Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars? >

Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

ufshadow. one of the major advantages that pan cars have is that they are very light. adding full suspensions and other complex components adds to that weight.. another major appeal for owners of pancars is their simplicity, ease of maintenance, and low cost, all of which will be compromised with a more complex car.. that said i do believe there is room for improvement in the overall design..
Old 07-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Back in the real old days there was a 1/12th car wih 4 wheel independant supension (ABC Hobbies). It was a piece of junk. Making a 1/10th car with independant supension would add more cost to the kits.My take is KISS.You want the others stuff go with a TC.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Hi -

I was hoping that someone here could help me identify what brand & model this car is. I bought it off EBay yesterday and should be here later this week.

Need to know where to get replacement parts & hop-ups. Without knowing the brand or model not sure what kind of hop=ups will fit etc.

Many thanks

Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

i only see pro10 growing as an prototype/sports car enduro class, possibly team style like the gas guys are doing. be it 190/200/235.. lipo/bl (maybe even only). qualifiers longer than current, mains quite a bit longer like the gas guys are running now. cars are big enough to run 2 lipos (parallel) so you have choices of short or long 'fueling'. not much to "tech" lol. Get back to gentlemen's racing on the rules. No more bump n run.
something a little more relaxed than 5 minutes of mayhem. but thats the way i see it.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by studysession
Hi -

I was hoping that someone here could help me identify what brand & model this car is. I bought it off EBay yesterday and should be here later this week.

Need to know where to get replacement parts & hop-ups. Without knowing the brand or model not sure what kind of hop=ups will fit etc.

Many thanks
That sir is a bolink eliminator10, it was truley one of the first pro ten cars here in the states. That was the first 10 scale onroad car I ever owned circa 1987.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by speedxl
That sir is a bolink eliminator10, it was truley one of the first pro ten cars here in the states. That was the first 10 scale onroad car I ever owned circa 1987.
Thanks. Now trying to figure out what parts are interchangable with other pan cars would be helpful as well. 1987 makes it sound as they would not make this any more LOL.

Not to many tracks near me so mainly bash around. Plan on puting one of my brushless setups in this and running it out back of my house.

Thanks again
Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That batteryholder on the Bolink is from an old RC10 offroad car, the Bolink was run with the saddlepack style batteries as most onroad cars.
Not long ago I talked with a friend on our 1/10 pancar beginning back in the old days. He started with the Bolink but switched to the RC10L then and found the AE the much better car.

I think the steering blocks are the same as the RC10L and the bearings are the same as other cars. Other than that I think no other parts are interchangable even the rear axle is different than the usual AE parts.
But if you ever need parts there is a guy on Ebay selling some Bolink stuff.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
or worse the sorry front end on Speedmerchant 1/10 pan car- that's old and it sucks. THe point is to make it better.
Better, HMMMMMM. That Front-end still wins major carpet races ALL OVER THE WORLD in 12th scale, it's the lightest pan car front-end available, lasts FOREVER between rebuilds, and is dirt cheap to fix when something does break or wears out.

I, for one, do not believe that a front-end with twice as many moving parts, that changes everytime it's bumped by another car or taps a board, is better than a classic, simple, durable and FAST design. That's why speedmerchant still uses that Old-Skool AE front-end, IT'S BETTER than that piece of crap AE Dynamic strut front-end, and all of the mono-shock, independent A-arm messes that used to be available as well.

But if you want technology in a front-end, look no further than the new CRC front-end. Beautiful, durable and full of all the high tech features a pan car could ever need, and it flat-out works.

The reason pan cars don't require constant evolutionary change is because they are a better performance platform than a TC to begin with. Plus the pan car manufacturers don't feel the need to lower the rear chassis brace two mm every 8 months and package it as a whole new, must have car.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tallyrc
ufshadow. one of the major advantages that pan cars have is that they are very light. adding full suspensions and other complex components adds to that weight.. another major appeal for owners of pancars is their simplicity, ease of maintenance, and low cost, all of which will be compromised with a more complex car.. that said i do believe there is room for improvement in the overall design..
Serpent actually made a fully independent Pro-10 car way back when, it was SLOW compared to a real Pro-10, because it was just too damn heavy, and transferred far too much weight.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

I have seen 1/8th scale nitro pan type cars but not 1/10th. There is one listed on EBay but missing some parts. Are they popular? Never seen the 1/10 forsale anywhere before so I did not think so.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Better, HMMMMMM. That Front-end still wins major carpet races ALL OVER THE WORLD in 12th scale, it's the lightest pan car front-end available, lasts FOREVER between rebuilds, and is dirt cheap to fix when something does break or wears out.

I, for one, do not believe that a front-end with twice as many moving parts, that changes everytime it's bumped by another car or taps a board, is better than a classic, simple, durable and FAST design. That's why speedmerchant still uses that Old-Skool AE front-end, IT'S BETTER than that piece of crap AE Dynamic strut front-end, and all of the mono-shock, independent A-arm messes that used to be available as well.
The old front end definately is still a good and viable front end. However this second part I don't necessarily agree with. I've heard it several times now that the dynamic strut suspension gets knocked out of whack in an impact. Personally I've never noticed it and I take my fair share of knocks. I check my front end between every race day and it's always exactly the same as it was the last time I checked it.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I agree with independent suspension pan cars. They could get a little bit heavier, depending on how they design it, but I think the idea is that they must approach in design to a real race car. I really like pan cars, but it would be interesting to make them a little bit more tuneable, in the front end at least.

Of course, thats only my opinion.

Anyway, great thread.......
Old 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
The old front end definately is still a good and viable front end. However this second part I don't necessarily agree with. I've heard it several times now that the dynamic strut suspension gets knocked out of whack in an impact. Personally I've never noticed it and I take my fair share of knocks. I check my front end between every race day and it's always exactly the same as it was the last time I checked it.
I spent HOURS building them to perfection when we ran Oval, and I tried them in 12th scale too. Tried using the Bud's end-link Lunsford turnbuckle, etc. but every time I'd have a semi-sold hit, the camber would change, or those stupid teflon washers would deform, and the caster and/or camber would be compromised. I LOATHED that front-end. Slapped an old school front-end on my car and it was awesome. In Oval you had to run a Reactive front-end though, so I ended up using the Trinity. It's way harder to set up, but it always stayed where I set it.

This is based on my personal experience, Your results may vary.....
Old 07-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pepecueva
I agree with independent suspension pan cars. They could get a little bit heavier, depending on how they design it, but I think the idea is that they must approach in design to a real race car. I really like pan cars, but it would be interesting to make them a little bit more tuneable, in the front end at least.

What more would you like to adjust? With the new CRC front-end you can adjust spring rate, dampening, caster, reactive caster, camber, toe, axle position, and ride height. How much more adjustable can a TC front-end be than that?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pepecueva

Well now that would depend what class of "real race car" your talking about as different classes have different rules about car construction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.