R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Should manufacturers be prevented from sponsoring stock brushless drivers?

Since stock brushless racing is in its infancy, perhaps the R/C industry needs to rethink its old penchant for screwing things up with lavish sponsorships for new customers and entry-level stock racers.

If all factory sponsorship could be dis-allowed for the upcoming brushless stock revolution, what do you see as the benefits and pitfalls of such a transformation?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Would top drivers support the technology if they didnt get a sponsorship? I think lots of people look up to the top guys and if they will refuse to run a certain technology due to not getting a sponsorship would it hinder its acceptance?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Would top drivers support the technology if they didnt get a sponsorship? I think lots of people look up to the top guys and if they will refuse to run a certain technology due to not getting a sponsorship would it hinder its acceptance?
I would say it would for sure.
bill941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

It is an interesting thought. If you look at it from an entry level standpoint, how many newbies even care what top level drivers are running? They are going to ask people they know and/or people at the track and hobby shop what they run. Maybe it will allow the stock class to become the entry level class that some think it was intended for. Hmmm....
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Company Representative

Quote:
ROAR will most likely not allow Stock brush and brushless to compete head to head, so it would allow an upward path for non-sponsored, stock brushless competitors to also become top drivers.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

with the current 13.5 motors, no. but i also think the current 13.5 motors are too fast for what should be the slowest class.. if something like the new 17.5 were the entry level, by all means keep it an amateur class.

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Do you mean motor sponsors? Or battery, car, tire, body etc?
Nice concept but whats to prevent a company from "unofficially" sponsoring someone? How do you prove someone is sponsored?
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i dont really get the question....

Why? It would be up to ROAR to put that in the stock class rules. And or it would be up to indiviual tracks or clubs to say no sponsored drivers in stock. Again you could not prevent manufactures from giving out freebies to drivers. Also its not just manufactures that offer sponsorship, it could be a hobby shop, a club, a business or a parent

As for stock brushless there are no rules or regulations for that class yet. Sure where there where a ROAR stock brushless rule like the ROAR stock brushed rule
Old 07-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
Company Representative

For many years, the electric R/C manufacturers have been trying to figure out how to attract more badly-needed customers; at the same time these same companies often continue to sponsor local stock drivers.

This is counter-productive. As we all know--and it has been well-documented---many new customers (enthusiastic novices) are almost immediately discouraged from continuing once they discover how many stock drivers are sponsored in some fashion. They cannot compete or even have access to the same hot items.

I'm suggesting that there may be a small window of opportunity to do things differently--where BL stock racing is concerned. BL technology should lend itself to a new level playing field, if the manufacturers don't mess it up.

Other threads have already brought up the possibility of some companies rewinding 13.5T motors for sponsored drivers, so they will have an edge! So if some pro-active guidelines are not suggested soon, things will just spiral downwards.

Without stock BL sponsorships, tracks and LHS should be able to sell more products, because they don't have to worry about their local customers buying direct from various factories. Local Stock BL guidelines, which exclude sponsored drivers, would have to be enforced at the local level by the tracks or clubs.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
Tech Elite

i just think it's oversimplified and ignores that fact that there are going to be sponsored drivers, and in most places there aren't enough racers to have two classes.. unless your exclusively talking FACTORY sponsorships, not smaller sponsorships.. i sat within 10 feet of two nationally recognized motor builders at a club race yesterday.. we had 9 cars total in touring..

Old 07-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post

Other threads have already brought up the possibility of some companies rewinding 13.5T motors for sponsored drivers, so they will have an edge! So if some pro-active guidelines are not suggested soon, things will just spiral downwards.
I would support anything that would prevent the motor tuners from spoiling the brushless motor. If we have a bunch of motor tuners tweaking brushless motors and ESC what do we gain? We all spend $50 or $100 or whatever it is to get the tweak and we all finish in the same order just .05 seconds per laps faster and with less money.

Nothing against the motor tuners I just dont see the need with brushless motors, at least in stock brushless.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
I would support anything that would prevent the motor tuners from spoiling the brushless motor. If we have a bunch of motor tuners tweaking brushless motors and ESC what do we gain? .
why tweek brushless the motors they are fast already , why waste time and money trying to make them faster?? oh i see you would have a pretty sticker on the motor
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
i just think it's oversimplified and ignores that fact that there are going to be sponsored drivers, and in most places there aren't enough racers to have two classes.. unless your exclusively talking FACTORY sponsorships, not smaller sponsorships.. i sat within 10 feet of two nationally recognized motor builders at a club race yesterday.. we had 9 cars total in touring..
This question refers to companies in the R/C industry, which have the ability to unfairly provide prototype items (which may never be offered to the public) to local stock racers. Win at any Cost!

Perhaps, there would be more entries if drivers thought they had a chance to compete?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
This question refers to companies in the R/C industry, which have the ability to unfairly provide prototype items (which may never be offered to the public) to local stock racers. Win at any Cost!

Perhaps, there would be more entries if drivers thought they had a chance to compete?
ahh i'm picking up what your putting down... not to reiterate, but i still think the fast guys would leave the class alone were it slower (much)... you don't see pro's spanking the newbs in the mini coopers.. lol

Old 07-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
Company Representative

Quote:
I would support anything that would prevent the motor tuners from spoiling the brushless motor. If we have a bunch of motor tuners tweaking brushless motors and ESC what do we gain? We all spend $50 or $100 or whatever it is to get the tweak and we all finish in the same order just .05 seconds per laps faster and with less money.

Nothing against the motor tuners I just dont see the need with brushless motors, at least in stock brushless.
Tweaking and tuning may be inevitable. However the tweaked/tuned items would then have to be marketed to the general public, not just provided to sponsored stock drivers in order to win races.