R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey now Mr. Jolly....

I still don't see how people can think it's so confusing, a 13.5 class is a 13.5 class. Period. Just like a 27T class is a 27T class. No two motors are the same and you will always have guys that are a little faster than others due to the manufacturing process of the motor, how or if, they tuned it, blah blah.

Everyone acts as if this brushless business is some kind of alien language. It's a different system and just like everyone HAS to have a 27T in the 27T class, you run the 13.5 in the 13.5 class, etc.
think it's abit like `everyone know's that there are good 27t & bad ones, but nearly every one can sort them out for said track by coming on here & bahing every ones ears to help them out with brush/spring combo's

really is pot luck to get a very good 27t .

but this BL 13.5 lark

if Novak have set the bench mark for performance for 13.5 ,then LRP come out with one 7 up the power a little ,then low & behold tekin release one that is slightly faster then LRP

we the racers would be forced to buy the next 13.5 that come's along & it will end up a 13.5 motor a month to stay ahead or stay with the jones's

we have been through this with brushed motors (Epic) don't really want to do it again !!but instead of Epic ,it be Novak for august -Lrp for september-Tekin for october-Nosram for november-orion for December , then by then Noval release another 13.5 again etc etc
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY View Post
if Novak have set the bench mark for performance for 13.5 ,then LRP come out with one 7 up the power a little ,then low & behold tekin release one that is slightly faster then LRP

we the racers would be forced to buy the next 13.5 that come's along & it will end up a 13.5 motor a month to stay ahead or stay with the jones's

we have been through this with brushed motors (Epic) don't really want to do it again !!but instead of Epic ,it be Novak for august -Lrp for september-Tekin for october-Nosram for november-orion for December , then by then Noval release another 13.5 again etc etc
EXACTLY.

The brushless groupies love to portray anyone that resists the Inevitable as ignorant luddites, but the lack of STANDARDS is still the major obstacle that prevents BL from becoming sanctioned for competition. (other then in Modified).

Everything is fine if we stick with Novak's line of motors, but we all know that won't last and since there are no real restrictions or guidelines yet, racers will want to run whatever latest and greatest system is available..... and who decides what will be allowed? based on what criteria?

The spec classes are going to be in chaos until there are rules governing brushless.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...ors/index.html

If you want a 13.5 motor now, buy that one. Otherwise wait for other companies to release theirs to the public.

/thread
Old 07-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #34
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

wait until you guys try the 13.5 with 5 cells geared at a 3.5FDR motor is about 120 after 5 minutes and is fast
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
wait until you guys try the 13.5 with 5 cells geared at a 3.5FDR motor is about 120 after 5 minutes and is fast

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to racer34v

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY View Post
think it's abit like `everyone know's that there are good 27t & bad ones, but nearly every one can sort them out for said track by coming on here & bahing every ones ears to help them out with brush/spring combo's

really is pot luck to get a very good 27t .

but this BL 13.5 lark

that pretty much summarizes what i had intended the thread to be pointed towards, the fact being that if i buy a 13.5 pro now to practice with before the season starts this fall will it be ''too slow'' compared to other ''13.5's both just released and yet to hit the market"

or is it going to be where you need an x brand 13.5 for a tight layout a y brand for a open flowing layout etc etc......
racer34v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Confusion, Hype, Mass Hysteria...all part of a good advertising campaign.

The OLD 13.5's are basically the same as the 13.5 Ex Sport motors, but a few color changes and i.d. markers have been added to those motors.

IF your racing allows SINTERED ROTOR UPGRADES you should run which EVERY 13.5 you get your hands on (NOVAK wise) upgraded to a sintered rotor...or just get (if you don't have anything yet) the PRO13.5 with the ribbed cans...

Will there be something NEWER out in a few months? Only the people at the MFG. know that for sure - but if sales of existing products stay good - the need to redress and remarket stay smaller...if sales drop off - you gotta do a little shakin' and rattlin' to get things movin again~ (Hopefully the NEXT upgrade we'll see on the NOVAK motors is the removable sensor harness, for easy replacement and optional lengths.)

DOES ANY OF THIS MEAN you old motor is NOT competitive? Not at all - but to run non-sintered against sintered you will be at a disadvantage performace wise..and heat wise.

13.5 is NOT equal to STOCK - PERIOD

the 13.5 may be a good class - but anyone who thinks the two are EQUAL is fooling themselves. (.3 seconds a lap on a 17 second road course may not be a lot.... but .3 seconds on a OVAL can be 4-6 laps over a 5 minute run.)

The NEW 17.5 motor will be closer to a STOCK motor - maybe a tick slower in a TC (But since it has a lower rpm range it may be tough to get geared up tall enough in some TC's.)

Don't know nuttin' about nobody elses motors YET - I haven't had the opportunity to test anyone elses (Thank you to NOVAK for giving us the opportunity and right to do various testing w/ your stuff)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Quote:
So I guess a small amount of research before jumping into brushless is too much to ask? All it takes is looking at the data, reading posts about comparing brushed to brushless (there are hundreds on here,) and just maybe a little for-knowledge of the systems and their characteristics.

No, we definitely don't want you to have to do any research or anything....
So, if you don't want to be helpfull, why'd you stick your $0.02 worth in?

I've done research, and I'm still confused, is that too much to ask!
Cyclone Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #39
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
So I guess a small amount of research before jumping into brushless is too much to ask?
maybe tekin should've done more research and maybe they would been able to release their speed control in time
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #40
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
The OLD 13.5's are basically the same as the 13.5 Ex Sport motors, but a few color changes and i.d. markers have been added to those motors.
Not to add to the "fog factor", but from what I've read and seen, there are actually THREE (3) versions of the Novak 13.5...
* The Original (Purple center ring, smooth endcaps, LARGE output shaft bearing, bonded rotor)...
* The PRO (Purple center ring, grooved endcaps, LARGE output shaft bearing, sintered rotor)...
* The EX (YELLOW center ring, smooth endcaps, STD/SMALL output shaft bearing, bonded rotor)...

I have an "original" and "Pro" versions, and the EX information comes from the specs on Novak's web site...
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #41

Ah...it's good to see brushless is taking the confusion and work out of racing..
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #42
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

what's so confusing about this? the ex is the equivalent replacement for the original 13.5 (no longer available), it has a bonded rotor. the ss13.5pro is what most racers were turning their 13.5 into by adding the sintered rotor. the 13.5 pro is the desired motor for tracks that allow sintered rotors.

how is that anymore confusing than picking a chassis? xray has the T2, the T2R, the T2 '007 EU, and the T2 '007 US. heck, corrally has like 8 different versions of their a-arms. talk about confusing.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #43
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smojoe View Post
http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...ors/index.html

If you want a 13.5 motor now, buy that one. Otherwise wait for other companies to release theirs to the public.

/thread
good god, did anyone even read my post? I solved all your "oh noes what do I do about brushless?!?" Orion, LRP, and Tekin 13.5 motors aren't even AVAILIBLE yet, so get your panties out of a bunch and buy the only 13.5 motor that you CAN.

And when the other motors DO come out, get together with the brushless stock guys at your track(s) and decide together what you want to run. People on here may know a lot, but they aren't necessarily the ones standing next to you on the driver's stand.

::goes back to 12th scale thread where people are more interested in info then their ego::
Old 07-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Right now at my local track, thge biggest class is easily stock rubber. Because it's the most popular, we don't want to mess with it too much or risk losing our core racers.
Right now we are looking into legalising the Novak EX13.5 for the stock rubber class. We have 3 or 4 guys practicing with the EX13.5 and the lap times are similar but are erring on the side of the brushless being faster. I think we only have one guy who is faster with brushed than brushless but he was running the EX13.5 with a Mamba Max and it didn't take it too well. However, nobody with a brushless motor has gone as fast as this guy has with a brushed motor so we're really not sure where to go from here. From everything I've heard, the 13.5pro is faster than the EX13.5 so right now, that isn't even an option.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I always thought 13.5 x 2 = 27

If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote