R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Rick , formaly being in the mix was there ever any talks about lipo for 12th scale and or oval?

what is your prospective on if there eventually will be lipo packs for these types of cars ?
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Most of the top 1/12 drivers use a receiver battery already. So going to 3.7V will not change anything for them other than potential speeds. I think 3.7V is the most viable option for 1/12 Lipo racing. Even with lower voltage, there is the potential for much greater capacity. So speed loss due to lower voltage will be offset by the ability to take advantage of more powerful motors.
Finally someone is making sense...
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
Rick , formaly being in the mix was there ever any talks about lipo for 12th scale and or oval?

what is your prospective on if there eventually will be lipo packs for these types of cars ?
There are limits in voltage as mentioned before, so one is stuck with what exists and there is no real way to change that.

My opinion is that the car manufacturers will eventually design their cars around available batteries and configurations. I doubt you will see saddle packs. Instead, car manufacturers who will want to remain competitive in the market will have to adapt their designs to work with stick pack style Lipos.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Maybe a stupid question but why not develop something along the lines of A123's voltage regulator that adjusts from 7.2-10.8V? Would something like that work to get the voltage down to acceptable levels? I've never used/heard of anyone using this, it's just something I remember they had out.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Maybe a stupid question but why not develop something along the lines of A123's voltage regulator that adjusts from 7.2-10.8V? Would something like that work to get the voltage down to acceptable levels? I've never used/heard of anyone using this, it's just something I remember they had out.
If you are talking about limiting the voltage/current used by the motor, having an adjustable one just means that there is something that people can cheat with... If you make a 'regulation' volt/amperage limiter, people will purchase dozens and weed out the top performers. Or you have to worry about cheater boxes that can be changed at the push of a button or flip of a switch that are housed in 'regulation' cases... The possibilities are endless.

I said it before, this will be a painful process depending on what technology actually becomes the future of the hobby. As of right now, I am happy that 12th made the resurgence that it did, I love my 12th.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
If you are talking about limiting the voltage/current used by the motor, having an adjustable one just means that there is something that people can cheat with... If you make a 'regulation' volt/amperage limiter, people will purchase dozens and weed out the top performers. Or you have to worry about cheater boxes that can be changed at the push of a button or flip of a switch that are housed in 'regulation' cases... The possibilities are endless.

I said it before, this will be a painful process depending on what technology actually becomes the future of the hobby. As of right now, I am happy that 12th made the resurgence that it did, I love my 12th.
I mean A123 has a regulator that connects between the battery and ESC. The one they have is adjustable but I'm sure something could be made to be a fixed voltage output. Whether or not it's a feasible solution I'm not sure. As for cheating, a simple multimeter can verify the battery voltage.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #37
Suspended

McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote