Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Look How far we've come in R/C and we still complain? >

Look How far we've come in R/C and we still complain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Look How far we've come in R/C and we still complain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Look How far we've come in R/C and we still complain?

A simple Futaba brown box radio.
You either raced 1/8 gas or 1/12th electric period.
Resistors for the throttle (electric)
Bringing a battery to charge you r/c batteries at race.There were no generators.
Tents-Now we have E-Z ups back in the days you assembled them- they came from Bolink.Then everyone copied them.
The first ESC ( Delta/Tekin).
Batteries -1200 SC no matched packs just specific date codes.
Chargers- the Associated direct charge cord. The timer charger and then a delta peak charger.
1/10th pan car to go with the 1/12ths.
No blowers - used a broom to clean the track
Sugar water was applied with a mop not a sprayer.
Clubs
Parking lot races and dreaming of one day a permanent track where we would not have to put down and tear down a track the say day.
Then came better Futaba radios more adjustments and FM.
And guess what everyone complained back then too. The only difference is now we have the internet.Now the few that actually say something now has a wider audience.

Last edited by BullFrog; 07-02-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

People just want to feel that they are right. It's kinda bizzare really because it shows that as a race of beings we can't really see the present moment.

Hey, one day we'll be on our deathbeds and there'll be nothing much to complain about when we know that we'll never be able tell our wife/kids/families that we love them anymore, to build that new car kit, walk that mountain trail, so many things that we do in life that are incredible.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default We Still Compain

i remunber them days And don't forget about them fast guy's compaining about us slow guy's and that the track layout was to eazy. LoL !!!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another complaint thread lol....

I cruised the Nitro forum today.. those guys all seem to be happy with their hobby.. maybe its time do get dirty and smelly lol.

I guess I'm lucky that i race with a bunch of like minded guys who just enjoy RC and wanna have fun. We have a local forum and a portable track (yes the back of my micro van is a mobile RC track kit lol) and just set it up were ever we can for drift and race.

Our unofficial non governed no rules "club" is actually gaining members where the local race club that follows the "race rules and regulations" is dwindling in numbers. I keep a swag of spare batts and motors and what ever and share em round with the younger newer guys so they can enjoy having a go.. lets see your "don't look over my shoulder" sponsored racers do that.

I have said it before.. racing is what you make of it. find the like minded people to enjoy your hobby with or go and compete with the pro's.. make a choice and make the best of it and lets stop bitching about how it all should be.

Last edited by Phroz; 07-02-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Now look what we have:
Batteries from 1200's- 4600's and now lipos
Radios with no crystals now we don't have to worry about radio hits.Plus you can put what 3-10 cars on one radio. Before it was one car-one radio.
ESC's-the total elimination of a servo and a resistor. Truely a better thing than when they were introduced.
Generators and power supplies.
Soldering iron that don't work off a battery.
Tents E-Z ups and Trailers that have A/C.
Permanent tracks no more set-up and tear down the track.
Just go around and look at the pits nowadays. The stuff we have is nothing like what was there years ago.
Motors- the 540 mabuchi could not do anything except water dip them and re-zap the maganets(if you had a zapper or your friend had one).The came the Lemans kyosho motors were you could replace the brushes, Then came the com cutters,Next motor was the totally rebuildable stock motor. Now we have the brushless.
Everything is getting better for electric but we hear from the few on the internet. I'm alot older and I've seen alot and it's getting better- now get some new racers into the hobby.There are many old ways to do this but it's to much time and effort.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Heh, I found a traxxas control from about a decade ago, what a peice of junk :P, it still works too haha, but uh, in all seriousness, I'm not a racer, so I still use my old stuff, most MaH I have is 1800 :P, my magnum junior. is older than my nephew, but it does it's job, more importantly, it works better than my newer radio :P, guess I'm old school, but people complain because they want more, I'm happy with what I have, and it gives me a fun output