R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default Soldering battery packs, help on first time ...

Guys,

Being a nitro offroad guy never soldered batt packs myself.

Right now im starting to race M18 micro onroad STOCK (6v 5 cells) and i want to buy loose cells and mount them as a pack myself.

Can you post here the "how to" for soldering this little 2/3a packs, and wich good brands of materials/wires/tabs do i have to buy ?

thanks guys,

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You want to solder the cells side-by-side? There are special battery bars for 2/3A cells available. For the small cells I use a 60 Watt soldering iron (cheap one) with a pretty large tip. I sand the top and bottom of the cells with fine sandpaper and clean them with alcohol or cleaning solvent. Then I put a little bit of solder on top and bottom of every cell and also on the battery bars. I improvised a soldering rack to keep the cells in place. Soldering together cells and bars should be easy and take no longer than 2 or 3 seconds per connection, otherwise you might damage your cells.

Oh yes, I use a tin-solder called Sn60Pc38Cu2, connectors are 2mm gold type.

Here's my result (I know the pack is dirty ):
hemi426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi426 View Post
You want to solder the cells side-by-side? There are special battery bars for 2/3A cells available. For the small cells I use a 60 Watt soldering iron (cheap one) with a pretty large tip. I sand the top and bottom of the cells with fine sandpaper and clean them with alcohol or cleaning solvent. Then I put a little bit of solder on top and bottom of every cell and also on the battery bars. I improvised a soldering rack to keep the cells in place. Soldering together cells and bars should be easy and take no longer than 2 or 3 seconds per connection, otherwise you might damage your cells.

Oh yes, I use a tin-solder called Sn60Pc38Cu2, connectors are 2mm gold type.

Here's my result (I know the pack is dirty ):

Thanks a lot, that gold tube its for attaching on it the BULLET type male connectors right ?, you put the females tubes on positive and negative sides on the batt ?

thanks,

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have female connectors on both poles of my battery, even if it's a bit risky to mix up polarity (never happened to me so far). I have 4mm female plugs on my 1/10th scale packs as well. But I know some guys that use female and male plugs on their packs just to make sure no to mix up plus and minus.

Anyway, 2mm gold connectors are great for 1/18 scale.
hemi426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I agree with hemi until he "tinned" the batt's. I sand em, cleam em and then either put them in the freezer so they are nice and cold, or spray the ends with an upside down can of compressed air so the temp of the batt's is nice and low. I wipe off any residue from the spray...tin your battery bars but leave the battery's themselves alone..less likely to cause heat damage....put a small drop of flux on the battery just before you put the bar on, put the iron to it and there you go....you definately need some type of jig though...I use the Deans, but there are others out there....good luck...you might want to buy some cheapo's to practice on first...no sense in blowing money on a good pack that you cooked with your iron
rcarmchl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to sloshedmr_bones Send a message via Yahoo to sloshedmr_bones

do you have to drain the cells to .9a to solder them first cuz if they are charged couldn't they explode. Solder then then charger the pack when your done?
sloshedmr_bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloshedmr_bones View Post
do you have to drain the cells to .9a to solder them first cuz if they are charged couldn't they explode. Solder then then charger the pack when your done?
No. 99.9pc of cells are not sold in this condition.

I got some sub C IB4200WC loose cells and charged them at 6amps on their first charge with no problems AT ALL.

Just solder them up and charge them.

Its how you look after them AFTER their 1st charge that matters.

I use Team TEKIN's discharge tray to discharge my cells, then charge them as soon after I need them for my racing.

The most important thing is to keep the cells with some charge in them inbetween usage. It is the #1 MAIN thing to keep the cells in good shape.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote