R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2001, 09:32 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default What do you do with batteries with high IR?

I have a matched 3000 Sanyo pack, I guess the IR is way off the scale. It peaks at about 10 volts(!!!!) My other packs usually peak at around 9.4xx volts.

What can I do about this pack? The run time is horrible, around 2.5 minutes before it seemingly dumps on 23T stock. But if I run it in mod, 14x2 it does well for 5 mins, I don't know why.

Would it help my pack if I got it zapped?

INFO:This 3k pack (my 1st matched battery btw, so I guess it tells) is charged at 5A, and after runs discharged at 20A to 5.6v, and then placed on a tray till the lights go out (around 1/2 an hour?). Been in use for about 3 months, I use it twice a week, wednesdays and saturdays, one charge per play-day.

Thanks for any advice!

Regards,
Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 11:18 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Try cycling them at a higher voltage to see if that helps, I would probably cycle them 3 times allowing ample cool down between cycles.....if that doesn't work then see about having them zapped or try dead shorting them. At the worst you can loose a pack that is already wasted..... You may also see if someone can run them on a matcher to see if you lost a cell...usually the first cell on the negative side of the pack is the one to get damaged.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 02:53 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ernestf
Default Re: What do you do with batteries with high IR?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
I have a matched 3000 Sanyo pack, I guess the IR is way off the scale. It peaks at about 10 volts(!!!!) My other packs usually peak at around 9.4xx volts.

What can I do about this pack? The run time is horrible, around 2.5 minutes before it seemingly dumps on 23T stock. But if I run it in mod, 14x2 it does well for 5 mins, I don't know why.

Would it help my pack if I got it zapped?

INFO:This 3k pack (my 1st matched battery btw, so I guess it tells) is charged at 5A, and after runs discharged at 20A to 5.6v, and then placed on a tray till the lights go out (around 1/2 an hour?). Been in use for about 3 months, I use it twice a week, wednesdays and saturdays, one charge per play-day.

Thanks for any advice!

Regards,
Alvin
It could be something wrong on your 23T ? the run time seem a bit short on your 14x2, but still, it should not be that bad with 23T.
zapping batt will not save bad cell(s), it can only restore the chemical inside the cell so it work better.
personally, i wont dead-short 3000nimh cells. i guess there might be 1 or 2 bad cell in your pack, use a voltmeter to check out the bad one and make a 4-cell pack for yourself, better than nothing
ernestf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:39 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I also suggest having your pack rematched to weed out the bad cell or cells. As far as dead shorting goes most people would say no but if you go to a large oval track race you will see that most of the faster guys dead short their 3000's. They tell me that is works the same as dead shorting your NiCd's, increases voltage, reduces IR and lowers run time a little.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:58 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

how do you perform the dead shorting thing? thanks
okidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 08:51 AM   #6
Tech Master

Default Cycled

Hi all!
I cycled my packs 4 times, twice a day the past 2 days. Well suprisingly the numbers have improved tremendously, after the first 2 cycles they peaked at 9.7xx volts, and today's second cycle they peaked at 9.6xx volts. Runtime seems to have improved greatly, but the punch is not as good as before. Oh well can't ask for more

Thanks a bunch dudes!
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote