R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default Question for the Lipo people

Ok we all know lipo is the future of rc.....

But does this mean that 12th scale falls to the way side? To my knowledge there is no lipo option for the resurgent class that is 12th scale. It has grown more and more over the past 2 indoor seasons. Will going all lipo kill this class, cause it will have racers running both NIHM and LIPO ... which seems to be something the hard core lipo guys dont like( owning more than 1 type of battery) .

So for the lipo people is there any word on lipo packs for 12th scale cars ?
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Tech Legend

By By 1/12 th !!

Redesign time....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
By By 1/12 th !!

Redesign time....
That was coldROTFLMAO. Now they see how us Li-Po people felt with all that 5 cell chatter...where would have Li-Po gone if that would have become an industry standard??

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Why is it the lipo guys are so bitter about everything ?

Dont you think this is something that should be talked about.

And please no touring car lipo vs. nihm postings .. there are enough threads littered with that debate.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It will take a few years to see if Lipo will/can evolve to 5v. I run and love 12th. As much as it makes me sick, I have to man up and buy some 42s for this season. The 12th scene, in my local experience, are some hardcore purists. I don't think the vast majority would change right now if they could. When lipos are welcome at big races, things may change.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

1) I know of one company that makes lipo saddle packs that might work for 1/12, but I wouldn't recommend using them because the company uses cheap cells and they don't enclose them in a protective hard case, which I think is very important for people running cf chassis cars on paragon soaked ozite.

2) Peak/Orion said they might come out with a saddle pack in the future, but there's not enough demand right now for them to make it a top priority.

My suggestion would be for the 1/12 guys to stalk the Peak/Orion company reps on rctech until they make a saddle pack for 1/12.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post

And please no touring car lipo vs. nihm postings .. there are enough threads littered with that debate.
Not bitter at all. But, one has to admit, when Li-Po was just getting its lift, 5 cell was making a splash and none of you sub c-ers gave a damn. Now that Li-Po has reigned supreme, you want sympathy? Boo-Hoo!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Lipo is the future ... def not reigning anything just yet. And dont be suprised if touring car goes to 5 cell/brushless for a year or so before it goes lipo.

Once again do any lipo guys have an answer for the 12th scale question i am asking? Is it possible for 2 small packs to be connected like nihm cells to work in a 12th scale safely ?

I would assume that roar might not goto allowing lipo until it can be used in every class. ( just an idea )
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

12th scales will likely adapt by running higher voltage and slower motors like the new 17.5 from novak or spec motors will be the new stock. stock the new 19t... so on

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
12th scales will likely adapt by running higher voltage and slower motors like the new 17.5 from novak or spec motors will be the new stock. stock the new 19t... so on
It may also be worth considering using a single cell at 3.7V, though that would affect the balance of the car in many existing designs without some work. It's likely, if LiPo is going to work with 1/12, we'd have to dramatically slow down the motors and use them with 7.4V saddle packs.

1/12th is a challenge, no question. Unfortunately, the onus is probably going to be on us, I seriously doubt anybody is going to produce a cell specifically for a niche part of a niche hobby. :-( I think A123 had made some progress with a 5V cell, but I seem to remember hearing the project was abandoned.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #11
Tech Master

Wall Street, if you didnt think Li-Po's are reigning, you wouldnt be in this thread panicking on how to power your 12th scale cars once sub c's fall by the wayside. Again, 5 cells was the rage and all applications reliant upon sub c's gave a shit less about how li-po was going to fare. Li-Po manufacturers will cater to you folks once the need presents itself, but dont hold your breath....it'll be a long time coming. I know that was harsh, but tis life.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #12
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post

Not bitter !

The time`s have change and so will the car`s along with the battery`s & motor`s too....

If you really love 1/12th , redesign and show the class can keep up with the tech available today....

or

Try to keep the old disposable battery`s and then for sure the 1/12th will go down the same road as the 1/10th pan car...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Some people may think that ..... But i am a big picture guy.... I am in no way scared about powering my 12th scale.... i am simply asking the lipo guys if they know of any type of lipo for 12th scale.

We didnt get to where we are today by reacting to things that happen.. if we did we would be in far worse shape than we already are. This is more of a planning for thr future.. as in a year or 2 from now.

panicing about anything rc is just funny

I do agree with cherry though.... we will probably just see some newly designed cars and motors for 12th scale..... didnt think about it at first but ... that is probably what will happen. Maybe the new Xray car will be lipo friendly.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Tech Master

You may be a "big picture" guy, but if you have been in r/c long enough, you should already know that supply and demand ways heavily into how they pour resources into development. If their is a segment they feel they can gain some profit, then it will be explored. But lets be frank, with all of the talk about run time and 1/10th scale pretty much being the norm, it's going to be a hard sell for the higher ups to bite into; to delve into li-pos for a relatively small segment of r/c. With tracks closing left and right, li-po guys are going to have to start slapping it down with nitro just to feed the competitive bug. To be honest, r/c in general is going to need a revamping in the coming years, so looking at the real BIG picture, everyone should be quaking in their boots.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's likely, if LiPo is going to work with 1/12, we'd have to dramatically slow down the motors and use them with 7.4V saddle packs.
Good idea. There's not enough demand from the offroad 4WD guys who use saddle packs and there's not enough demand for 1/12 saddle packs, but maybe if both classes used the same type of batteries and voltage, there might be enough demand for a company like Peak/Orion to warrant the r & d for one.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote