Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKSIDE View Post
Let me know how that works for you.

-E
My guess is they will laugh at me first. Then after I give them the "well, I'm the paying customer, so I'm always right" line, they will either politely tell me I'm wrong, or tell me I'm ignorant and ask me to leave.

SoCalMitch....if every racer had your mentality, you'd be racing in your driveway with your RP30's because every track has closed.
BBSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not trying to be harsh, trying to be humorous...

"What is right" isn't necessarily just what's best for you... that's called "what is selfish".

If you consider others too, you might conclude it's better to buy something made locally and pay a little more. After all, many of those folks built the industry and the tracks.

Real example: when you buy overseas product then your local company goes out of business and you have to find a cheap job with no benefits - happens all the time around here.

If your local business also supports tracks, and you lose your local track ... well for me that turns an hour round trip, 40 miles and $6.00 in gas... into a trip to the next closest track... that's a 6 hour round trip, 414 miles and $55.78 in gas. Would add almost $2,000 a year to my gasoline bill alone, not to mention deprec, repairs etc... then I might quit, there goes another racer....

I have a choice where to spend my cash. I like to support the people and companies of my choice, and the +/-10% to me just doesn't matter that much because people are more important than money. If I have to, I'll just buy less and make do.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopemike View Post
Not trying to be harsh, trying to be humorous...

"What is right" isn't necessarily just what's best for you... that's called "what is selfish".

If you consider others too, you might conclude it's better to buy something made locally and pay a little more. After all, many of those folks built the industry and the tracks.

Real example: when you buy overseas product then your local company goes out of business and you have to find a cheap job with no benefits - happens all the time around here.

If your local business also supports tracks, and you lose your local track ... well for me that turns an hour round trip, 40 miles and $6.00 in gas... into a trip to the next closest track... that's a 6 hour round trip, 414 miles and $55.78 in gas. Would add almost $2,000 a year to my gasoline bill alone, not to mention deprec, repairs etc... then I might quit, there goes another racer....

I have a choice where to spend my cash. I like to support the people and companies of my choice, and the +/-10% to me just doesn't matter that much because people are more important than money. If I have to, I'll just buy less and make do.
Great example on the gas. People will buy 25 sets of tires from Hong Kong - just to save about $10 a set. For me, rubber tires on carpet are lasting me a good 4-6 weeks, on asphalt it might be closer to 2-4 weeks of racing.

I would rather pay my extra $10 to my LHS than import them in - why - b/c i want a place where i can race and buy my parts from. I also live 50 miles from my local track - it costs me $10 in gas everytime i go - but i still have a place to race!

Mitch, have fun driving and spending a boat load in gas getting to your non-local track......

Oh yeah - check out what the MSRP is on the kit your run - and then see if you paid list price. These tires JUST came out - so once the distribution is there - the street price should be around what all the other tires are selling for....$30-35
Old 07-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #49
Tech Regular

That whole track distance thing is lost on me, when one track closed the next one opened up 5 minutes away from my house. So by me not supporting a bad business I save money on parts and travel. It's a win win situation.

SoCal was 25 miles away, new track 5 miles away.

I wish I could run a tire for 2-4 weeks try 2-4 runs, running Modified on asphalt eats tires real quick.
SoCalMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #50
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMitch View Post
That whole track distance thing is lost on me, when one track closed the next one opened up 5 minutes away from my house. So by me not supporting a bad business I save money on parts and travel. It's a win win situation.
Ignorance is bliss......
Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo View Post
Great example on the gas. People will buy 25 sets of tires from Hong Kong - just to save about $10 a set. For me, rubber tires on carpet are lasting me a good 4-6 weeks, on asphalt it might be closer to 2-4 weeks of racing.
When you dont go fast enough to get the tires hot they must last longer or something. Seriously though, where in the world do you get 4 weeks of racing on asphalt on one set of tires. Casue it would probably be cheaper to move there than to continue racing here.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
When you dont go fast enough to get the tires hot they must last longer or something. Seriously though, where in the world do you get 4 weeks of racing on asphalt on one set of tires. Casue it would probably be cheaper to move there than to continue racing here.
I might have overstated that - i have only raced a few times on asphalt - and i have reused "old" tires and been fine - so it would be closer to 2 weeks.....
Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #53
Tech Regular

Lets do the math on 4 weeks of racing,

4 Practice runs
3 Qualifiers
1 Main
8 total runs per race day

I race six times a month so that 48 runs on a set of tires! Wow I think I would be riding on the insert by the end the month.
SoCalMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #54
Tech Regular

2-4 weeks on a set of RP30s? what you using for traction compound super super duper paragon?

If you can run RP30s, which are generally speaking 3 run tires, for 2 weeks you're either racing against yourself or you're just not racing at all. I know Mitch and I also know the guys he races against they are all factory team drivers and the competition is extremely fierce the TQ and Win last week went to Ryan Cavaleri and the names for the rest of that field are equally recognizable. He really does need all of those tires!!!!!!!!

While I appreciate that everyone has to make a buck, we also happen to race with the pro mod team drivers and we know that RP30s go out the door for $25 a set. Now if someone came to you and said I need 25 sets you would think you would give him a bulk purchase discount given that you want this guy buying his 25 sets from you every month.........but NO everyone has to be greedy and god forbid you discount for bulk frequent purchases.

Quick Plug for Raff Summer Slam (Mini Reedy Race) TC Asphalt, One day event.

Trophy Race 8/18/07 @ Bending Corners Asphalt track
- BIG TROPHIES Wanna see them? check out http://bcraceways.smugmug.com later tonight
- Sexy Trophy girls - wanna see them? check out http://bcraceways.smugmug.com
- Spec Tires - wanna see which ones? check out . . . . . . . .
- Fast track layout - wanna see? check out. . . . . . .
and more info being confirmed everyday!!!!

Current event sponsors: AE, JAF, Kyosho, The Graham, RETCA, Schumacher and more to come.

INVITATIONAL DRIVER LIST: Ryan Cavaleri is coming and you know if he's racing, HPI, Schumacher, Kyosho, X-Ray, Losi and the others will be adding their big guns also.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS, AS THIS AUGUST IS GOING TO BE REALLY HOTT AT BCR!

All you guys who wanna run pro mod with your 15-30 run RP30s welcome, if you can prove that your RP30s have more than 10 runs on them you are tech exempt

Last edited by GCracker; 07-12-2007 at 10:36 AM.
GCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #55
Tech Regular

GCracker you have a PM. I wanted to find out more about the track you are at.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #56
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMitch View Post

SoCal was 25 miles away, new track 5 miles away.

I wish I could run a tire for 2-4 weeks try 2-4 runs, running Modified on asphalt eats tires real quick.
I assume you're just being sarcastic. Otherwise your comments don't make sense ... unless you have no idea how the rest of the country does R/C.

You may have no idea how blessed you are. The nearest track other than our local track is over 200 miles away. We got 64 entries for our states race and that was in a state with less than 2 million people... it was partly because it's the only track around, although 70% of the entries are within about 1/2 hour drive. And it takes a great deal of work and money to set up a track, so if you lose one it's harder to start another than keep the one you have. You really have it good if you have a track 5 minutes from home. There are only a few dozen tracks in the whole country that I'm aware of... I bet some people on here can probably name almost all of them. Some people drive 2 hours to 5 hours, minimum, every weekend for the privelege. I'd say 90% of us don't have that luxury of losing 1 local track and gaining another. You shouldn't base your thought process on that - it's just not typical.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #57
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboogie View Post
GCracker you have a PM. I wanted to find out more about the track you are at.
YGPM x 2
Old 07-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #58
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopemike View Post
I assume you're just being sarcastic. Otherwise your comments don't make sense ... unless you have no idea how the rest of the country does R/C.

You may have no idea how blessed you are. The nearest track other than our local track is over 200 miles away. We got 64 entries for our states race and that was in a state with less than 2 million people... it was partly because it's the only track around, although 70% of the entries are within about 1/2 hour drive. And it takes a great deal of work and money to set up a track, so if you lose one it's harder to start another than keep the one you have. You really have it good if you have a track 5 minutes from home. There are only a few dozen tracks in the whole country that I'm aware of... I bet some people on here can probably name almost all of them. Some people drive 2 hours to 5 hours, minimum, every weekend for the privelege. I'd say 90% of us don't have that luxury of losing 1 local track and gaining another. You shouldn't base your thought process on that - it's just not typical.
Ya they are spoiled here there are always tracks within 20-30 mins from home here in SoCal depending on where you live
Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #59
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Only one track that is close to running 3 to 4 weeks on rubber tires. Fredericks indoor asphalt I can at least run 3 weeks in stock with 6 runs a day without my laptimes suffering. Might get more especially if they keep spraying the track with traction compound. The more traction they let the track have the more my tires look like new and the longer they last. I'm lucky because it is one of the few asphalt tracks around that don't get fed tires everyrun.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #60
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Sounds like its the same for the guys at SIR. 20 run Rp30's....thats selling your soul to the Devil for ya!Sign me up!
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote