R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #226
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Associated and McAllister also made TOJ bodies.
Ok I don´t know McAllister very well. But Associated had the 1/12 scale only not the 1/10?
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #227
Tech Champion

That could be I'm not sure. I know my buddy ran matching 1/10th and 1/12th but not sure what brand he was using.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #228
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12 View Post
Ok I don´t know McAllister very well. But Associated had the 1/12 scale only not the 1/10?
Actually I have an old car action that has an AE ad with an ad for the original 10L topped with the Associated TOJ. I believe there's also one in stock at World of Hobbies in Cincy.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #229
V12
Tech Elite

Someone have pictures from the old 1/10 pan car bodies or remember what had been used in the beginning? After the TOJ I had BBR Lotec and Andy´s Lotec.

At Ebay I had seen a picture with this body, front looks exactly like a Andy´s Nissan but the rear is different. Maybe something as an Andy´s Porsche if there was one.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?-dscf0175.jpg  
Old 07-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #230
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Actually I have an old car action that has an AE ad with an ad for the original 10L topped with the Associated TOJ. I believe there's also one in stock at World of Hobbies in Cincy.
What year/month was that car action, maybe I still have one of those old lying somewhere. Or do you have a picture of the AE TOJ?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #231
Tech Champion

That's definately a Nissan but not Andy's. Andy's had much better detail then that. Andy's had the best Porsche 962 body ever! Both the long and short tail. I miss that kind of realism in pan cars.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #232
V12
Tech Elite

I just grabed my Andys Nissan for closer comparing and the front half indeed looks like a copy of that body in the picture. The rear half is different.

I didn´t know Andy´s had Porsches also. Are there any pictures?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #233
Tech Champion

I looked around but wasn't able to find any pics
Old 07-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #234
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The problem is that pan cars haven't even made a come back and already people are talking about running expensive brushless systems with big buck lipos. The key to making these classes come back is to keep the costs very low. People look at pan cars and wonder what could cost so much. The cost is in the details which is what needs to be limited.

Wanna keep the costs down? Here's how:

Cheap batteries: No matched packs, no individual battery matchers, no lipos. Everyone should be forced to run a sealed battery pack that costs less than $50. This will still allow pretty good packs to be used but it will keep guys from buying individual cells, matching them with a $400 matcher, and building custom packs. I say no lipos because that increases the cost of both the charger and the battery packs themselves.

Cheap motors: One class, 19t spec, and a cost limit. Just like we should do with the batteries the class should have a set cost for the motor you're allowed to use including a specific type of brush and weight of springs. This would stop people from having to buy an expensive brushless system, brushless specific ESC, or multiple sets of brushes/springs trying to get that last few hundred rpms.

The way to regulate what battery packs and motors is by having a set list of allowed packs/motors that are known to cost less than $50.

As for tires, you should be able to run whatever you want. The reason being that each track is different. However the individual track can cut costs by only allowing certain compounds

Wanna cut costs even more? Only allow vehicles under a certain cost limit to compete. This would stop manufacturers from selling big buck models. Lets face it the problem with TC these days is that you can no longer compete with a moderately modified TA05. Instead you need an all carbon car that costs over $500 without tires/body.
quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #235
Tech Champion

That is true...I ran a F1 class for 13 years limiting only battery and motor to sport tuned motors and sport pack pre-made battery packs. But with pan cars you really can not limit them to sealed battery packs because most of the road course cars run saddle pack batteries.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #236
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0 View Post

Wanna keep the costs down? Here's how:

Cheap batteries: No matched packs, no individual battery matchers, no lipos. Everyone should be forced to run a sealed battery pack that costs less than $50. This will still allow pretty good packs to be used but it will keep guys from buying individual cells, matching them with a $400 matcher, and building custom packs. I say no lipos because that increases the cost of both the charger and the battery packs themselves.

Cheap motors: One class, 19t spec, and a cost limit. Just like we should do with the batteries the class should have a set cost for the motor you're allowed to use including a specific type of brush and weight of springs. This would stop people from having to buy an expensive brushless system, brushless specific ESC, or multiple sets of brushes/springs trying to get that last few hundred rpms.

The way to regulate what battery packs and motors is by having a set list of allowed packs/motors that are known to cost less than $50.

As for tires, you should be able to run whatever you want. The reason being that each track is different. However the individual track can cut costs by only allowing certain compounds

Wanna cut costs even more? Only allow vehicles under a certain cost limit to compete. This would stop manufacturers from selling big buck models. Lets face it the problem with TC these days is that you can no longer compete with a moderately modified TA05. Instead you need an all carbon car that costs over $500 without tires/body.
brushless systems barely cost more than quality brushed systems and last infinately longer costing less in the long run. lipo chargers cost less than NIMH chargers by about half, and several modern chargers already will charge lipos, like the ice, orions charger, and several others, not to mention some companies will be offering software upgrades for their existing chargers.. and lipo packs may cost more up front, but usually you only need one, and it lasts (stays competitive) much longer than their NiMh competition... only part of the "expense" of touring cars is up front. the endless maintenance, tires good for 2 runs, parts, wear and tear.... a full on modern pan car will cost a fraction of that to run and maintain.. i've gotten atleast 18 runs on a set of white rears on a high abrasion track..

look i'm a huge fan of keeping this class cheap and fun, but the fact of the matter is that lipos and brushless are the future, and for some the present, and that being the case, for some people those rules would actually cost many people MORE money to run.. i don't own any brused motors, sold my lathe, and am NEVER buying NiMh batts again.. they last about a month.. spec packs and motors are terrible and some are just plain duds..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #237
Tech Champion

LiPo and BL will be the norm eventually...however they still are too expensive INITIALLY for new comers just trying out the hobby. With spec packs and motors you don't need the high end electronics to be competitive. Heck I won my last 1/12th race using a $60 sport ESC. When LiPo and BL technology come down to sport level prices then they will be ready for spec classes. Personally I very much look foward to that day but hope manufacturers and sanctioning bodies are able to prevent cheating electronically for stock and spec classes. That's a problem I saw happen in paintball...as markers became more dependant on electronics manufactuers were able make cheater modes that did things like make the marker go full auto. These modes were made so that they could easily be reset to normal mode to avoid detection during inspections.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #238
Tech Adept

I am excited about the car I purchased off EBay. The guy emailed me saying he shipped it early today. This evening I have been painting one of the old Bolink bodies I have. It is of a 68 Chevy Elcomino - This thing is like a square brick. All the Bolink bodies I have are like that.

Chevy Nomad Wagon, couple of truck bodies and this elcomino.

I like the decals that come with the HPI bodies. On this have to paint it all the lights and stuff. Tomorrow will paint in the bumpers stuff. Still want something better for speed but have to wait til after pay day.

If anything, I think it will look nice with this body.

SS
studysession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #239
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

if your alredy having fun, your halfway there.. i'm the same way. were it not for the pan cars, i was ready to give up racing a year or two ago. now i'm reinvigorated.. "what's old is new again" they say..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #240
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
brushless systems barely cost more than quality brushed systems and last infinately longer costing less in the long run. lipo chargers cost less than NIMH chargers by about half, and several modern chargers already will charge lipos, like the ice, orions charger, and several others, not to mention some companies will be offering software upgrades for their existing chargers.. and lipo packs may cost more up front, but usually you only need one, and it lasts (stays competitive) much longer than their NiMh competition... only part of the "expense" of touring cars is up front. the endless maintenance, tires good for 2 runs, parts, wear and tear.... a full on modern pan car will cost a fraction of that to run and maintain.. i've gotten atleast 18 runs on a set of white rears on a high abrasion track..

look i'm a huge fan of keeping this class cheap and fun, but the fact of the matter is that lipos and brushless are the future, and for some the present, and that being the case, for some people those rules would actually cost many people MORE money to run.. i don't own any brused motors, sold my lathe, and am NEVER buying NiMh batts again.. they last about a month.. spec packs and motors are terrible and some are just plain duds..
I agree 100%- If someone wants to race they have to know you have to spend the cash, like in any sport or hobby. Running a pan car vs a Touring car is not cheap! You need a good radio, receiver, ESC, motor and batteries, and basic tools. That's what costs the most, and will be the same for 1/18, pan cars, 1/8, etc. If you're cheap or broke and cant afford the hobby, you simply cant participate...save money and then get what you need. But dont try and limit everyone else!

For example- you can run a RTR touring car class...XXX-S, TC4, etc. for $400you can have a car with motor, esc, receiver, radio, body, tires, etc. Imagine the radio glitching, the poor set-up and performance of the cars, and money wasted on those sorry non-matched packs. Its a joke...that nice for kids who want to bash and hit each other in a parking lot...but not for
organized club racing.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote