R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Experiences with the Futaba 3pk (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/17133-experiences-futaba-3pk.html)

Carbon_Fibre3 04-27-2003 01:10 AM

Experiences with the Futaba 3pk

hello people, i know ther is a 3pk thread already, but i have a couple of questions that a bit differnt as to what's being talked about in there.

1) Do you think that this radio is good for all experience levels?
2) Does it feel heavy in the hand?
3) and finally, any major issues? or pet hates with it?

thanks

Rob #5

Chris@WeaponR 04-27-2003 01:35 AM

Re: Experiences with the Futaba 3pk

its not needed for beginners...

depends what radio you have been running if you always used a futaba then its fine if not then it may feel a little top heavy

no major issues

davioh 04-27-2003 02:55 AM

i moderate r/c person i would think an MX3 is fine...

Cole Trickle 04-27-2003 04:36 AM

Re: Experiences with the Futaba 3pk

Originally posted by Carbon_Fibre3

1) It's overkill for beginners. The 3PK got overhelming features for many people. Even a 3PDF can more than several guys at our club uses. If we're talking response speed, start with a fast steering servo. That will do for years, for most people.

2) I'm used to KO Propo EX-11 Presto, and compared to that, the 3PK feels really nice.

3) Havent heard/read of any.

As Davioh says, MX3, 3PDF, EX-11 are fine for many people.

evaa 04-27-2003 06:37 AM

got my pk as a gift from my wife last xmas, b4 that i used a futaba 3pck am radio, the first thing i noticed bout the pk is the response, i use an hrs recvr, a 9550 digital servo and quntum competition on my 414M. I set up my car in such a way that it tends to oversteer (basic setup for 414M) and I tell u the car can dance under any and all surfaces, however, in technical tracks I reduce the steering exponential to -20 in order to decrease the speed at whcih the radio responds to my commands.

Over-all i love the pk the price may be a bit stiff, my wife got it for P15,000.00 without the servo but its worth every cent.

No problems with the pk so far, except that it munches on my 1500 maH batteries, i suggest you bring at least two (2) sets of batts for every race as i tried bringing just one set and the low batt warning nearly caught up with me.

by the way, for such an expensiv radio, try to buy a bag for it and also a chain in order to tie it to your table or better yet, have some1 watch over the radio when you leave your table coz i get a lot of bad stares at my radio everytime I'm on track

Baluga 04-27-2003 07:23 AM

Evaa,

I'm about to buy my 1st radio. My choices are 3PK & Mars R. Do you have any problem with your 3PK LCD display? There seems to be some discussion with the 3PK's LCD here in the forum. Did u bought the radio from Lils? Do they offer any product warranty? I can't believe a product this expensive doesn't have any warranty.

evaa 04-27-2003 07:29 AM

nope, havent had any problems with the radio. as regards the warranty issue, youre right it seems hard to believe that a radio so expensive does not offer any warranty. actually i got my pk from action hobbies in greenhills. u interested in buyin a fully hopped up hpi rs4 pro 3? m selling it for a measly 5k.

Baluga 04-27-2003 07:39 AM

Evaa,

About your HPI offer, I only have enough money to buy a radio. :)
I wouldn't be worried no having any warranty if Lil's can fix any problems with the radio. Btw, w/c track do you get the bad stares? :) I decided to go for a Mars R so wish me luck...

Pembalap 04-27-2003 07:40 AM

Originally posted by Baluga
Evaa,

I'm about to buy my 1st radio. My choices are 3PK & Mars R. Do you have any problem with your 3PK LCD display? There seems to be some discussion with the 3PK's LCD here in the forum. Did u bought the radio from Lils? Do they offer any product warranty? I can't believe a product this expensive doesn't have any warranty.

I don't know about other people, but my 3pk sometime has a problem with the display. The problem is the display does not turns on when you switch on the radio, even though it still transmit signal. What I did is only turning the switch off, and then turn it on again.

Other than that, it is a superb radio...

Andreas

evaa 04-27-2003 07:45 AM

baluga,

ok, i get stares from some guys at fiesta, the guys who stare are the ones merely watching and not the racers. gud luck with your new radio.

Baluga 04-27-2003 07:54 AM

Evaa,

How many drivers have u seen already have a 3PK?

punkboy 04-27-2003 07:54 AM

its sweet...everything is right there, but it kills the nicad batts it comes with.

evaa 04-27-2003 08:00 AM

baluga,

at leaset ten, but i heard that more have it.

Baluga 04-27-2003 08:05 AM

Evaa,

Did you install a capacitor for your quantum competition?

evaa 04-27-2003 08:11 AM

nope.