Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should old people with Skills be Forced out of Racing ROAR Masters. >

Should old people with Skills be Forced out of Racing ROAR Masters.

Should old people with Skills be Forced out of Racing ROAR Masters.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

To be honest there are not a lot of things tuners do to motors that make a lasting difference. The key is finding good brushes and springs for the motor and making sure the bushings are seated and the hoods aligned. There are not really many super secret tweaks people have been doing. Getting a tuners motor just means someone did most if not everything I mentioned above for you.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

funny how motors and batteries always take the credit for winning races..never driver skill and car set-up. damn shame!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I think this is true for all forms of racing. Check out a local full size race track. There are defined rules for all classes they race. You are not allowed to make up your own rules since you car/motor does not conform.
Funny you say that - over the past few years I've seen several tracks where the 'racers' were not happy with the rules the TRACK setup..so as a group of racers - THEY got together and got the rules how THEY wanted them (Since it was THEIR money being spent on the race cars) and since then they have got several tracks all running under one set of rules.

ALMOST like the racers UNITED!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOTHER FOCAR
funny how motors and batteries always take the credit for winning races..never driver skill and car set-up. damn shame!
It's a package deal, it takes all of the drivers skills to set the car up, build the motors and the most overlooked skill is tire care, the fast ones keep there tires from overheating and graining.
that's what makes racing so much fun, putting all those skills together.

And before anyone says the pros have motor builders and sponsors, hey, they had to get there by doing there own stuff to get sponsored in the first place.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

brushed motors tuning is fun except in sedan where it becomes more of a maintenance deal instead of tuning. If you ain't cutting comms and reseating the brushes every other heat then you're gonna be slow for at least one or two runs in the day...... this is stock where everyone is gearing to the moon....
Old 01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Casper
To be honest there are not a lot of things tuners do to motors that make a lasting difference. The key is finding good brushes and springs for the motor and making sure the bushings are seated and the hoods aligned. There are not really many super secret tweaks people have been doing. Getting a tuners motor just means someone did most if not everything I mentioned above for you.
That's all well and good, but I feel stock is suppose to be about driving and skill and not come down to motors, that's why the rules are there to make the speeds as close as possible. Unfortunately we know with tweaking there is a big difference in speed and that defeats the purpose of having a spec class with stock motors. You mentioned real sized racing, but like stock, shifter carts are the entry to racing and the most common shifter carts have sealed engines you can't tamper with. For tuning and tweaking of motors, let the mod guys do it or do a "Motor Tuner's" event where the tuner and the driver get a trophy, but for me I want to race and stock should be about driving, not motor. Brushless should help to level that playing field out to some extent and I'm all for that. Stock is for less experienced drivers and it shouldn't take years or uncommon knowledge in order for a stock driver to make a motor have an unfair advantage. I've always been able to tune a stock motor to have an unfair advantage and it's taken me years and tons of trial and error with help from more experienced tuners to get to my point, and even if someone drove slightly better than me, I could out motor them and I don't think that is in keeping with the intended nature of the class. And yes there is a lot of voodoo tuners do and yes there is a difference between tuners. Hmm, I wonder why it is such a big deal that Dieter is going back to Trinity (in a synical voice). In onroad a good tuned motor is a big advantage and in 1/12th if not done right, you're in a nosebleed main no matter how good your driving is. Just my 2 cents.