R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #256
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Everyone wants to gofaster but there is a cost
Not EVERYONE wants to go faster...some of us want "BETTER RACING" which doesn't mean FASTER...

TOO FAST is what imho KILLED Pan Car racing the first time.

Tracks had to be perfect - Traction had to be perfect - and when the Kyosho/Tamiya TC's came out there were ROCK SLOW but sooooo easy to drive. NOW They are too fast for most guys to drive...

4 years ago - I would have been strongly pushing for 4 cell pan car ONROAD racing...but now I'm pushing OVAL away from 4 cell, so it wouldn't make sense to push On-Road Pan Cars towards it...

Rather a SLOWER MOTOR and still use either 6 cell or LIPO (Lipo's are hard to fit in a lot of the Pan Cars unless you bridge them OVER the TPLATE and under the Center Shock ..but they are so light, even doing that you wouldn't raise the CG that bad.)

NOVAK is currently working on a SLOWER YET Brushless Motor - we have the NEW 17.5's that in a 6 cell Pan car are still crazy fast - but when the newer motor gets fully tested...I think THAT motor in a 6 cell ONROAD Pan car would be a TON of FUN with either a 3200 Style LIPO or a 6 cell battery. (It'll be in the 20's for that Wind)

**NOTE: If YOU are interested in the 17.5 B/L motor from NOVAK - they are currently ONLY available eXclusively from NOVAK's SHOP-A-TRON at www.teamnovak.com

If you want to go with a CHEAP 19t type motor...get your club/track to do the TRINITY Ultra-Bird teardown (comes with No Springs or Brushes for about $25.00. Hook up a SINGLE STYLE Brush Rule (Like FINISHLINE's "F" Brush) which is easy to tech...and very inexpensive....plus they work really well in that motor.

Go with something like the ELITE 3600 battery from Cheapbatterypacks.com - and you've got CHEAP~ Yet FAST and available.
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:05 AM   #257
Tech Champion

Too fast isn't what killed pan cars...too expensive and too much preparation killed pan cars. What race director wants to spend hours power washing, setting up a track, and then spraying sugar water when with TCs they can get by with leaf blowing it and setting up a track. In those days having the high end stuff didn't matter because traction wasn't good but it was adequate for TC but pan cars couldn't get enough traction. So as race organization did less prep work it became less fun to run pan cars and more fun to run TCs. Then TCs started getting super competitive and track preparation started to really matter...Now you have a more expensive car that is heavier, wears tires faster, wears batteries and motors faster, and takes the same amount of track prep that the old pan cars used to. So now pan cars start to look more enticing because they are lighter, wear equipment less, and perform well on a well prepared track now that it is needed even for TC.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:13 AM   #258
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Actually the speed killed the pan car class. Prepping the track here in florida has been the same regardless.If I run this weekend it will be 6 cell (old 3800's) and a 13.5 brushless motor.The body will be an HPI Mercedes body.The tires are old even the new ones in the box.I would like to go several ways with the class down hereNascar road course with the COT from McAllister) or Tans Am with old Mustangs and Camaros and Cudas. Out of the two the Nascar would probably be better for the spectators.
Looking to having a Fun day racing Sunday but first I've got to finish building the thing.Now I'm waiting for the ESC and Reciever.Oh yes I've got to rebuild the battery pack to fit the Bolink Chassis with the battery holders (got plenty). When the lipo comes in I've got an old bolink stick pack adapotor that will probably work- if I can find it.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #259
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
If I run this weekend it will be 6 cell (old 3800's) and a 13.5 brushless motor.
Sorry but this makes me feel old. When I was digging through the basement looking for bodies I found my old 1500mah and 1700mah battery packs with deans plugs. Was debating taking off the plugs and putting the packs on EBay.
studysession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #260
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

studysession, fix the links on your site so i can see your shop... that was the best part!

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #261
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
studysession, fix the links on your site so i can see your shop... that was the best part!
Yeah - I was trying to figure out what I did with that directory of pictures the other day. On one of my old HD's. Those are outdated pics anyway, I will most likely take new ones in the next month or two and replace that page.

The pics on the site are from when I lived in England. Since living back in the US I built a much bigger CNC shop. My CNC routing table has a 6 foot by 4 foot cutting area. I built this machine myself, just need to clean up area before taking pictures of it. Once it all has been done will take new pics and post them. Will be a few weeks though.

I got into CNC Machining because of wanting to make my own RC car parts. If it is a 2D or 2.5D part I can machine it out. Just draw it in SAE not metric and needs to be something I can open in TurboCAD Deluxe ver 14.

My first sponsor was MTroniks and started testing their brushless stuff before they put it out on the market and made a lot of custom parts for the cars I was testing and then did a brushless conversion to my Hyper 7 PBS 1/8 scale buggy.

It will be sometime but plan on making some parts for the pan cars I posted. I have 2 or 3 small sheets of CF and will machine something out of them once I fix my gantry on my CNC routing table that I made.

Also with making my own routing table I will be producing my own motor controllers for CNC machines. Hope to have a product tested and ready forsale by next spring.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #262
Tech Elite

do you have a mill too?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #263
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
do you have a mill too?

Yes but the routing table is much better. The mill I have is very small, can only cut 5 inch by 3.5 inch size parts. Still @d & 2.5D. Besides that I have to fix the spindle on it. It is a few years old, I bought it fully CNC'ed from a company in Scottland while I was over seas. My lathe is not CNC'ed - bought it from a company in England.

My Routing table is esentially a REALLY BIG mill, but better. The part doesn't move at all but spindle does. Has X, Y & Z Axis just like the mill but the parts can be almost 6 foot by 4 foot instead on 5 inch by 3.5 inch. Can go as small as my bits can cut.

This week have company at my house. But next week will start rebuilding the gantry for better acuracy and then be back up and running again in couple weeks.

So with the pan cars I plan on measuring out what's what and making parts like motor plates, top & bottom plates etc...

Attached is example of gantry style router. Currently mine only has three axis and picture shows 5. Mine will have 5 eventually. Other pictures whows what axis goes where.

My mill and router both are only 3 axis. X, Y & Z. Also is a pic of how I had my mill & lathe setup in my garage in England. Along with a pic of the motor plate I machined out of 6061-6T aircraft quality aluminum for my Hyper 7 PBS coversion. Will do similar for these cars.

Once my gantry is fixed, I plan on running of 4 - 5 of these motor plates for the Hyper 7 1/8 scale buggy and sell them on my site. At that time I will redo the website. And then start making motor plates and such for these cars. All this takes time though. Don't expect to see anything for another couple of months to be ready for anytype of real production.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?-cnc_a1.gif   Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?-cnc_a3.gif   Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?-cncedmotorplate1-lg.jpg   Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?-cncedplate-lg.jpg  
Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #264
Tech Elite

sounds good. i've got some idea floating around in the back of my head i may like to realize some day.. i have been teaching myself cad/cam using RHINO.. you only work in SAE? i

Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #265
Tech Elite

sounds good. i've got some idea floating around in the back of my head i may like to realize some day.. i have been teaching myself cad/cam using RHINO.. you only work in SAE? i've

Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #266
Tech Elite

sounds good. i've got some idea floating around in the back of my head i may like to realize some day.. i have been teaching myself cad/cam using RHINO.. you only work in SAE?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #267
Tech Elite

sounds good. i've got some idea floating around in the back of my head i may like to realize some day.. i have been teaching myself cad/cam using RHINO.. you only work in SAE?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #268
Tech Elite

sounds good. i've got some idea floating around in the back of my head i may like to realize some day.. i have been teaching myself cad/cam using RHINO.. you only work in SAE? i've been eyeing a

Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #269
Tech Elite

sounds good. i've got some idea floating around in the back of my head i may like to realize some day.. i have been teaching myself cad/cam using RHINO.. you only work in SAE? i've been eyeing a mill for

Old 07-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #270
Tech Elite

sounds good. i've got some idea floating around in the back of my head i may like to realize some day.. i have been teaching myself cad/cam using RHINO.. you only work in SAE? i've been eyeing a mill for a while