Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo-how do you know when.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
Got a multimeter? If so, put the negative lead in the neg. port and positive lead in the balance port and check voltage. Then the positive lead in the pos. port and the negative lead in the balance port. Compare the numbers. You don't have to worry unless it is .02V or more difference. I use the Orion balancer. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNNA5&P=7
found this in the orion avionics site and this shows the different adapter cables that come with the balancer. its seems obvious (but then what do i know ) that those connectors will not slot through the small port in the underside of the orion platinum packs. is there an adapter than needs to be made or is there one that we can readily purchase?

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ce...lancing+System

Last edited by ROBORAT; 07-09-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Sime,

I have a Supernova, and have charged my 4800 Orion with great success. Id say the differences in the voltage readings are as someone else mentioned, just calibration differences. Because I only have one battery, I put it on charge as soon as i get to the track, leave the batt on charge until the next race, use it, then chuck it straight back on charge (4.8Amps) after the race and head out to marshall. It may never get "full" but that really doesnt matter a great deal. The last 15 min or so of charge time it is really just trickling...

One suggestion, get an esc with a lipo voltage cutoff, having said that I ran for 23 min in an enduro (T2, 4800, GTB, 13.5BL), before my battery sensor started bleeping (nomadio sensor radio) so as long as you dont too long, you wont get anywhere near being in the danger zone or over discharging.

After race day, I leave whatever charge is in the pack. That way it is usually at least 50% charged all the time...

The orions are great packs

Pete
Old 07-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ROBORAT
found this in the orion avionics site and this shows the different adapter cables that come with the balancer. its seems obvious (but then what do i know ) that those connectors will not slot through the small port in the underside of the orion platinum packs. is there an adapter than needs to be made or is there one that we can readily purchase?

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ce...lancing+System
Yeah you have to alter the 2S connector that comes with it. Eventually someone will release a pre-made one. I've attached a decent pic of mine. Along with 2 standard connectors, you need a 2mm one for the balance port.
Attached Thumbnails Lipo-how do you know when.....-balancer.jpg  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PeteB
Hi Sime,

I have a Supernova, and have charged my 4800 Orion with great success. Id say the differences in the voltage readings are as someone else mentioned, just calibration differences. Because I only have one battery, I put it on charge as soon as i get to the track, leave the batt on charge until the next race, use it, then chuck it straight back on charge (4.8Amps) after the race and head out to marshall. It may never get "full" but that really doesnt matter a great deal. The last 15 min or so of charge time it is really just trickling...

One suggestion, get an esc with a lipo voltage cutoff, having said that I ran for 23 min in an enduro (T2, 4800, GTB, 13.5BL), before my battery sensor started bleeping (nomadio sensor radio) so as long as you dont too long, you wont get anywhere near being in the danger zone or over discharging.

After race day, I leave whatever charge is in the pack. That way it is usually at least 50% charged all the time...

The orions are great packs

Pete

Thanks for that Pete. Tomorrow at the race meet, I will have one race with it, then put it back on charge to see how much mah a 5min race with a silvercan uses and then I will charge prolly every second or 3rd race.
The main car I will use it on has a Nosram Evil Brushless ESC with a voltage cutoff so thats all good. If I want to use my other cars in a longer than 5 min race, Ill swap ESC's or just buy another one

Also, with the Supernova, it dosnt give you a cell number option like it does with NIMH batteries, so if I want to balance the Lipo one cell at a tine using the balance port, I cant select "1 cell" on the charger. Will this be an issue in the future?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yeah you have to alter the 2S connector that comes with it. Eventually someone will release a pre-made one. I've attached a decent pic of mine. Along with 2 standard connectors, you need a 2mm one for the balance port.
Got a Scorpion?

http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?...124&section=32
Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

This should work

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRWF8&P=V... of course that's assuming you don't have a balancer already.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah you COULD use one of those but that's cheating.

Where were those when I broke down and bought one????

Edit: I'm really liking the Trakpower one after reading up. I think I may pick that one up too.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Do you have a Scorpion? I was just checking out the specs and I noticed the dial in the center. Is that to set charge rate? If so, how easy does it spin? Before my Ice I used to use the Integy 16x and the dial was way to easy to accidentally nudge to a different setting. I was almost ready to glue it before I decided to replace it. I was never comfortable with it.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Do you have a Scorpion? I was just checking out the specs and I noticed the dial in the center. Is that to set charge rate? If so, how easy does it spin? Before my Ice I used to use the Integy 16x and the dial was way to easy to accidentally nudge to a different setting. I was almost ready to glue it before I decided to replace it. I was never comfortable with it.
I don't have one, I just noticed it when I was checking out the site. John Stranahan mentioned that the best cells he ever used were the Kokam "Scorpion" cells, which didn't have the safe chemistry the current cells have. Apparently they had the best possible combination of voltage and cycle life that he's observed, but aren't available anymore. I was checking out the cells they're offing now to figure out if they're the same low-voltage kind like in the Orion packs, or something new entirely.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sime
Thanks for that Pete. Tomorrow at the race meet, I will have one race with it, then put it back on charge to see how much mah a 5min race with a silvercan uses and then I will charge prolly every second or 3rd race.
The main car I will use it on has a Nosram Evil Brushless ESC with a voltage cutoff so thats all good. If I want to use my other cars in a longer than 5 min race, Ill swap ESC's or just buy another one

Also, with the Supernova, it dosnt give you a cell number option like it does with NIMH batteries, so if I want to balance the Lipo one cell at a tine using the balance port, I cant select "1 cell" on the charger. Will this be an issue in the future?
a silvercan will use maybe 1000-1500mah during a 5 min race... no issues there
you wont need to swap escs over, just dont run it for more than 15 min or so, (if using a silvercan, maybe upto 20min)
Either way AS SOON as you notice a drop in topend or punch, thats it, time to pull over.

The Supernova is an awesome machine and when you set it to charge one cell, it will automatically change the cccv settings so that it charges it upto 3.7v, not pumping it to 8.4v.

you need select a different battery profile(so you dont stuff up your current profile) and then change it to lipo, then select the number of cells (1-4).

I'll be at EPIC on Tuesday night, I'll show you...
Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just a FYI... the LiPo update for the GFX should be out very soon. We have been Field testing the update for a few months to check for any possible issues and everything looks good for release.

Last edited by ottoman; 07-09-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PeteB
a silvercan will use maybe 1000-1500mah during a 5 min race... no issues there
you wont need to swap escs over, just dont run it for more than 15 min or so, (if using a silvercan, maybe upto 20min)
Either way AS SOON as you notice a drop in topend or punch, thats it, time to pull over.

The Supernova is an awesome machine and when you set it to charge one cell, it will automatically change the cccv settings so that it charges it upto 3.7v, not pumping it to 8.4v.

you need select a different battery profile(so you dont stuff up your current profile) and then change it to lipo, then select the number of cells (1-4).

I'll be at EPIC on Tuesday night, I'll show you...
Excellent, see you then!!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
Sime, to see the full capacity put back in the by the charger you need to discharge the lipo completely. To do that, you need to discharge it at 4.8A, and cutoff the discharge at about 3.5V. It'll probably cost you some cycle life, though.
You should'nt discharge lipo's ever.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phroz
You should'nt discharge lipo's ever.
That simply doesn't make any sense. By that practice we shouldn't run them in our cars or airplanes or transmitters.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

He means "fully" discharge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.