Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars? >

Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

palm city. near stuart where are you? middleburg?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tallyrc
Middleburg?
Middleburg is about 25 miles south of Jacksonville. We've had talk of starting pancars back up around here as we have a track that runs almost anything electric powered you can throw down every friday night, Oval is big in Fl and onroad in the Florida state series is huge too but even they only run pancars every now and then.

I've raced for many many moons and I too think it's time for a simpler type of onroad racing. 4 cells and brushed or brushless would be as fast as the fastest 6cell cars from back in the day. I have a couple old 10l's and an EV10 worlds edition that hasnt seen the track in uh 15 years?

Parts worry me though as it seems to be getting toughet to find OEM Associated front end parts(I race oval alot and we change out front end parts often)
Old 07-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Butts if anyone wants one over there I've still got the one in the box.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi,

I hope this takes off. I'm looking for a 10LT to run at our local track to try to get some people interested in 10th scale pan cars again. we ran one with a GTB/4300 on 4 cells last year a few times and it was a blast!!!!!!!

Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Frontend Ass. parts Butts- come on over......I don't think I've got wide diff axles however.And if you raced on Sundays I'd come over with a 13.5 car ready to race..........
Old 07-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

The US pan Car deal was a joke . The guy never left his college dorm room!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

there are enough knockoffs of the associated front end now you don't need assoc any more right? perhaps the shortage is from the transition they are continuing to undergo with TTR..

tim, the 10l3T will be difficult to run as it is quite rare.. that said i have a complete chassis set you can build one from... including the very rare right diff hub..
Old 07-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

TowerHobbies.com stocks lower and upper front arms, steering arms. CRC.com stocks complete front ends as well as most of the front end parts. I had some trouble finding steel trailing front axles. CRC had them. Stormerhobbies.com stocks IRS axles and hubs as well as 6 wide pan bodies. RC4less.com had teflon coated aluminum pivot balls and .075 inch spacers that are hard to find . Parts are still available as some of the oval guys use them. You can also order direct from teamassociated.com I had good luck with this. As far as I know there are no knockoff front ends. All use associated parts as it is expensive to make a mold. CRC does make a similar front end on their new 1/12 car that uses CRC molded parts.

Here is a pic of my prototype pan car that does not need such a perfect track to run on. 3 link rear suspension with Panhard bar in the back. Dampened front suspension. It hits 53 mph at the end of our straight. The 1/8 scales Nitros were doing about 54 mph there. The 1/10 scale Nitros about 52. Novak 3.5R and 2s LiPo, 7.4 volts.
John
Attached Thumbnails Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?-front-suspension-prototype-3-full-car-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 07-07-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Here is a pic of my prototype pan car that does not need such a perfect track to run on. 3 link rear suspension with Panhard bar in the back. Dampened front suspension. John
John, I'd like to see more photo's of that specially the front end. I had thought of a similar design using the existing upper arm such as yours but my thoughts never left my head. If sturdy enough, The oval crowd would be hugely interested.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Here is another pic. My constraints were a little tougher than oval as I had less height under the hood with a low GTP body. I race mine along side the Nitros at Mikes-Hobbyshop.com. Send me a PM if you want to discuss this further.
Attached Thumbnails Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?-front-suspension-finished-resized.jpg   Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?-associated-nissan-gtp-body-001-resized.jpg  
Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We even had a US Pan Car Championship here in San Antonio and NO One but local racers showed up.
Kid was a KID with some ideas - not nearly enough ideas - and no way to committ or follow through - but you can't blame HIM that nobody shows up at an event.

As a race promoter/director I can plan a race all year long - promote it - spend money on it and have nobody show up and lose $1000.00's of dollars...all to find out PEOPLE didn't want to be 'the only ones' who showed up..so they sit on the fence and SEE if someone else tells them it's a good event. Then maybe they'll go 'the next year'

You put someone like Boylan or Scotty involved in it - PEOPLE show up because they have a reputation of putting on a great event...NEW GUYS with a hope and or dream to bring something to the table get CRUCIFIED in this hobby.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

As a design exercise BMI Racing designed a new 1/10th pan car, the DB10R. It is designed to be 200mm wide so all 200mm nitro bodies fit it (Lola, Sedan, LeMans, HPI Vintage Muscle Car...anything that is 200mm wide fits)

It is also set up to to run LiPo and BL motors out of the box. I am thinking this car would be a hoot with a Orion 4800 Lipo or Core Racing 5000 LiPo and a 13.5T BL motor. With that motor it should be as fast as a mod sedan.

It uses a normal AE front end, and commonly available IRS oval axles and hubs.

Right now its just a CAD file. Let me know if you have some interest in this and I will pass it on to Jason.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
As a design exercise BMI Racing designed a new 1/10th pan car, the DB10R. It is designed to be 200mm wide so all 200mm nitro bodies fit it (Lola, Sedan, LeMans, HPI Vintage Muscle Car...anything that is 200mm wide fits)

It is also set up to to run LiPo and BL motors out of the box. I am thinking this car would be a hoot with a Orion 4800 Lipo or Core Racing 5000 LiPo and a 13.5T BL motor. With that motor it should be as fast as a mod sedan.

Right now its just a CAD file. Let me know if you have some interest in this and I will pass it on to Jason.

you can put me down for one!!
Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

ADRIAN I'LL TAKE ONE ALSO.....

MARCOS I TALKED TO ROB TO @ SUPERIOR TODAY. HE SAID HE WOULD BE EXCITED TO SEE A 10TH PAN @ SUPERIOR ON SUNDAY. I ALSO TALKED TO IZZY AND MIKE BEAN THEY ALWAYS HAVE 5 TO 8 PANS @ STRICKLANDS.

SOUNDS LIKE FUN..........

Originally Posted by AdrianM

Old 07-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

ALSO THE 5 - 8 PEOPLE THAT RACE PAN IN DAYTONA ALSO RUN 12TH SCALE. THIS WILL ALSO BOOST UP THE 12TH SCALE CLASS AT SUPERIOR WHICH IS ALSO STARTING TO SHRINK. THE ONLY THING ROB ASKED WAS TO ADDED THIS CLASS AFTER THE RAIN SEASON IS FINISHED. HE SAID HE'S HAVE A TUFF TIME GETTING ALL OF THE RACING IN BEFORE THE RAIN STARTS IN THE AFTERNOON. WORKS FOR ME........

Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03
ADRIAN I'LL TAKE ONE ALSO.....

MARCOS I TALKED TO ROB TO @ SUPERIOR TODAY. HE SAID HE WOULD BE EXCITED TO SEE A 10TH PAN @ SUPERIOR ON SUNDAY. I ALSO TALKED TO IZZY AND MIKE BEAN THEY ALWAYS HAVE 5 TO 8 PANS @ STRICKLANDS.

SOUNDS LIKE FUN..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.