upon by an unbalanced force."

Well the unbalanced force here is gravity, and a heavier car will be more affected by gravity. I'm no scientist but it seems like a lighter car would be better.
Heres something to chew on.

Right now, this very second. While you car sits on your table or in a box, or in the garage....whatever as long as it "isn't moving anywhere" in reality IS moving approximately 1000 miles per hour. So is my laptop. and so is your computer screen. LOL

Yeah, lighter is generally going to be better to the point where there is so little weight on each tire that there is no friction between the rubber and the racing surface. Then a lemans body would be awesome!
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, lighter is generally going to be better to the point where there is so little weight on each tire that there is no friction between the rubber and the racing surface.
Yeah, but then it would have so little inertia that it wouldn't take much friction to make it change direction.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Yeah, but then it would have so little inertia that it wouldn't take much friction to make it change direction.
You got me on that one! haha
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We ran a points series of Front Wheel Drive cars, with silver can motors a few years back. It was based on the BTCC and JTCC. The winners added weight, and the loosers removed weight. We all started with a minimum weight, then added 10 oz to first, 8 oz to 2nd, and so on, till 10th removed 10 oz. The amazing thing we found was that the cars would be faster with more weight to a certain point. The winners had over 3 lbs of lead attatched on the car to help equalize the field. One thing I will say is that a heavier car hitting a lighter car, the lighter car will loose. Even if the lighter car hit the heavier car, the lighter car just bounced away. I guess this confirms the term "throwing your weight around". We did this two times, and the results were the same both times. It still came down to the better drivers winning, and the less experienced drivers even without the weight penalty loosing.
dsrbltoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:51 AM   #23
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrbltoys View Post
.....and the less experienced drivers even without the weight penalty loosing.
This is the key point!! Nothing can beat experience

For most people level weight doens't make any difference, while on pro level it can but again the better prepared driver will win.

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote