R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-27-2003, 12:30 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Default Re: Experiences with the Futaba 3pk

Quote:
1) Do you think that this radio is good for all experience levels?
I think it's OK, but a beginner really doesn't need all this. There is really nothing on this radio that I really use that my 3PDF doesn't have. I consider the 3PK as something you buy when you have nothing else to spend your money on.
Quote:
2) Does it feel heavy in the hand?
Absolutely. It is a darn heavy piece, about 200g heavier than my PDF, so it may not be the best for small kids and long mains
Quote:
3) and finally, any major issues? or pet hates with it?
The timer buzzer is sort of quiet and hard to hear. Then again, it has also earphone plug, which might come in handy for nitro races.
It is also really ugly. But who cares, it's good and nothing else matters. I love it. I have 1700mAh NiMHs in it and can get at least 6 hours out of them, so battery life is also good.
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Ugly? Man, I think it's beautiful. I'm almost sad that I've got my M8. . .it's much prettier than my M8.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:38 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to D_Ames

I agree, I think the radio is beautiful. I just don't think you NEED all the features.
D_Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:40 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
Ugly? Man, I think it's beautiful. I'm almost sad that I've got my M8. . .it's much prettier than my M8.
absolutely a work of art.., actually, the looks, is one of the reasons that i bought mine...

this radio would overwhelmingly confusing for the beginner...

all around radio..car, boat, electric, nitro, and even 1/5 scale nitro can benefit from this radio...
Old 04-27-2003, 12:42 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

For everyone who is saying the Futaba 3PK is overkill for beginners and all of the features are intimidating, I have some feedback to refute that.

The 3PK is one of the most well designed radios ever made, it is for both the beginner who is just getting into the hobby with a bone stock car and the professional driver racing at world championships. The features are not at all intimidating or *that* advanced, there are three levels of features. If you're a beginner and are intimidated by all the features, you can put the radio into level 1 mode which will only give you the basic features like steering trim and whatnot.

I also own an Airtronics M8, and up until now I thought the M8 was the best radio, but when I opened up my new 3PK and held it in my hand, it just put the M8 to shame. The M8 feels like a piece of junk compared to the 3PK.

As far as your second question goes, it is not very heavy at all, racing 1 hour 1/8 scale on road mains wouldn't be a problem . As far as a comparison goes, it's a little bit heavier than the Airtronics M8, but not by much at all. It comes with rubber grips and whatnot so it is very comfortable to hold for long periods of time.

The quality of the 3PK is second to none, it is a very solid radio, this is hard to come by with other radios on the market. The 3PK is perfect for any skill and experience level. If you're into R/C boats, it also has special features specifically for boats.

I must emphasize the fact that the 3PK will not confuse or intimidate a beginner! All you need to do is put it into level one mode and it is even more simple than your basic AM radio! Unlike the 3PK, it is very easy to navigate the menus and make quick adjustments. You do not have to look up everything in the manual to know what does what, it is one of the most easy to use radios on the market.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:23 PM   #21

I couldn't agree more that 3pk is far too advance for beginner, but look on other hand. If beginner really want to stay in RC world and not playing around in their backyard and quit. I suggest you put your money on 3pk because when you become better driver, you want better controller.
Aku-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:32 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My opinions. I normally raced with a M-8. But had an excellent trade-in with money deal for the 3pk. So I went for it. I also have a MX3 that I used more than my M8 once I got it. Anyways..

1. The radio has option menus for all levels. But I would only recommend this radio to a racer and not a backyard basher. If you are considering this radio, then obviously you have the money to spend on it. If you enjoy the hobby and plan on racing for a long time then Yes. If not... get a MX3.

2. Though the radio is heavy to some, it was a welcome when compared to my M8. It's lighter than the M8, but not really noticable. But the radio is more balanced and comfortable in my opinion.

3. I don't see any major issues except battery life for the stock Nicad pack that it comes with. I have never had a problem. But maybe thats because I always keep mine charged. Other than that, no hates except I can't play pacman or mario bros on it. That and it doesn't tell how fast my car is like a radar gun should!
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:12 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Just to make things clear, a friend of mine did some weighing on the M8, and the 3PK with the same kind of rechargeable battery installed.

By the feel of it, the 3PK feels heavier compare to the M8. However, guess what, the 3PK is almost 50 grams lighter that the M8......surprised???
Pembalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:43 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembalap
Just to make things clear, a friend of mine did some weighing on the M8, and the 3PK with the same kind of rechargeable battery installed.

By the feel of it, the 3PK feels heavier compare to the M8. However, guess what, the 3PK is almost 50 grams lighter that the M8......surprised???
oops....sorry...the weight difference is not really 50 grams.....

I weight both 3PK and the M8-III, and the result are as follows:

Without Battery:
3PK : 641 grams
M8 : 663 grams

With Battery:
3PK : 847 grams
M8 : 880 grams

I guess the battery tray of the M8 is slighly heaveier than the battery tray of the 3 PK.

Andreas
Old 04-27-2003, 09:46 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

My 3PK feels heaving than the M8, even though it really isn't. I'm thinking it's because the 3PK is top heavy.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:53 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
The features are not at all intimidating or *that* advanced, there are three levels of features. If you're a beginner and are intimidated by all the features, you can put the radio into level 1 mode which will only give you the basic features like steering trim and whatnot.
Hmmm. I get your point, but the 3PK I've seen impressed me a lot. Because I'm one of those, who like playing with things like the 3PK. I would love to try all the features and didnt get overhelmed at all. But the point is, that the guy who have it, didnt know all the stuff the radio could do for him. And he didnt choosed level one !

Of course, that's not a fault of the radio, but if the owner aint got the patience.... I think most of us knows the story of the beginner, that start out with a motor there's too fast for his/hers current skills...

Personally, I still believe that mid-range radios like MX3 and so on, will do more than most people ever use from a radio.

I think there are to ways of choosing a radio:

One way: Make your mind up on what you need - with the point of view: Will this feature make me faster?

However, there's a risk of you'll need something extra later. But then again, in 3 years, there will be something even better than the 3PK.....

The other way: Buy the best avaible for the moment. High trade off, and you'll probaly got plenty more than you need. Less risk of missing something later.

At my opinion, radios already have a lot of gizmos. The only thing I believe can make me faster, if I upgrade my KO Presto to a 3PK, is the high response system. And that'll probably be avaible for less money in a year or two.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:40 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

the 3PK is great for the rookies...my 5 year old thinks he has a "it's so cool dad" Star Wars weapon for use around the house

In all seriousness...a great radio with loads of functionality.... that can be overwelming if you get past level I in programming. That being said it is a HUGE improvment over the 3PJ as it relates to ease of use

my .02

JC
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:05 AM   #28
Tech Regular

thankyou everyone for your input, i think i will go with this radio as a choice as, even though i am a relative beginner (compared to most of you fellas (people)) i will be in this hobby for a long time, and after my experiences with buying beginner esc's and upgrading, i have learnt its best to buy the best that you can afford.

After listening to some comments, the differing levels that are selectable will also be of a great assistance.

thanks
Carbon_Fibre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:28 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon_Fibre3
thankyou everyone for your input, i think i will go with this radio as a choice as, even though i am a relative beginner (compared to most of you fellas (people)) i will be in this hobby for a long time, and after my experiences with buying beginner esc's and upgrading, i have learnt its best to buy the best that you can afford.

After listening to some comments, the differing levels that are selectable will also be of a great assistance.

thanks
I don't think you'll regret this. It is such a nice radio.

A.W
Old 04-28-2003, 11:10 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Radio Rocks. Like it better than my R1 and M8. Broke the antena but you can get a new one for $4.99 at tower hobbies. Had LCD problem when first purchased but fixed it with a drop of solder. Buy the version in that is for your reqion so you get a warranty.