R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #301
Tech Legend

Customer ask`s, "do you have part#20169 ?"

Shop representative say `s " Sold out yesterday but I can you another one by Friday."

Customer reply`s "Ahhh never mind I`ll get it myself."

A story that is heard all the time these day`s......
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Sooo...what's the excuse when Pegasus, Speedtech and Losipartshouse can all seem to sell a pair of Losi 1/10th tires for about $10 (Rev is $12 or so), while Hobbytown is $15?

You're funny on the "Southern California isn't running out of land" bit...LOL Yeah, Tamiya's track is going away because land is so cheap...LOL...so is SoCal. Gimme a break. I drive 30+ miles to race on Saturday night at Pegasus...it's 40-something to SoCal (while it lasts). That's it for 1/10 scale around here...you can run at Rev (25-30) on the 1/8th track (pretty fun, but you'll be alone)...drive 50+ to Banning, 50+ to SVM, 70+ to Family Hobbies.

Charlie (OC Circuit) has the only regular (2X month in parking lots) 1/10th onroad program in SoCal aside from the deal that "Tireshredder" does at the park out in OC.

Mecca...LOL...for manufacturers maybe. I can be at Novak, Orion or HPI in 20-25 minutes, but they don't race there.

Everyone could buy every part at double list at SoCal and they wouldn't be able to afford 20 grand a month in rent the new owner wants. I bought lots of stuff at SoCal when I raced there. They had lots of cool stuff and their prices were pretty decent on most of it. I'm not going to pay $130 for a servo or anything stupid, but I dropped 50-70 bucks every time I went there (1-2X a week for a while)

You guys are very naive and self-centered when it comes to this stuff. No wonder tracks are closing. You don't want to pay for racing and you think everyone else should pitch in to keep it cheap. Like I said, no wonder tracks are closing...
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #303
Tech Apprentice

I must admit that I don't spend much at my LHS, mostly because they do not carry anything for my car. There are so many different models of RC cars that it is near impossible to keep parts in stock for all of them. I do pay to race out in the parking lot and do what I can to make purchases at the LHS. I feel that customer service and advice goes a long way to retaining customers even if the part is more $. I would rather pay more for an item, and have some friendly conversation along with it, than order in the middle of the night on the puter, and wait to get it.

I would have to agree with anyone who says a 10% mark up is not going to make you any money. I did pricing for a wholesale jewelry company and most items had a 70%-85% mark up and that was to sell it wholesale, retail on the other hand was anywhere from 140% to 200%.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #304
Tech Elite

Customer: "Do you have a shock tower for a Kyosho Lazer?"

Shithead behind counter, (rolling eyes, disgusted look): "A what?"

Customer: "It's an electric 4wd buggy and there are 6 of them racing out back tonight"

Shithead behind counter (still rolling eyes, still with disgusted look): "Never heard of it, we don't have anything for those."

Customer (rolling eyes, disbelief): "You're kidding" (walks away)

(note: Pegasus has half a 7' slider wall of Lazer parts)

Yeah...they "deserve" the business...LOL On my second trip back inside, I tracked down someone I knew and we found the board...but you get the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Customer ask`s, "do you have part#20169 ?"

Shop representative say `s " Sold out yesterday but I can you another one by Friday."

Customer reply`s "Ahhh never mind I`ll get it myself."

A story that is heard all the time these day`s......
Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #305
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
You guys are very naive and self-centered when it comes to this stuff. No wonder tracks are closing. You don't want to pay for racing and you think everyone else should pitch in to keep it cheap. Like I said, no wonder tracks are closing...
Cmon Joe, that's uncalled for. That has nothing to do with nothing with this thread and I see nowhere people talking about "cheap" in a selfish manner. Instead I see them trying to promote buying from the track in a community minded manner.
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #306
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
Cmon Joe, that's uncalled for. That has nothing to do with nothing with this thread and I see nowhere people talking about "cheap" in a selfish manner. Instead I see them trying to promote buying from the track in a community minded manner.

Joe last couple posts has been harsh but he makes more sense than what others are trying to suggest.

Most on here has been saying to support a HobbyShop/Track by paying 40% difference in items. tires are the best example, If the price difference were $5 per set I would mostlikely just buy those items at the track so I don't have to bother going on line and buying in bulk. Tracks with hobby shops just need to really see if it is a profitable business if not, close it. Some of the suggestions are borderline charity work and not everyone will pitch in consistently and that is why you see Indoor tracks closing left and right. The incoming money cannot support the expenses.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #307
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
Right! And since California is unlikely to run out of land any time soon, TurboJoe won't know what NYC/NJ racers are going through. Our population density is INSANE, yet we can't keep tracks open nor can we keep parking lot race sites. We've had some of the most stellar tracks in the country from time to time, but none of them can keep up with the rising rents, leases, and land values here.

Joe, one of your comments burns me .... you keep incinuating that Horsham and South Shore were "ripping off the customers to subsidize the track" as your example of how shops/tracks should NOT conduct business. You have never seen either of those tracks, nor do you know what we're going through here in the NYC area. Instead of restating your opinion over and over again, why not suggest some different strategies for future shop owners to implement? The ideas you've had were already tried and failed. The problem we're up against is bigger than you admit. The one constant, online pricing from the huge distributors! It's obvious you care enough to post huge responses, just try a different approach.
South Shore's prices were ridiculous... The people who raced there did not buy their parts there... When a Reedy QM can be had for around $34 on the way to the track, who would you pay $59 there???
Old 07-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #308
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
Let's see...$20 entries? "That's too much. I'd rather pay $50 for a set of Sorex tires...and make every other person that buys at the store pay the same, whether they race or not"

I do buy local when I can. I just don't buy stupid and I don't buy just to tithe.

If the track can't support itself based on entries alone...then it closes. Entries are how you support a track, not gouging people for parts. One has nothing to do with the other...or it shouldn't. You either have a viable track or you don't.

Just like not everybody in Idaho (or SoCal, for that matter) has a nearby track, not everybody in New York gets one just because they want one. If it was that important to you, then open one or move closer to one.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #309
Tech Legend

Turbo , if I can ask , where do you race your ride ?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #310
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Joe last couple posts has been harsh...
I'm not trying to be harsh, I apologize if I have been.

I do get frustrated at people when they give lip service to economics, but then they ignore the part that doesn't suit their particular circumstances. I may not like it when a track closes...we've had dozens of local tracks close in this area over the years...but I get why it does...because racing toy cars on a weekly basis isn't exactly a mainstream activity and property is expensive.

It's a fringe activity at best and the sooner we all acknowledge it, the better. That way people can develop a viable business model based on the actual people that go to your track or store.

Dana seems to be kicking butt at Rev...so is the shop. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #311
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Turbo , if I can ask , where do you race your ride ?
Which ride?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #312
Tech Legend

never mind.....
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #313
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Fact #1: I used to work in hotel sales and our profit margin on rooms averaged out to be 70%. Most businesses shoot for 20% and if they don't make that number, they usually don't stay in business for too long. LHS/tracks are lucky to get 10% if that. For instance, I can buy losi 2wd pink taper pins at losipartshouse.com for about the same amount of money that my lhs/track buys them at "wholesale" from Horizon. There's nothing wrong with that if you're just a basher looking for a good price on tires, but there is something wrong with that if you want your lhs/track to actually stay in business.

Fact #2: At least 40 people need to be racing every weekend if a track hopes to stay in the black without relying on some sort of retail income. If you look around and see less than 40 people at your local track on a regular basis, you'd better be doing a great job of supporting it or you'll be racing from sewer lid to sewer lid, like Cherry says.

This is only one of many reasons why indoor tracks are dropping like flies. I really don't see an immediate remedy for the situation other than racers making a conscious decision to use the power of their dollars to support the lhs/tracks before they all disappear. I'm not saying that you should lavish money on a track owned and operated by a bunch of pricks, but at least support the good people in this industry...
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #314
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
Fact #1:For instance, I can buy losi 2wd pink taper pins at losipartshouse.com for about the same amount of money that my lhs/track buys them at "wholesale" from Horizon.
LOL...c'mon...if you think that Horizon is giving R/C Hobbies in La Mirada (Losipartshouse.com) some sweet deal...then what's the reason that Speedtech and Pegasus get the same deal?

They're not exactly the easiest WD to get in with and they don't exactly take kindly to online-only operations from what I've seen and heard. They're pretty hard-core about it.

Sell more, buy more, get better deals. That's how business works. Volume and turn rate is everything.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #315
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The REAL reason that tracks and hobby stores are droppin like flies is simple.

Most are under planned and under funded. A poor business plan will kill you and it is suprising how many of these shops open with out a good business plan. How much funding you will need will be dictated by your business plan. These are basic business rules that never seem to get followed. There are some standouts that have made it but the majority WILL FAIL. Sorry.....

If a real business man looked into opening up a track and hobby store he would probably think that there are better investments for his money elsewhere and go do one of those instead.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote