R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #181
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Totally agree, it is still a business and it should be up to track owners to make it work. If charging more is whats needed then they should do it.
Wow! I agree with this simple ( and bold ) approach. Yet, it feels a bit risky. No track owner ( or any business owner ) wants to price themselves out of business by charging to much.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default tracks supporting themselves

Many people agree with what is said in many of these threads, the problem is that few people want to get into an online debate that focuses on ideas rather than muted name calling. I will go on record and admit that I buy many things used from rctech and that I buy from tower hobbies using coupons.

In my opinion, r/c shops should carry consumables (tires, compounds, motors,) for the racers, and rtr items for the bashers. If the hobby shops pay horizon 5% under tower prices, there is almost no reason to carry racer inventory that horizon distributes. In the end, they will make more money by devoting their limited resources to the rtr and basher market.

Tracks must raise entry fees. PERIOD.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #183
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Paying a due for a reserved pitspace sounds silly, at first, but then I consider how many people bitch over their coveted 2'x3' plot of tabletop. I'd pay for it.

Paying yearly dues is the backbone of Jackson R/C in NJ. The dues allow gate access to the track during all daylight hours and discounted entry fees. The revenue that brings in helps to stabilize the business when other factors take revenue away. They only have an outdoor facility, and between the weather and the ever encrouching carpet season, their time span to make revenue is TIGHT ...... but the business is definitely surviving. Quite frankly, if the bulk of their customers weren't the A-B main at all the big carpet races, they'd be doing even better than they are now. Come the end of July (just when it's getting warm), most of their customers head indoors to prepare for the Vegas race.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #184
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
...At most big races, the entry fee is $25-$30 per class (without handout anything.) At club races, it is $10-$15, WHY? Club races should be $20 at the MINIMUM.
Big races hppen 1-2 times a month maybe. Where I'm at we can race twice a week locally and as offetn as 4 times if I'm willing to drive up to Phx. $20 per class would be too much. That's why club races are $10-$15.

E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #185
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
Paying a due for a reserved pitspace sounds silly, at first, but then I consider how many people bitch over their coveted 2'x3' plot of tabletop. I'd pay for it.
Reserved pit space... NICE

E
Old 07-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

So If I bring my own table to the track, I have to pay to pit on it? Hmm somethings wrong with that.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #187
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

$20-25 wouldn't be a big deal if it included a decent amount of practice time (not that I actually use it...LOL) and be able to run more than one class.

I've been running three classes lately and it's 20-25 bucks...depending on who's taking the money. It's a lot, but I'm driving all night and I have a blast. It's totally worth it...at least for me.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #188
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's what it really comes down to. Those that think racing is worth it will pay out the money. Those that are on the fence or are trying to get by for nothing will end up leaving the hobby.
Schuie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #189
Tech Master

rasing race fee's are great, but not if you race more than once per week. Its not about being on the 'fence' its about whats reasonable. $20 entry x 2 classes x racing 2/wk = $80/wk x 4 wkend = $360 on race fees per month. hmmm. put me on the fence watching the "hobby"

E
Old 07-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #190
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
So If I bring my own table to the track, I have to pay to pit on it? Hmm somethings wrong with that.
If only your extraneous height guaranteed a equally excessive amount of common sense. BYOT facilities aside, some tracks have permanent tables that gain affection from various locals over their careers, and if the establishment can make a buck on that, so be it.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 PM   #191
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
rasing race fee's are great, but not if you race more than once per week. Its not about being on the 'fence' its about whats reasonable. $20 entry x 2 classes x racing 2/wk = $80/wk x 4 wkend = $360 on race fees per month. hmmm. put me on the fence watching the "hobby"

E
I don't know that anyone has even entertained a thought about 40-50 dollar entry fees. I would imagine that fees that high would drive a lot of people out. We're just saying that $5-10 entries are a little on the low side...$15-20 may be more realistic.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #192
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default how about charging a monthly racing price

The $20 to race would include 2 classes since it costs the track little if a racer runs 2 classes instead of 1. Also by running 2 classes, the shop has more opportunity to sell consumables.

Another idea is to charge a monthly racing price that would include unlimited racing for a month. That way you could put a cap on the racing expenses but still guarantee income for the track. You could also have a practice and racing package that would include unlimited racing and practice for a month.

If you race 2x week x4 weeks x $20 = $160, the monthly racing fee could be $100 if paid in advance. This comes out to $12 a race for the whole month. You could also say $120 for practice and racing for a month.

If you race 1x week x4 weeks x $20 = $80, the monthly racing fee could be $50 if paid in advance. This comes out to $12 a race for the whole month. You could also say $60 for practice and racing for a month.

The benefit of doing something like this is that racers would have an incentive to race since they have already paid for it, ensuring turnout and competition.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #193
Tech Elite

We were talking 20-ish and allowing multiple classes...
Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 AM   #194
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Paying $30 as a club due will not kill anyone. If it does they shouldn't be racing. $30 is 1 set of tires, or 1 motor.
You don't know an individuals financial situation - and what they can or can't afford...and just because a guy can't compete with someone else on the 'spending level' means HE SHOULDN'T BE RACING - well then I can tell you over 2/3rd of the guys I've been racing with for over 20 years..SHOULDN'T BE RACING - but because they've raced and spent SMART they get to race with in their bugdet..and have the kind of FUN they choose to have.

Quote:
Guys have thousands in equipment, yet will not spend $30 to let a track pay for necessities? If it isn't worth $30 or even $50 anually to save a track for each racer, that racer doesn't deserve to have a track to race at.
Maybe we can get guys like you to kick that extra $30 - $50 per racer into the kitty... J/K, but in all seriousness you take a guy who is 29 years old, works a full time job to get him family fed, housed, and keep his 2 kids in clothes...this guy gets a part time job to help FEED his hobby and he spends 10-15 hours a week working just so he CAN go to the local track 2 - 3 times a month (if he's lucky - I know some guys who would KILL to be able to make 10 races a YEAR) These guys have 2nd hand equipment, motors, tires, and they still have a BLAST on race day...but would they show up if it was going to cost them $50.00 , $60.00 per race? Probably Not - probably not even $20-25.

Quote:
From a budget point of view, if a racer can't afford $30 per year as a club due, they really have to re-examine if they can afford r/c racing, and if they can't, it is not the track owners responsibility to float them so they can race.
Don't disagree - but it is a track owner/promoters job to HAVE Racers - and be creative about how to GET and KEEP them...and sometimes a little sugar goes A LONG way...

Quote:
I didn't think racers would balk at increasing race entry fees by $5 or $10. I guess I was wrong. Oh well, enjoy your track while you have it.
My thoughts have always been mixed on the money issues relating racing...because there are people from so many mixed areas of life and financial zones... But I'm a thinker who thinks QUANTITY at lower prices vs. QUALITY at higher prices for everything in life. I ask myself am I willing to take a LOWER quality for a Great price...and on some things I am very willing too.

If you could have 15 racers who CAN easily pay $50 for their entry today vs. 50 who could pay $15, which makes for the BETTER event?

Both would generate $750 in entries - one would create very short tight race day - and have probably 2 heats... The other 5 or 6 heats - and more spread out less 'crammed down your throat' type of race day..and probably some good racing along the way.

Now, cut your entries by 2 - and which cost you MORE money?

If you lost 2 of the 50 - and needed the extra $$$ the other 48 might be an easy sell to get 3 or 4 bucks a piece out of to cover expenses... But, drop 2 of the 15 and try to get the other 13 to cover the lost $100.00 might be more difficult.

Plain and simply - we have to start thinking 'outside' the box on how/where to get the $$$ to keep race programs alive.

Maybe some type of local advertising program with local companies to help cover expenses... (Local car dealership, realty company, hardware store, etc)

Nothing big - but maybe $25.00 per race event or something with a 3 or 4 event deal upfront.

Purchase deals - (I know most HOBBYSHOPS won't do this...but non store type track/clubs could) Locate GREAT Bulk Buy deals - and share the cost savings...to free up some $$$ that would have been spent on Parts and Accessories...and shift it toward race entries. (Tires, Bodies, Batteries, Motors, etc)

If my buget is for 2 sets of tires a month (FOAM TIRES @ 19pr) I'm looking at roughly $80.00 mo. for tires with tax, if I was able to get those for $60.00 - that frees up $20.00 that I don't mind forking over toward the racing...

GET CREATIVE GUYS - The SAME old SAME old ISN'T WORKING anymore~
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:09 AM   #195
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How about no place to race - your tack is closed down- the city promises a new track site- people paying 40.00 to join a club---"with no place to race".Well they can practice at the present site but that is it ( for the past several months).No racing allowed at the practice site. Welcome to Jacksonville (oh this is off-road).Paying for pit tables spaces- seen it done before and have no problem with it.Even had my own made only to have the track close in three months.It was so bad they could not even put cokes in the machine for us to buy.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote