R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #196
Tech Champion

HPI had an interesting independant front end that was more like a cross between the current front ends and an independant. Worked pretty well on their pan cars but the F1 version had much too much flex in the arms.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #197
Tech Apprentice

For example:

F1- indendent suspension, rear wheel drive
Le Mans prototypes- indendent suspension, rear wheel drive
Nascar, Cart, etc.- indendent suspension, rear wheel drive
DTM- indendent suspension, front OR rear wheel drive (not both)

And I could go on and on.

As I said, I really like pan cars, and I like them because I think they are closer in many aspects to a real race car than other categories. But I still think they can be improved in that way.

This is just a thought that I know there is people thinking the same way. I totally respect other opinions and I consider too that it is time to race pan cars again as a fast non expensive way of racing, but maybe little changes can make it more atractive to old racxers and newbbies.
pepecueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #198
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
HPI had an interesting independant front end that was more like a cross between the current front ends and an independant. Worked pretty well on their pan cars but the F1 version had much too much flex in the arms.
Didn't know that HPI had a pan car.
studysession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #199
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepecueva View Post
For example:

F1- indendent suspension, rear wheel drive
Le Mans prototypes- indendent suspension, rear wheel drive
Nascar, Cart, etc.- indendent suspension, rear wheel drive
DTM- indendent suspension, front OR rear wheel drive (not both)

And I could go on and on.

As I said, I really like pan cars, and I like them because I think they are closer in many aspects to a real race car than other categories. But I still think they can be improved in that way.

This is just a thought that I know there is people thinking the same way. I totally respect other opinions and I consider too that it is time to race pan cars again as a fast non expensive way of racing, but maybe little changes can make it more atractive to old racxers and newbbies.
Yes I know there are classes out there with rear wheel drive and independant suspension...My point though was that not all race cars are fully independant suspensions. NASCAR, I believe, uses a link type rear suspension not an independant for example.

There have been a number of innovations in pan car suspensions. But they keep coming back to the same basic deisgn for a reason...it works, it's lighter, and easier to setup then the more complicated designs. Besides...only the front could be independant anyway...independant rear is against the rules in most sanctioning bodies for the class.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #200
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
It was called the RoadStar 10.

There is a picture of it on HPI's web site under "discontinued kits"
MADHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #201
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADHAT View Post
It was called the RoadStar 10.

There is a picture of it on HPI's web site under "discontinued kits"
Thanks -

I have some older bolink bodies for pan cars. Nothing really nice just got a few for cheap. I pulled out the elcomino to use on the pan car I got off EBay. Will use it until I get something better for speed. Until then use this one. These things will be like pushing a brick with how they are shaped.

When a body doesn't have a wing (like the elcomino), how do you go about getting one to mount to help keep the rear pushed down for extra traction?

Thanks
SS
Old 07-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #202
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If 1/10th comes back it will be because it is easy, fast and inexpensive.

A 2wd sedan is non of the above.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 PM   #203
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Just a note. We reached 63 mph today with a wide pan geared for the track. More gains are still possible. We were somewhat traction limited.
John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #204
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Just a note. We reached 63 mph today with a wide pan geared for the track. More gains are still possible. We were somewhat traction limited.
John
What gearing and electonics w/ motor are you using?

Thanks -
SS
Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #205
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

2S LiPo (7.4 V) Spektrum, Novak GTB, Novak 3.5R geared 13/90. Radar measured speed. The full report is here on the Pantoura thread.
John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #206
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
2S LiPo (7.4 V) Spektrum, Novak GTB, Novak 3.5R geared 13/90. Radar measured speed. The full report is here on the Pantoura thread.
John
Sounds nice - THanks
Old 07-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #207
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

Hi,

Here is my experience. My 1/10 pancar when come to unprepare track, front and rear end look bouncing in the corner but this thing gone when add damping system.

No doubt that some additional system give some extra weight. But the approach should be different with TC to minimise the extra weight. Such as no sock tower, small damping system, laydown shock absorber, small gear box, weight distribution F35/R65 , front brake system (late braking into corner), drop adjustment, body roll setting, rear toe in (for earlier throttle)....at this moment, I have no problem with the speed but not be able to do late entry....so TC 3.5T brushless with spool...take that advantage

Some said, you can not go faster until you learn how to brake....

Just my thought
UFShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #208
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That's a great picture of the Bolink Eliminator 10. Do you need the Bolink battery mounts got one -two packages.Probably got spare parts for it too.Bodies new Toj-Nissan gtp and L&MMark 3.As someone else said that is a Associated battery holder for a stick pack.If you want the California Flyer version got it one the shelf collecting dust.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:14 AM   #209
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by studysession View Post
Actually they had 2 pan cars. First was the RS10G what is the wide version and its what I have standing here. At the 1996 worlds HPI brought a narrow version also (as Associated) what was the RS10GW. But in the end the wider version worked better.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #210
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
That's a great picture of the Bolink Eliminator 10. Do you need the Bolink battery mounts got one -two packages.Probably got spare parts for it too.Bodies new Toj-Nissan gtp and L&MMark 3.As someone else said that is a Associated battery holder for a stick pack.If you want the California Flyer version got it one the shelf collecting dust.
Not sure what the California Flyer version is. I am ok with using the battery tray like it is, but will know for sure when the car arrives. Figure that maybe the only way to fit my 3700 mah 7.4v lipo pack.

I might be interested in what you have but would have to wait til payday.