R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2001, 03:23 PM   #31

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I chucked a P2K arm in a GM3 can, just to see. Stuck the thing on the dyno, and it is almost identical to a GM3. I am lead to believe that the GM3 can makes the motor different than a P2K, not the arm.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 03:30 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you could be right. have you try it the other way.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:31 PM   #33
Tech Master

Why does getting the motor too hot affect the brushes so much? I over geared a couple of times and the moter got really hot, then the dyno showed really crappy numbers, power and rpms. The only way to fix it was new brushes even though the old one had only a couple of runs on them and looked fine, they weren't discolored or chipped. Would reserrating them make them like new again?
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 03:33 PM   #34
Tech Elite

you try to clean off the brush face to see it that help.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:35 PM   #35

No tim I haven't tried that yet.

spongebob- pro-match(www.pro-matchracing.com) makes a brush serrator, it runs you about 30 bucks. I usually re-serate my brushes after every race-day, and replace them every two or three. Unless it is a big race of course. The power with re-serrated brushes is just as good as with new ones. Yes, the GM3 is very sensitive to over gearing.

Speedo
Old 08-26-2001, 03:49 PM   #36
Tech Elite

you should then you find out for sure that it is the can that dose all the work.
Old 08-26-2001, 04:05 PM   #37

Yeah...I should. Have two GM3 armatures coming in the mail tomorrow. When they wear down I'll chuck one in a P2K can and see what happens.
Old 08-26-2001, 04:13 PM   #38
Tech Elite

good tell us what happens.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:58 AM   #39
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I put my P2K armature into my Paradoxpro can and had excellent results with it. I don't have a dyno to test the numbers, but the fact that on the straight I was running into the back of guys using GM3 and MVP motors, tells me that my experiment was a success. It had excellent torque and top end. Best of all, the motor only gets warm, but never got too hot to touch, like with my fantom MVP. I wouln't mind running my Fantom MVP more, but I can't seem to get the gearing right. I still prefer the ParadoxPro over most of the newer motors. Its just more "middle of the road". Most new motors seem to be either super fast or have super torque.

Anybody else here still prefer the Paradoxpro over the newer motors?
Old 08-29-2001, 11:03 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

All the stock motors i have are crap except the a couple paradoxes I got from Cleveland indoor champs. I still think the paradox is the most consistent motor. Most of the ones i have had got faster until the com got so small I peeled it on the lathe. The newer motors seem to be hit or miss, and hard to keep fast. i realise a lot of fast guys would say the newer ones are better, but it's just my experience.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:07 AM   #41
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
I put my P2K armature into my Paradoxpro can and had excellent results with it. I don't have a dyno to test the numbers, but the fact that on the straight I was running into the back of guys using GM3 and MVP motors, tells me that my experiment was a success. It had excellent torque and top end. Best of all, the motor only gets warm, but never got too hot to touch, like with my fantom MVP. I wouln't mind running my Fantom MVP more, but I can't seem to get the gearing right. I still prefer the ParadoxPro over most of the newer motors. Its just more "middle of the road". Most new motors seem to be either super fast or have super torque.

Anybody else here still prefer the Paradoxpro over the newer motors?
you know that is an illegal motor you keep smashing into people with. its called a hybrid motor
holy ear guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:26 AM   #42
Regional Moderator

Yeah I know. At our track though we have several people who build their own motors from scratch. So their motors aren't exactly regulated. I also made it no secret what I was running. We don't stick that closely to running with Roar rules as long as you can prove its a stock motor. Its like allow people to use whatever body they want, Not Roar legal, but 99% of tracks do it.

Besides, I'm not looking to go to the nationals with it, I just want to be able to keep up with the people who build and tune their own motors or the people who spend a ton on brushes to stay faster than everyone else. Which I almost did, there were still a few guys who were just balistic!

I would still prefer the Paradox though. A ParadoxPro isn't a hybrid and thats what I have used up till my little experiment. I have to get a new paradox armarature though. Maybe a couple of them.

And I wasn't smashing into them. I don't smash into anyone. Just brushing them a little.

Last edited by Darkseid; 08-29-2001 at 11:29 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:33 AM   #43
Regional Moderator

robk: I think that has what just happened to my paradox armarature. I was cleaning the comm on my lathe and then this deep gash appeared out of no where, that I did put there. So I guess the peeling you refered to is what happened to mine. I just glad that unlike most places that just go with the newest thing, Towerhobbies still sell ParadoxPro's and armaratures. The only bad thing is that the can by it self has been discontinued. So if you want new magnets for your Paradox/pro you have to either get them zapped or buy a whole new motor.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:28 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Most of the the time they peel when they get close to .270-.260 in. The copper will come off of the comm backing. But its gets reeel fast right before.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 10:56 AM   #45
Tech Apprentice

trinity 's comm is at .262-.264 then they blow up on your lathe just as the were getting good
holy ear guy is offline   Reply With Quote