R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
As a design exercise BMI Racing designed a new 1/10th pan car, the DB10R. It is designed to be 200mm wide so all 200mm nitro bodies fit it (Lola, Sedan, LeMans, HPI Vintage Muscle Car...anything that is 200mm wide fits)

It is also set up to to run LiPo and BL motors out of the box. I am thinking this car would be a hoot with a Orion 4800 Lipo or Core Racing 5000 LiPo and a 13.5T BL motor. With that motor it should be as fast as a mod sedan.

It uses a normal AE front end, and commonly available IRS oval axles and hubs.

Right now its just a CAD file. Let me know if you have some interest in this and I will pass it on to Jason.

Adrian you should be on www.rctvlive.com tonight discussing BMI's new 12th scale. Enjoy.
RCTVLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #62
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03 View Post
ADRIAN I'LL TAKE ONE ALSO.....

MARCOS I TALKED TO ROB TO @ SUPERIOR TODAY. HE SAID HE WOULD BE EXCITED TO SEE A 10TH PAN @ SUPERIOR ON SUNDAY. I ALSO TALKED TO IZZY AND MIKE BEAN THEY ALWAYS HAVE 5 TO 8 PANS @ STRICKLANDS.

SOUNDS LIKE FUN..........
Yeah...I bet! Rob has been sitting on 1/10th Corally Pan Car kits and a wall full of parts for a few years now...lol!
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah...I bet! Rob has been sitting on 1/10th Corally Pan Car kits and a wall full of parts for a few years now...lol!

ADRIAN IS THE NEW BMI 10TH PAN A SINGLE SHOCK OR TRI SHOCK?

ALSO I'M GUESSING THE BATTERIES WILL BE PLACED IN THE CENTER OF THE CHASSIS KIND OF THE NEW DARK-SIDE 10TH PAN.

ARE YOU ABLE TO GIVE US SOME HINTS ON THE NEW 10TH PAN OR IS IT STILL UNDER LOCK AND KEY.

I JUST WATCHED YOU INTERVIEW ON RCTVLIVE AND HALF TO SAY YOU SOUNDED VERY PROFESSIONAL AS ALWAYS.

LATER,
ERIC
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #64
Tech Champion

It is single shock and uses side damper tubes. Tri-Shock are not ideal. They increase the potential for inconsistancy, they are difficult to make quick damping changes and the side spring rate that they contribute is not necessary. A center shock with damper tubes is simple, easy to adjust and extremely consistant...as proven in 1/12th cars.

ALSO I'M GUESSING THE BATTERIES WILL BE PLACED IN THE CENTER OF THE CHASSIS KIND OF THE NEW DARK-SIDE 10TH PAN.

Yes, LiPo is the future and there is no way to mount a lipo across the chassis and maintain proper rear suspension geometry. That said the DB10R is designed to get the weigt as far back as possible to maintain the necessary fore and aft weigth transfer so you get good turn in and mid corner steering. If the weight on any car is too far forward you loose turn in.

ARE YOU ABLE TO GIVE US SOME HINTS ON THE NEW 10TH PAN OR IS IT STILL UNDER LOCK AND KEY.

Well, the car is just drawings now. I will talk to Jason and see what he wants to show.
I JUST WATCHED YOU INTERVIEW ON RCTVLIVE AND HALF TO SAY YOU SOUNDED VERY PROFESSIONAL AS ALWAYS.

Thanks Eric...was that the new one about the BMI DB12R?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Adrian is your new pan car going to be wide or narrow? Did you ever see my Bolink protype car with the batteries down the center and no tee-bar( an big U). I won the B main at the Minregg nationals with that car and the three B mains(at the state series) following that national.If your going to make chassis maybe I can give you this one any you can make me a copy and if they are going to be a Narrow version you could make it narrow.
The last car I drove was one of those Corally 1/10th which I converted to a tri-shock rear-end.
Adrian please send me a e-mail or phone number as I'm interested in this new-old pan cars making a come back.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #66
Tech Champion

Thanks Bill but we are using Jason's Flex Link rear suspension from the DB12R.

It will be a 200mm wide car so its a narrow format. It really has to be since there are no good 235mm electric bodies (Like the ProtoForm Peugeot) available anymore in the US.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Quote:

It is single shock and uses side damper tubes. Tri-Shock are not ideal. They increase the potential for inconsistancy, they are difficult to make quick damping changes and the side spring rate that they contribute is not necessary. A center shock with damper tubes is simple, easy to adjust and extremely consistant...as proven in 1/12th cars.

Yes, LiPo is the future and there is no way to mount a lipo across the chassis and maintain proper rear suspension geometry. That said the DB10R is designed to get the weigt as far back as possible to maintain the necessary fore and aft weigth transfer so you get good turn in and mid corner steering. If the weight on any car is too far forward you loose turn in.

Well, the car is just drawings now. I will talk to Jason and see what he wants to show.

[B]Thanks Eric...was that the new one about the BMI DB12R?[/B]

NO IT WAS ON THE MI3........THE BMI DB12 INTERVIEW SHOULD BE OUT TODAY. ALSO ON THE OVAL SECTION IN THE 10TH PAN FORUM CHECK OUT A GUY THAT GOES BY PRO TEN HOLLAND I'M ALMOST POSITIVE THAT JASON HAS SOME OF HIS C.A.D. DRAWINGS ON SOME COOL STUFF THAT THEY ARE WORKING ON OVER IN EUROPE IN THE PRO 10 MOD PAN CAR CLASS.

LATER,
E
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

some of those folks in europe are SERIOUS... like custom carbon tub chassis with front brakes and xray suspension serious..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

There are plenty of wide pan bodies in the US. Stormer Hobbies stocks 6 different models. One of them is the protoform Peugeout. There is also a Nissan 300z GT body available from McAllister.com. When you drive a wide one on a road course outside, you will not want to go back to narrow. I found side dampers useless on our outdoor track. In 3 laps they load up with grit and bind up. They need to be sealed, but then they would be side shocks.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #70

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=PFM140722
Build a 235mm car as well. It will not disappoint you.
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #71
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland View Post
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=PFM140722
Build a 235mm car as well. It will not disappoint you.
Yeah but theyere are only 6 in stock and ProtoForm discontinuted them 5 years ago.

The plan was to buld on the Tamiya F103GT concept with 1/10th pan car foam tires and a more serious chassis in the 200mm format.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #72
Tech Elite

protoform still makes the bodies, just for stormer..

Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Quote:

The plan was to buld on the Tamiya F103GT concept with 1/10th pan car foam tires and a more serious chassis in the 200mm format.
any chance of it accepting touring tires?

Old 07-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #74
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On carpet, these cars with foam tires and traction compound stick like glue and are tough as nails. Renders four wheel drive superfluous baggage. A stock 27T motor and a run of the mill battery pack and you will outperform any touring car equipped with the latest cells and tuned stock motor, so don't tell me they are slow and you're only attracted to racing if its fast. The weight is lower, the setup simpler, the drivetrain more efficient. A simple, affordable, AE old school king pin front end performs perfectly on carpet. I think the hobby in general is out-teching itself and paving the way for its own limits of success, and in some cases survival. The best drivers will always be at the front, but if you want the hobby to catch on again, you can't continue with requiring beginners starting up to spend big bucks to compete.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Adrain could you make this Bolink I have in 200mm?
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote