R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was just going to bring up bracket racing. I used to do it myself and I'm still friendly with many people who do.

It works for drag racing because it's one person against another in single round elimination tournament rules. But all of the things SW Tour describes happens in drag racing. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys lock the brakes just before the finish line. There are all kinds fo tricks you can do.

Have you ever been to a drag race where they ran Super Gas or Super Comp? For those who don't know, Super Gas uses a 9.90 dial in and Super Comp uses an 8.90 dial in. Thanks to delay boxes and throttle stops the cars leave the line as hard as possible, nearly come to a full stop, then accelerate to cros the finish line in exactly 8.90 seconds. Try explaining all that to a newbie.

Breakout racing just won't work for R/C.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
Tech Adept

We've been trying to come up with a way to do this for onroad for the last couple of years.

Locally, at a couple of tracks, we've been running an oval class that we call Sportsman. We set a minimum lap time and any lap faster than that minimum doesn't count. It takes equipment out of the equation. I've run this and been extremely competitive using an old 10L3O, a Novak Hammer Pro speed control, an old beat up 3300 6-cell pack (yep, 6-cells) from my old TC, a 19 turn motor turned down to 0 degrees timing and an HPI 1965 Shelby Mustang body. Throttle is turned down to about 60% on the radio. It's the most fun I've had racing in all of my 17+ years. Most races end with all drivers on the same lap, and many have seen the top 2, 3 or 4 racers within one second of each other.

But.... I'm an onroad racer at heart. Turning consistent (slower) lap times on oval is a fairly easy to accomplish at most skill levels. Trying to do that on the more challenging road course is a bit of a challenge. But, I'd love to see someone try it and give us all some feedback.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

whats gonna save on road racing is when people stop telling everyone its dying.
hows this sound, he mister how much for that car, oh it'll cost ya around 800.00 to put it together, but you better hurry, on road racing is dying. yep that will help build the class.

what about the guys that are always on here talking about all the experts in stock and the newbie doesn't have a chance, yep, if i was just starting out, it wouldn't be in on road with talk like that.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #19
Tech Legend

Tooo Bad ....
Racing only stock is`nt working is it ?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
whats gonna save on road racing is when people stop telling everyone its dying.
hows this sound, he mister how much for that car, oh it'll cost ya around 800.00 to put it together, but you better hurry, on road racing is dying. yep that will help build the class.

what about the guys that are always on here talking about all the experts in stock and the newbie doesn't have a chance, yep, if i was just starting out, it wouldn't be in on road with talk like that.
I have often thought that when a negative thread pops up maybe they should close it.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

BTW I don't think this is a negative thread. Like any thread negative comments will arise but this is more of a solution to promote growth and come up with a strict universal rule that can be used at all tracks.
I like the Idea to.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 07-13-2007 at 08:31 AM.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

i just think there should be more classes like the 18r

they run them at my local track, and rules are stock motors, after that u can put a rpm bumper on it, a transponder, and a ib 1400 batt and some new front srpings

thats the most upgraded 18r at my track, grate wat to get into racing, and cheap... best part is how even it is, down the stright, there EVEN 100% its CRAZY

just my 0.2
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

can you guys explain how breakout racing works? whats the reasoning behind it? thanks
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam View Post
can you guys explain how breakout racing works? whats the reasoning behind it? thanks
Its explained a couple times in this thread.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Close forums stop people writting bullshit just go to your local club race and have a good time. It angers me to read proberly 90% that is utter rubbish think back no forums no bad feelings simple to many people writting crap about stuff they dont really know about take a look at some people how offten they post get a life and go help one of these tracks that have a poor show put your effort into the clubs not the forums.
i.a.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There were a lot of tracks in Florida (and still are) that breakout racing saved weekly racing. The Whip was one of them. On any given Saturday there were about 5 racing classes, 3 were breakout. Racers found a place to race where they could run with the group they were with, and had fun. Once you get to that point, RC becomes fun again and not work. Sure the top racers and more competitive ones with work to run the open classes, but those classes are not for everyone. This is evident in the car counts now at most tracks. We got to get RC racing fun and meaningful in all classes again. And the breakout winner gets the same award and recognition they deserve. My thoughts.
RCTVLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

so isnt it just an extended practice session? where is the racing involve?

what is the point of running a certain amount of laps? sounds real lame
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
It IS something that CAN work in a ROOKIE and/or NOVICE type class - and should be part of what makes the decision to move a driver into a NON NOVICE based class.
The best I've seen this work is sportsman class (our track and Orbital's track as well). The whole point is novices get their own class to beat and bang around the track and have fun. Probably half our attendance is brand new to racing in the last 6-8 months. At the middle level, and in oval, it doesn't work as well because people get clever about it, but at the novice level I think it's great and car counts bear that out.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam View Post
so isnt it just an extended practice session? where is the racing involve?

what is the point of running a certain amount of laps? sounds real lame
The point is that breakout sets a maximun amount of laps. It gives the average Joe racer an opportunity to compete on a semi level playing field and feel like that have an actual shot at winning. The racing is usually close and most importantly a breakout class provides hope. Whether your very competitve or not, everyone likes the idea of being able to win once in a while and it has worked in full size drag racing for years.
RCTVLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.a.s View Post
Close forums stop people writting bullshit just go to your local club race and have a good time. It angers me to read proberly 90% that is utter rubbish think back no forums no bad feelings simple to many people writting crap about stuff they dont really know about take a look at some people how offten they post get a life and go help one of these tracks that have a poor show put your effort into the clubs not the forums.
This guy is so upset he forgot to use proper grammer!! LMAO!!!! Forget about rc for a minute and look at the failing educational system!!
BananaWheels is offline   Reply With Quote